We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Kidabra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Anyone going to the Kidabra Conference in Aug?? This will be the first year I will be attending. I wanted to go last year, but did not find out about it in time.

Having never been to a conference before, I am unsure what to expect. I am hoping it will be well worth the 12 hour drive from Canada. IF any of you "old hats" can give me some more information, it would be appreciated.
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
You will love it!
But I have a word of CAUTION for you: Leave the Credit card at home. Bring cash & traveller's checks for only the amount you are willing to part with.

Going to a magic convention is much like going to Vegas - you wake up one morning & think: what have I done & where is my money!??!?? There will be LOTS of goodies for you to buy there.

You will find there is more going on than you can schedule: lectures, shows, contests, products, sales, break out sessions, autographs, classes and more sales! Highlight your schedule with the things you absolutely MUST do & see, then go from there. You'll love it.
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
Me and the Clown (the women I'm married to) went for the 1st time last year. WOW!!!.
It is NOT a normal Magic Convention. It is most apply called a Conference focused on the Business of Family Entertainment. 5 Days of intense (but fun) workshops, Specially shows (ie- XMAS, Halloween, etc), talking to others that have already done what you want to do. We are still going through notes & material we got there. We were busy from 10AM - 11PM and that doesn't include the impromtu late night talks.
And don't forget the Dealers & Auction. Whatever you do, "DO NOT TAKE ANY OF JIM SNACKS MARKETING COURSE!" I prefer to keep that stuff secret for myself!!!!....lol.
Because it was so intense this year we plan on taking the whole week off and staying there several extra days just to unwind.
Yours,
Aragorn & Gleeks
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Shane, consider signing up for the optional Marketing Day that precedes the conference. This one day gives you enough ideas and material to potentially double the average performer's income within a year. It is not included in the standard KIDabra registration but is well worth the extra fee and day.

The auction generally lasts...what, Aragorn...7-9 hours nonstop? With some outstanding bargains...great if you're driving...sucks if you're flying. Everything from small pocket stuff to hard-to-find collectibles to bulk items to full stage illusions. The auction is Cash Only...so forget about cards and checks and plan ahead!

The Dealers' Room(s) traditionally covers roughly 2000 Sq Ft or more. They're also expecting an entertainment photographer this year...so, if you need new promo shots, bring along your wardrobe and a few favorite props. The dealers have also provided in the past: Onsite custom logo embroidery, Custom silk design, Website design, Custom sound systems, Full character costumes, Puppets and Vent characters, royalty free performance music, and nearly anything magical you can imagine.

If you're looking for a roommate to share expenses, visit the KIDabra Forum
( http://www.kidabra.com ) and post an "Ad".

Finally, prepare for plenty of one-on-one time with the top names in the Kidshow Biz. I've always felt that a conference on the business of magic should, in effect, pay for itself through increased profits and income streams. KIDabra does this and more. I only attend this one conference a year now. In my opinion, all the others are mere social get-togethers that suck the money out of your pockets and give nothing back. If you're a pro kidshow performer, this is the only conference you'll need!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Weather I am lecturing or not at Kidabra I always X out my book to be there.

DITO to what everyone said above.

For me it is a week of recharging after a very busy summer of library shows. I get countless ideas that I use by going. Hanging out and talking with everyone there is highlight for me.

See ya guys there!
Ken
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Sounds like a great time!! I had already planned on being there the night before (the 15th) and hopefully I can be there in time for the marketing day ( I think it starts at 7:00 pm (hopefully I am still awake afet the 12 hour drive!! LOL)

I am not too worried about leaving my credit card at home, as I can only bring so much back across the border into Canada before they ding me with duty/customs fees. I am going more for the information than anything else.

I just started my magic as an official "business" this week so I am hoping to get lots of information regarding marketing/advertising,(not one of my strenghts) as well as hopefully picking up tons of tips to improve my show.

Hope to meet some of you there!!!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Looking forward to my first Kidabra! See you all there.

Best,
James
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Whoa! James at KIDabra! This is going to be sweet!!! Bring along some of your books and CD's, James...and save one set for me!!!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Thinking of the KIDABRA Conference, David Ginn seems strangely conspicuous by his absence. Is he booked elsewhere that week?

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Hello Shane, ...Since you asked....

I'm from NJ and it is about 10-12 hour drive from South Jersey, I would think the drive might be a little longer.

Lots can be said about the KIDabra International Conference, but below are some Links and highlights to what is going on this year.

Schedule: First, this link provides you with the happenings at the KIDabra International Conference. Lots of great lectures.

Unlike most conventions, this is a conference where professional children entertainers, teach, and sell the latest effects designed for children or family shows. For instance, Chance Wolf will be there with his line of fantastic products, as well as Steve Axtell and his line of "puppets". There are no contests or close-up magic sessions, like typical conventions.

Prior to the Conference, every year their are numerous lectures on Marketing, so you get great tips on how to get more shows and make more money. Every so many years, a special is run on gospel magic. This year there will be a optional track for those who love to do Gospel Magic, with great entertainers in this field such as Duane Laflin, and Barry Mitchell.

On Marketing two of the greatest lectures BJ Hickman and Jim Snack will be there along with funny guy Greg McMann, and Ed Wade's "How to teach a Magic Class". (He sold out of them last year but I got one and love it!) Ed wase has a step by step product for teaching a magic class that is worth the whole market day session!

Then there is the worlds best Auction with lots of great buys, with funny man Gary Shelton as the auctioneer. My first year, I spent every penny I brought on that first auction and walked away with lots of great STUFF! Now, I'm a little more controlled. I look over the hundreds of items and pick and choose only those items I definitely will use, or books I know are out of print, or, marketing material that normally sells for hundreds of dollar going for 20/40 dollars. Last year I got th Vanishing Radio for $300, a buy of the conference! I missed out on the floating Fire Truck ($200) and the Hindu Basket ($100). See the pictures of some of the items that were sold Here.

When I get past these two day, I already bought a lot and hit the ATM machines for more cash!

Thursday Morning the learning begins, on backdrops, significance of educational shows, a themed halloween shows, Live birthday party show and lecture, character development, Duane Laflin's favorite Kid Show Effects and why he loves them, then comes an evening of side splitting laughter with Scott Francis ribbing, and clowing with the dealers as they present their best wares. (Go to the men's room before this show). After the Dealer's show, then into the dealer's room I go to spend more money and talk to the leading professionals in the world of children entertainment. Everyone is so friendly, and helpful. Southern hospitality is in full bloom here in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

Before I retire for the evening, I go over my notes, and the lecture notes and make more notes to remind myself what I learned that day. The stuff I don't want to forget from an overload of great material. Writing it down, allows me a better chance of recall when I get home, as well as make notes on the KIDabra Forum I look over my finances and plan what items I really like and will use in the next year.

Exhausted from so much fun and educational material, Friday arrives with a bang of two great men in the world of magic, Jim Snack and BJ Hickman. Both are my top favorite lectures. Followed by the creative genius of Barry Mitchell and Illusionist Terry Evanswood. What a team those two make, more side splitting laughter as well as learning more great stuff. Then we get a break, lunch and BANG right back to Ken Scott's Library show. If you saw his DVD then you know what you are in for, more great material for your library show. A Back-to-Back Powerhouse of professional!

Now comes the tough part, the break-out sessions. You got to pick two of five great events going on at the same time. All funny people. Who do you Pick, Steve Kissel, Mike Bent, Greg McMann, Carol Collins, or Rich Hubbard. Each are great learning sessions. I can't make up my mind... I want to see them all! I wish these were recorded and video taped. I'd buy them for sure!

Then comes the evening show, on a topic we all are familiar with, the Birthday Party. KIDabra Staff will present and produce a DVD on Birthday Party magic you can do! The Halloween show, the Christmas show were fantastic hits, now add in the KIDabra Special on Birthday parties and you got a dynamic trio of powerhouse kidshow routines.

Saturday morning, after looking again through the dealer's room, we are off to see the Terry Evanswood Illusion show. Now if you are not into illusions (Which I love and wouldn't miss for anything!) This gives you a break to see what is around the area that morning, however, you will miss one of the best Illusion Shows ever! Terry promises us some stuff we never saw and knowing Terry, you will have a great time with this superb showman.

That afternoon, we get more good stuff with David Kaye's (Silly Billy) lecture on running gags, something that has been discussed manytime on the Magic Café, followed by the Famous Steve Axtell and his fantastic buddies and farm animals. The afternoon ends with the internationally known and loved entertainer Trevor Lewis.

We get a break to go through the Dealer's room then off to the KIDabra International Gala Show, concluding the conference with lots of more laughter and fun. (Then it's a rush to get next year's prime seating by early registration.) One last vist to the dealer's room then collapse for the evening.

All of last year's fun can be viewed through the 2005 Conference Storybook

I hope this gives you an idea what you are in for. As was said by several KIDabra Members, "This is the only convention/conference I attend!" That comment I understand, however, I do attend others!

Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Phill,

I believe David Ginn is booked overseas during that period. At least that is what he emailed me, and Steve Taylor, wants to take a break from KIDbara this year and develop more stuff for next year! (He said he didn't have anything new for this year)

Two years ago, David did the same thing.
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Skip mentioned roomate finder, to help defray the costs of the hotel.

Aragorn mentioned he goes earlier. When my wife and son go, I go a week ahead and have fun with them in Pigeon Forge, and Galingburg (five miles south). We do horseback riding, whitewater Rafting, Miniature Golfing, go to different shows, and shops. Lots to do for the family.
Dennis Michael
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Dennis -
Thanks for confirming that. I just wanted to make sure he was still involved in KI in some way.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Den,

I went on mapquest.com to get the driving directions. I live near Niagara Falls Canada. It says the total trip is 727 miles and 11 hours 36 minutes, so that is what I was going by. OF course that may not be totally accurate, but I have found mapquest to be very close to what they actually say it will be. (I am at least hoping it is close, otherwise I'll have to be leaving at 2 am in the morning!! LOL)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Map quest estimates: 10 hours, 30 minutes Distance: 637 miles from my house, NOT considering breaks, Gas, and an hour of sleep. Approximately $275-300 dollars in gas round trip. Plane fare may be cheaper!
Dennis Michael
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I was thinking the same thing with gas prices the way they are.
The costs may be close but you save lots of time flying.
I won't be making the conference myself.
Daniel Faith
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Mapquest indicates 1860 miles from my house - 26 hours. That's one way.
Not sure if I can go this year and I need to go!
kidshowguy
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of kidshowguy
Greetings:
While it's only a 4 hour drive for me, my friend Chris flies in from Phoenix to attend every year. Trixie Bond alternates between flying and driving each year and it's 1300 miles when she drives form Texas. And then there is my buddy Jossip (Jozo Bozo) who travels from Croatia each year, I'd be afraid to see what Mapquest tells him. "If there's a will there's a way" they say.
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
No Matter. I am actually looking forward to the drive. I think I have convinced a friend of mine and his wife to come down with me. (Although they are not magicians, they were just going to come down for a vacation. I am sure they can find lots to do in the area) So at least I will be able to split the gas and driving which will make it a little easier.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

By myself Flying looks ggo, with the family, driving is a better option.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Kidabra (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL