We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building "The Thing" (by Bill Abbott) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Yes, Bill is still selling them at his lecture. As for the previous question about the fabric, you have to use polyester fabric. You can to to JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby and get some nice 100% polyester that has a shine to it that works great! Once the cloth is sewn, you'll need to take an iron to it. Pay attention to the fabric settings on the iron - if you don't, you'll burn it. If you do it right, it will look very impressive!
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Apparently Morrissey Magic actually is manufacturing "The Thing". They have tons of stock. Shoot Dan or Richard a quick email (link on the site) and they'll hook you up. Great guys. I buy tons of my magic from them.
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Just picked up a copy of Bill Abbott's - Stand Up Magic for Kids DVD....very very cool. I sat through the performance of "The Thing" and of "Chico - the Mindreader" twice.....so hilarious. Even if you never plan on performing either of these effects (and I don't know why you would glance over "The Thing"....so much potential in practically any situation) you should definitely pick up the DVD just to see the performance of "Chico - The Mindreader".

As far as "The Thing" is concerned, I'm surprised he doesn't mention anything about where to find that awesome clear box. I think Wal-Mart has something like that in their makeup section. I really love the look of that box. Much better to use something that's clear, than a regular opaque box....adds to the mystery.

I will be building my "The Thing" gimmick this weekend. I have quite a few fabric stores which sell a satin type of material that I think would be perfect for the effect.

I will post my results once complete. I'm a bit curious as to the "inner stitchings" which he mentions, and if they are very noticable. I guess I'll go to my local shop and see one that's made to get an idea of how they are done.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
One further point, the stitching on the inside - I think this is what "RabbitInDaHat" was referring to as "Inner Stitchings" - are VERY important. If you leave off this feature, your cloth absolutely will not hang right. When my wife did the stitching on mine, she had to do them by hand - one on each of the four sides - and each only took a few loose stitches to hold just fine.
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Are they noticable from anyone who looks at "the thing" close up (not in their face, but maybe in a parlour setting)? I'm assuming the thread used should be the same colour as the cloth.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Nope! She used similar colored thread and it's not even noticeable at all unless you actually pick up the gimmick to examine it. And I don't know a magician in the world who's going to let a spec pick up the gimmick. There's that extra special "something" for them to examine instead. Smile
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Gotcha Smile

now....funny enough, I'm having a REALLY hard time finding the actual "THING" piece. I've been to tons of stores I thought would carry such an item, but either they have similar things that are too small, or not made out of the required material. Any tips on where I could find it the right size? Smaller ones are really easy to find, but one that is big enough is really hard to find.

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building "The Thing" (by Bill Abbott) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL