The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Question: Harlan's "This Century" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Anybody using this one? I'm intrigued, and appreciate the thinking that went into this, but I wonder if the method is sneaky enough to get past the laymen.

Thanks, Magi!

Leland
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you're doing Dan Harlan's Kid's Birthday Show routine, you mean you need to get it past "laykids" not laymen. I do my own non-gimmicked silks version of 20th century silks for both kids and adults and have no trouble "getting it past them." The real question is, does the routine ENTERTAIN them. If it does, then you have a hit on your hands.

If doing the trick with bare ungimmicked silks makes you nervous, you can get an even better routine with Bert Douglas' 20th Century Silks (Rice Encyclopedia - Volume 2- Page 981), which also uses ungimmicked silks, but has a built in "gimmick" for ... well, you just need to read the routine or see it in action to "get it."
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

I think it's clever, but don't like how two of the silks must remain on the rod - but, that part may not bother you. I've been doing the 20th Century Silks for many years, using the traditional method, and think it's strong magic. I can't recall one time where someone detected the MO.

Ron
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Thanks, Magi. That's a good point about the silks remaining on the rod -- why would they not be picked up and moved about unless they were anchored somehow? Not sure it would tip the method, but it may be too "fishy" looking for my use. I'll look into alternate 20th Century bits.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Leland:

One of the Rice Encyclopedia volumes has a whole chapter on 20th Century Silks. That should give you a lot of ideas.

Ron
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of silking
I would be lost without my Rice's book. So many good effects that are not being used today that will be fresh to a audience.

Silking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Question: Harlan's "This Century" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL