The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Schools (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I'm interested in attending a magic school to further my magic.

I've recieved info about the Chavez Studio of Magic and also the school ran by the Magic Castle.

I've also had nothing but good reviews about McBride's Master Classes.

Any comments, suggestions, schools?

I'm looking for a school with a regular curriculum that can give me the most for my magic.

I have lots of books and dvd's, but would like to attend a school to get the most out of my magic.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Distance learning? http://www.collegeofmagic.com ... apparently it has the support of Siegfried & Roy... others may have more info on it though.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It depends on ur current level. Certainly the Castle has a number of courses that progress from beginner to more advanced and the instruction is excellent, as well as periodic courses or lectures by some of the top pros out there. McBride's school is absolutely excellent, but it is more for magicians who already know all the "moves" and principles, etc, but who desire to greatly improve their technique and performance.
The Chavez school is a name that has been around a long time, at one time it had an excellent residence course from which many later top pros graduated, it sort of fell out of existence, resurrected as a correspondence school a time or two, I honestly couldn't tell you about it much in its current incarnation, you say you have the info. and as such you probably already know more about it than I do. From what you seem to be interested in, hands on training is what you are looking for, not some correspondence course. I'd look for some good magician in the various areas of ur interest in ur own area. Say, coins, or cards, or stage, etc. and see if they might consider giving you some private tutoring.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 13:47, Christian Illusionist wrote:
I've also had nothing but good reviews about McBride's Master Classes.

I would recommend going to a Master Class when you have developed a 8 to 10 minute set and have worked it as far as you can take it. This set can be stage or close-up. At Master Class you will receive feedback, upgrades, suggestions, and occasionally "tough love" from two of the best teachers in magic.

All the best for your growth in magic ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Thanks everyone for the input so far.

I'm not really new to magic. I'm 19 and have been performing since I was 14.

However, I've come to the place where I am really wanting to get serious about it.

I love it all from mentalism, cards, coins, stage, and others, and I really want to learn as much as I can of every aspect of the art and become a well-rounded performer, capable in all fields.

However, I think I would like a hands on training over correspondence because I don't want to look at books and videos all the time wondering if I've really mastered a move, but would rather have a master say, "That's it" or "No, you're wrong right there".

Price is also a factor. I want the most for my investment.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Chavez School has never actually dropped out of existence. When Ben Chavez' wife passed away, Neil Foster taught the course. Then when he passed away, Dale Salwak picked it up.

The original course was offered both as a correspondence course and a residence course. The correspondence course now has the added advantage of the use of video, so the teaching level is still high...if you want to learn manipulation.

It does teach structure, stage presence and stage deportment, so that's a plus.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
This is just a side thought to what you are asking for, it's not the starting point.

Once you have decided on a school and have gone through their course, I would suggest that you go to the school of "Hard Knocks". Seriously! After the schooling, try to get yourself a gig at a theme park as their featured magic show.

I have a friend who has been doing this for several years at Silverwood in northern Idaho. Not only does he perform for an audience 2-3 shows per day, but he also gets the benefit a shop with all the available tools to build his props. This saves you the expense of buying all the wood, metal and plastic tooling equipment you would otherwise have to buy yourself, and the rental cost of a shop big enough to hold it all. This is a benefit you will not get if you try to work another venue like Cruise Ships, etc.

During the time he has had this gig, he continues to take courses from Jeff McBride and others to polish his routine and develop new ones. Then it's back to the theme park to implement what he learned.

It really is a great way to get serious about your performances.

Till we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Ya he is a friend of mine also his name is nick norton. he does good shows and you can definately see the work of jeff McBride coming through. I have season passes to the park.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Schools (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL