The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » David Ginn's Routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Hello all. I've made a lot of money off of David Ginn's routines, and yet I recently heard from a woman (from a wealthy family in Detroit, from which came a magician) that David's routines wouldn't play in the North (of America). What are your opinions? Does "Professional Magic for Children" give you a plethora (sorry for the vocabulary) of routines to consider? Or do you dismiss anything done by David? By the way, I'm a big fan of David's...I've done his kid routines for children and adults, and they play! What are your opinions?
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
It is difficult to argue against success, and David Ginn has to be one of the top children's magicians in the US. His KidKlinic with Sammy Smith and Steve Taylor have done hundreds of lectures all over the US, including the North.

David is most certainly a Georgia boy and his accent is noticeable, but his routines can play anywhere. I am not sure why your friend would think David's routines couldn't play up North. David is one of the most likeable people in the business and has mentored many young children's entertainers of the years. I like him and his "stuff".
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Much of David Ginn's Routines works for David because it is David. Any routine from anyone should be revised to fit your personality, character, and style.

I have just about everything David has written and many of his products he sells. I constantly, refer to his books, videos, and especially his Kidbiz book. What david Ginn's work should do for entertainers is give the performer an "inner sense" of what to expect from an audience, so one can plan a routine based on what is expected from the audience of kids. It's the comedy intertwined with the magic that makes a kid show successful.

Steve Taylor is the best when it comes to ventriloquism and educational magic. Samual Patrick Smith is well known for the younger crowd (Day-care market), and David Ginn is known for his school assembly programs.

Now I like to combine their ideas with Silly Billy's philosophy on Kid Entertainment and come up with my own routine. It is difficult and time comsuming but worth the effort.

Here's an example, take a change bag, put a Scooby-Do character and fake poop in it. Call it a doggie bag (Justification for using a change bag) When introducing the change bag call it your doggie bag. "Why it's true, see I have a dog living in here." Pull out the Scooby animal. It will get a laugh, then say, "Oh No what this... It Scooby DO-DO..." Now that really gets a laugh. To kids it's funny. No magic here but now I am ready to use the change bag,... as soon as the laughter dies down.

Silly Billy talks about what is funny to the major kid group 7-10 and this kind of funny stuff top the list.

Also I cannot forget those others who sparked my imagination such as BJ Hickman, Barry Mitchell, Trixie Bond, and Ken Scott, just to name a few.
Dennis Michael
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Quote:
On 2002-12-06 09:43, DenDowhy wrote:
Much of David Ginn's Routines works for David because it is David. Any routine from anyone should be revised to fit your personality, character, and style.

Preaching to the choir, DenDowhy. My friend in Detroit is a little snobby, I think. Lives in a wealthy suburb, and tends to think that southerners are all living in trailers and marrying their relatives.

I'm reminded of a statement Frances Marshall made in "The Happy Birthday Business", about how she would perform for poor inner city children in the morning, and then for wealthy kids in the afternoon. The same props were held by both types of kids, yet none knew. And the routines were the same and played great regardless.

Ginn has fantastic routines. Anyone who tries to repeat them with Ginn's accent and mannerisms is an idiot. Anyone who ignores his routines is a godsend, because that leaves less competition for me!
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
As a former Detroiter now living in Georgia, I can say that regional differences are minimal, if they exist at all.

The only compliant I've heard about David Ginn's material is that it can be abrasive at times. Some of the gags come at the expense of the kids/volunteers. Not a popular thing in the age of political correctness.

Personally, I like him.

JR
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I work mainly for what most of you might consider snobby clients and I use a lot of Davids Effects/ variations there of and I have never had any problems. I do not use a lot of Davids line, But I think the actual effects can be taylored to suit any personality or clientel.
Phillip
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
yeah p.b., but I bet you have a british accent.

Over here in these parts, you is one of them snobby folk.

Smile

JR
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI Jim,
I have a Welsh Accent or Pembrokeshire to be exact.
Phillip
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
For the record, I live in Alabama, but started using some of David's ideas when I started performing children's shows...in Massachusetts where I grew up. They worked just fine then, and still do down here in the south. Smile
-Magical Tim
Magical Tim's Magic Shows
[email]tim@magicaltim.com[/email]
"Magic is a vanishing art!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » David Ginn's Routines? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL