The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » When Should You Wear A Cape? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Darkwing
I went to a festival last summer, and I saw a man with a Panama hat on, so I asked him if it was a real Panama, he rolled his eyes, and said to me "yes for about the tenth time today". A little voice inside of me then said "you must have one of those hats" so I ordered a custom made rolled Panama from Equador, and with my purple RayBan's I'm ready to impress the ladies this summer, even though my wife thinks I'm just a silly old man. I'm wearing it to a pool party I'm working at tonight.
THANKS FOR NOTICING
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Al.

You are very welcome. By the way, my wife thinks I'm a silly old man also and I don't wear a hat.

David Williams
Bill Martin
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Bill Martin
All I'm wearing right now is a cape.
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
I have done it once at a birthday party of a friends son. I had the cape, gown, hood, the fake beard and the moustache. (Sometimes it helps to have a Ph.D.) The birthday boy was a great fan of Harry Potter, so the entire act was based on an absent minded professor of invocations, who happens to be landing on their birthday train. I had a funny looking suitcase with me and had to hide in a cabinet until I could make a dramatic entrance. It was lots of fun for all of us.

Things I learned from that ride:

* It's quite hard to perform when your stage is moving.
* Capes and fake beards get you hot.
* You can hide a fire extinguisher under a hood and no one will notice.
* Never ever remove your make up until every single member of your audience leaves. Even if your makeup screams that it is fake. They love you the way you look and you wouldn't want to disappoint them.
* When you are going to wear a costume, use original, expensive costumes. Don't use things from a halloween store. Pay attention to detail. It will pay off. Don't you ever use plastic accessories, this is a not a halloween party, its the equivalent of a theather play.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2006-06-27 13:38, tanselkaya wrote:

* When you are going to wear a costume, use original, expensive costumes. Don't use things from a halloween store. Pay attention to detail. It will pay off. Don't you ever use plastic accessories, this is a not a halloween party, its the equivalent of a theather play.

Thank you for posting that...Nothing looks worse than a vinyl cape over a polyester one piece costume with a belt and vest sewn onto the shirt.

Darkwing...I have to do this because you posted the start of the Cape thread...

"I am the hero that flaps in the night...
I am the milk that your cereal sat in for too long...
I am..
Darkwing Duck!"
Now, he looks smashing in a cape.
gwyd
smagic
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of smagic
I wear a cape for a very short time in my act and I use it to produce something, so I think it is ok right?
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
[quote]On 2006-07-31 10:42, gsidhe wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-27 13:38, tanselkaya wrote:

Darkwing...I have to do this because you posted the start of the Cape thread...

"I am the hero that flaps in the night...
I am the milk that your cereal sat in for too long...
I am..
Darkwing Duck!"
Now, he looks smashing in a cape.
gwyd

gsidhe,

Thank you. The story behind my username is that I have a former boss used to call me DW (David Williams) and at the time Darkdwing Duck was a popular cartoon and he started calling me Darkwing Duck or Darkwing for short and the name stuck. When I left the company, he gave me a Darkwing Duck statuette. I've had it and the nickname ever since.

Thank you for the memories.

David Williams
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
My cape and top hat were a huge hit at my daughter's 4th birthday party this past May. Was it hot? Yeah. Did I keep it on anyway? Yeah. My wife made it and worked hard to make it look just right. Besides, one of the party favors for the 4-10 year olds was a pink or black cape (girls/boys) and if I'd taken mine off, it would have lessened the effect on the children. Now as for the hat? I kept it on until after the 1st 5 minutes of the show, where I talked about dressing for the occasion. I then set it on my table (brim-side down), misdirected for a moment, and then produced a rabbit out of my hat! Huge hit with the children. The top hat then sat brim-up for the rest of the performance on the front corner of the table....MAN! Those things get HOT! Smile Smile

"Hey Rocky! Watch while I pull a rabbit out of my hat!" Smile
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Astrid
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
63 Posts

Profile of Astrid
Anyone seen the section of the movie "The Incredibles" where they discuss the dangers of why you should be careful with capes? hehehe Smile
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
To Harry Potter movie???
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I believe it was Flash Gordon who would wrap the "cloak of invisibility" around himself so he get past the guards, and attacked Ming the merciless in his thrown room undetected. That Flash Gordon had a very cool cape.
Al Angello
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
You know what I still like to see? It's the kid doing his first or second magic show at the birthday party for his little brother or sister with the top hat, cape, and painted on moustache doing all the tricks he got in a kit for his birthday or as a Christmas present. I am so entertained by the junior Dante doing his best.

We had a kid in our magic club who would come out on stage dressed just as I described and perform in one of our club shows every year. It was always one of my favorite parts of the show.

I still think this is what the wide-eyed innocence and wonder of magic is all about.

Yeah, I know, I'm just an old softy.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
A Top-Hat & Cape are useful props if used correctly. As part of my warm up shtick I tell them that the show starts when I put on my cape. (Kid shows & family shows only, please) "Are you ready to start the show?" etc...

I put the hat on right before my opening trick. After the trick is done I very simply drop everything into the hat and hand it off or put it down. We started doing this when I needed an easy way to hand off several small items w/out dropping of fumbling. I use the cape in my second bit and then take it off.

My cape goes on and off w/flourish and usually gets a reaction on its own. It's over 30 years old. Smile It was made for me by a friend and her mother as a challenge. We used heavy slipper satin for the black outside and a lighter weight red satin for the lining. I went classical. What can I say, I look good in a tux. Smile Originally the collar could stand up. Over the years however, and many dry cleanings, the stiffness has gone out. The collar just lies there now.

I also use the cape when I need a screen of some sort. I have two vic..er..volunteers hold it up so that I can do my "Famous Handcuff Escape". (Pat. Pending Smile) This is done for laughs and the cape makes an effective prop here as well. I use the cape for the trick even when I don't wear it in the opening. It can also be put on the birthday child or others for photos. This seems to be a big thrill for the kids and it's no big deal for me.

For all these reasons, and more, I am proud of my cape.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Smile

Bruce

P.S. On second thought, this is a really bad Idea. Smile No one should take it seriously. Especially anyone in the NY, NJ, PA area. Gosh, I hope no one saw this. Maybe I should just delete it. Smile Just forget I said anything.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Scary Librarian
View Profile
New user
Canada
32 Posts

Profile of The Scary Librarian
Quote:
On 2006-05-11 09:59, magicalaurie wrote:
ALWAYS.

"Wear the cape. Never let the cape wear you." Roy Horn. Smile

Roy Horn definitely wore the cape.....and very well at that.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I had a royal blue Victorian frocked cape made for a character in a show. I've used it for a Wizard character, and actually worn it out when the feeling struck me.

The important thing about capes is that they must fit the character and by default will have a purpose for the character.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The only time I wear a cape is when I go out for lobster. And then of course, I put it in the front.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
My initial response was to say, "cape? ...NO WAY!"

But after reflecting on it for a while and seeing how nice Al looks in a cape, I have totally changed my mind!

Lyndel

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
This reminds me, I realized the other day one reason I enjoy the rain so much- I can wear a trench coat without anyone looking twice- which is about the closest you can get to wearing a cape in public.

But, when you think about it, performing in a trench coat isn't actually such a bad idea- especially the ones with an inside liner. The amount of stuff you can conceal inside one is absolutely incredible...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lyndel
You have too much time on your hands.

That is an old head on top of a young body. Perhaps when I loose 40 lbs I'll buy a red cape.

I love a man with a sense of humor.
Al
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-01-11 12:00, Al Angello wrote:
Lyndel
You have too much time on your hands.

Hmmm, My wife say's the same thing! LOL!

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » When Should You Wear A Cape? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL