The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Superman Anti-gravity cape (for most close up self levitations) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
This is just something I was playing around with. One of my nephews has a Superman costume and it got me to thinking. I faintly remember Paul Harris doing a levitation that involved a Superman cape and a bucket. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that being PH.

Anyway, most close up self-levitations require a cover at some point. Some such as the Pocket Levitator need to cover the legs. Other such as King Rising need cover for the set up and clean up.

So you can pull out a Superman cape. Tell some story about how Superman's real secret to flying isn't that he's from the distant planet of Krypton but the actual secret is in his cape. Then use it for your levitations.

Maybe you'll display the cape in front of you to show the big "S". While you're pointing this out you start to lift off the ground (Pocket Levitator type). Then set up from King rising. Put the cape on and levitate with that method. You can even use it for other levitations such as BroomFlight or even Fearson's Box (that requires cover as you step in and out of the box).

Don't go overboard and perform every levitation you know. Too much would be over-kill. Maybe just two or three.

Just an idea to play around with for presentation. I hope someone finds it fun and useful.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I like the idea. Maybe a piece of green kryptonite appears under your feet whilst levitating: "Oh-oh!" and you fall back down to earth.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
ordinarymind
View Profile
New user
Ferndale, MI
8 Posts

Profile of ordinarymind
One nice thing about this idea is that by having your cover be a prepared prop, like a Superman cape, instead of something more common like a borrowed jacket, you not only have some sort of link between using the cover and the effect, but you create suspicion of the cape itself, distracting from the actual method.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check out the old U.F. Grant one where you levitate holding a sheet in front of your legs.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Of course there is NONE BETTER than Veronin's.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Hmmmm, maybe you could even use the cape some other magic first. If it were a smaller cape (like for a child's costume), it could, perhaps, be used for zombie (fits with the flying theme)? Would it make any sense to replace the standard zombie with a piece of Kyptonite (some sort of good vs. evil power struggle plot)?

I don't know where you'd get the Kryptonite, but maybe it could be some chunk of plastic with battery powered lighting inside (green L.E.D.s)? Maybe you could make it out a ball of cellophane and/or that heat shrinkable stuff used on gift baskets.

Perhaps, the cape could be gimmicked to make it do something else magical and unexpected?

Just thinking aloud...
Seth E. Paternoster
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
The superman trick with buckets was in Paul Harris' Close-up Entertainer. (I think a Looy Simanoff concept)
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
andrewmayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
142 Posts

Profile of andrewmayne
I had a version of that using a cape in my Pocket Levitator instructions (unknowingly 20 years after Looy Simanoff). Which I think shows that deep down we magicians really wanted to be super heroes when we grew up.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I did, but I gave up after I got busted trying to change into my Superhero outfit in a phone booth.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Superman Anti-gravity cape (for most close up self levitations) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL