We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do You Think Coin Magic Needs To Be Updated? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Quote:
But then I am wearing some big brash shirt and talking all loudly and am thinking I am the better then anyone else. Ha ha.
-Juan King

Juan, the only reason we Americans think we're better than everyone else is because we are. And we're humble, too. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Instead of belaboring the obvious here, I'm going to tip something useful:

What sort of person would carry coins from all over the place and from different times?

I found an answer in a BBC series that came over here in the 1970s, but over there it's been running since 1964. That character has pockets full of stuff from all over the place. If there is one perhaps there are others. Travelers who just happen to be here for a little while and are not above sharing some amusing diversions for a few minutes on their way.

I found another sort of character in the works if H. P. Lovecraft. A darker and more sinister visitor, perhaps not even truly human in an emotional sense.

Once I found a couple of these characters I found more in my readings. They are all over the place. Displaced innocents, wandering strangers, travelers, emissaries, observers and scouts.

If you are going to take this path, spend some time getting your basics and back story together. Then learn how to tell stories without explaining or narrating, IE by showing what is pertinent instead of describing or explaining it.

To summarize, the small scripts we have in our books can be treated as scraps from which to build a quilt. What we need is the basic design and a frame.

Who are you?
Why are you telling me this?
Why should I care?

Three questions the audience asks the performer.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
Quote:
On 2006-05-06 12:06, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

To summarize, the small scripts we have in our books can be treated as scraps from which to build a quilt. What we need is the basic design and a frame.

Jon, this is probably one of your best posts...again.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
If I may, I always go back to a statement someone once made that helps me with anything I'm using...if you have an explanation, no matter how small or insignificant, it will cover about 90% of the situations.
For instance, when I begin doing anything with coins (I use walking liberties and 1940's era English pennies), I mention that my grandfather was a coin collector and garnered quite a collection during WWII, and then explain that he left his collection to me when he passed on. This not only explains the coins, but gives a personal appeal that immediately covers anyone grabbing the coins. No one in their right mind is going to be rude and just grab something of sentimental value that belonged to my grandfather...

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Quote:
On 2006-05-06 12:06, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Instead of belaboring the obvious here, I'm going to tip something useful:

What sort of person would carry coins from all over the place and from different times?

I found an answer in a BBC series that came over here in the 1970s, but over there it's been running since 1964. That character has pockets full of stuff from all over the place. If there is one perhaps there are others. Travelers who just happen to be here for a little while and are not above sharing some amusing diversions for a few minutes on their way.

I found another sort of character in the works if H. P. Lovecraft. A darker and more sinister visitor, perhaps not even truly human in an emotional sense.

Once I found a couple of these characters I found more in my readings. They are all over the place. Displaced innocents, wandering strangers, travelers, emissaries, observers and scouts.

If you are going to take this path, spend some time getting your basics and back story together. Then learn how to tell stories without explaining or narrating, IE by showing what is pertinent instead of describing or explaining it.

Who are you?
Why are you telling me this?
Why should I care?

Hi Jonathan I can not fully understand what you mean at the post. But What I read is be a good actor. Is that right?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I've done copper and silver with an English penny and half dollar for over 30 years, but only in the past few years have I heard the explanation that I'm using "heat-activated" coins.
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
I think there is a lot of valid information here. I definitely agree with the point made by several that if you are doing very informal effects with friends or at a bar where you want them to think it's impromptu, then you want to stick with normal, readily available currency: quarters, dimes & nickels.

Pros can and should use whatever interesting coins, poker chips or other materials that will enhance their routine. To me, the real key is the patter and the performance. Giving a REASON why you are using whatever coins you use is as important as what you intend to do.

For me, it's all about establishing a reasonable rationate for what they are about to see. I like to turn something into a 1964 Kennedy half dollar. Then I pass it out and mention its rarity and some of the reasons it's special and desireable to collects...which leads me into my bit. Of course the coin they examine may or not be the same coin that starts jumping to strange places...but I've established a platform of information for them in the beginning.

It doesn't have to be true, it doesn't have to be complete and it doesn't even have to make sense...because it's all part of an illusion. But it has to have context.

I think. I could be wrong.

BooRadley
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Some differences I noticed while working:
There are coineffects where the very validity (?) of the coin is not suspected. I mean effects where the coins are objects that (for instance) move from one place to another. Like in coins across or coin assemblies. I think that in the spectator's mind these illusions could also be done with other small flat objects. It depends on the performance-character if use of curious coins is motivated or not.

On the other hand there are effects where the very substance of the coin is altered in some way. Think about spellbound, cig-thru-coin or even C/S transpo. These routines, in the eyes of a layperson, would scream "gimmick" if unknown, curious coins would be used.

Come to think of it I only use effects of the first kind, so I can use whatever coins I feel appropriate. I do prefer beautiful large silver coins or ancient orientals though.
(I've mentioned before, one benefit of using antique coins is that they may add "production-value" to your professional work.)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do You Think Coin Magic Needs To Be Updated? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL