The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My New Charlie Miller Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I recently came into a set of Charlie Miller cups - at least, I am pretty sure they are Charlie Miller Cups! ;^)

Seriously, I was curious to know if there were different makes/models of the Miller cups, as there were different makers/models of the Paul Fox cups. If so, what are some distinguishing characteristics?

Or were all the Charlie Miller cups made in the same fashion, and by the same maker?

It is nice to own a small bit of magic 'history', and would like to know more details of the cups I have the good fortune to own.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Are these the ones that were on eBay last week, advertised as brass cups? If so, they are Charlie Miller cups.

I don't think there were different makers on them. The chief characteristic that makes them stand out is the flat area about 3/8 of an inch wide above and below the shoulder bead. This also shows up on the Phoenix cups. There were no "shop issued" chrome plated cups, although some people had them plated. There is a set in Joro's book. The Miller cups have a fairly smooth surface, smoother than the Phoenix cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Yes, Bill, those were the cups.

It is interesting - the cups look as if they were made from 2 separate pieces of copper:

- a lower piece, from about 3/8 of an inch above the shoulder bead on down to the mouth of the cup

- what almost seems to be a separate piece, from 3/8 of an inch above the shoulder bead to the bottom of the cup.

The 2 "halves" meet at that 3/8 inch mark (above the shoulder bead). There is a distinct line, or break, that encircles all 3 cups at that mark. You can catch your fingernail in it quite easily (on the outside of the cup, btw).

Don't know if I described that well - I suppose to anyone with Miller cups it will be pretty clear :^)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. That's a roller mark. That was one reason Ross Bertram did not like for Magic, Inc to call their cups "Ross Bertram" cups. His cups do not have that mark.
He used a different style of roller when he made the shoulder bead.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My New Charlie Miller Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL