The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A unique presentation prop to work with other stage illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I couldn't think of any other way to title this post.

Please bare with me because I'm obviously not going to describe this entire thing on the public board, but I need to find the right people to talk to about this.

I came up with something that could be a stage illusion in itself but it'll probably most often be used in conjunction with other illusions. For instance this can be used to make people appear, vanish and transport to other places. Even make things float. I must stress this though. This alone won't do all these things.

I know I'm getting more confusing so let me try to explain. Let's say you had an illusion where a person appears with a sheet or something. You can use this instead of the sheet but you would still need your production method (a base or what ever).

It can also make a very neat looking shadow box type illusion, a levitation or a combination of other such tricks.

I honestly think this will add a lot of artistic to a presentation because it looks so neat when it's used. It looks so eerie.

The reason I'm posting this now is to find magicians who I can trust. I never worked with illusions designers and I don't have the room to build a lot of the props that would work with this. But this alone is very easy to make. It's the props I'd use with it I lack.

I'm not looking for anyone to supply me with those props. I'm looking for someone who might be interested in using or incorporating this item into things they already make. So any of you illusion designers out there want to talk about it I can show you a very short demo of what this looks like in action. Not of making someone appear or float. But of the action this "presentation device" does.

I will say this much. I call it "jellyfish" because that's kind of what it looks like in action.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
Ron-

I'd be very interested in talking with you about this. I perform several production illusions in my show that require a cloth covering at some point. PM or email me at your convenience.

Keith Jozsef
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
What the heck. I'm still working on the working on this being used as an illusion but I'll show you all how it looks. You'll see why I call it jellyfish.

I've come up with some uses for this alone but in conjunction with other stage props there are a lot of other possibilities.

The video is short (about 15 seconds) and it doesn't show it being used in any magic effect. Just demonstrates how it looks in action. Unfortunately I had to use my small camera that only makes videos in MOV format. So if you have a slow connection it'll take a while to load.

Anyway, here's how it looks. Click here. The video is embedded in the page you'll be taken to.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
With the right base and the right lighting, this could make a very pretty production/appearance. I like the idea of an appearance more than a vanish, because I like the idea of it "growing" more than "shrinking".

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, I have many ideas with this already. A production would be neat. Especially with some of the other things I plan to add to it. Of course, these things will take some time to work out, but they are looking good on paper so far.

Here's one idea. The sheet grows and becomes what you see in the video. It waves around like a jellyfish and I suspect the audience will wonder what the heck it is. Then a light turns on inside and they see the silhouette of a person inside. At this point the audience will finally understand that it's a person inside making it move so strangely. Then the lights go off and it lifts off the ground and floats (See the video to help visualize this lift as if a jellyfish is swimming upward. Then the sheet falls flat and the person vanishes while in the air. So it's kind of like an Asrah. Or if it flew to another platform and then the person emerged from the jellyfish it would kind of prove that the "person" inside flew too but in reality they didn't. So the method would only have to hold the weight of the jellyfish but not the person.

I'll keep you posted on it's progress. And builders or designers interested in this please let me know. I haven't worked out all details yet. Right now I'm working on the design of the jellyfish itself.

Ron Jaxon

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Going on the "person inside" idea, a "metamorphasis" type illusion would be even more impressive- you make the jellyfish appear, and then it ends up being you inside the jellyfish on the final platform.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
The link is not working
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Ron,

The video looks great. I would like to discuss different options with you. Please feel free to PM me with details and additional information. I see a variety of applications that would be possible with your creation.

-Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A unique presentation prop to work with other stage illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL