The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper vs Gravity Flipper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
According to the thread I read, the personal tragedy was not Dill's accident, it happened before the accident. Whatever it was, it must have been devastating to last this long. The turnaround time for Lassen depends on how big and how custom your order is according to my past experience. A lot of times he will have shells and flippers and things of this sort in stock because he makes them in batches and he makes extras.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Todd, I did see a difference in design such as the gravity one uses a 45 degree trench cut versus the Schoolcraft's "L" cut. Also the fixed portion was cut at an angle with a more zig zag cut compared to a straight cut on my Schoolcraft one.

While I do recognize some difference in design, to me they were just tangential to the operation of the coin. I did not notice any operational improvement and still contend that the coins are too similar to really draw any substantive distinction.

I am not going to take the position that some people take and try to bash one guys design, when the truth is, they both look and work very similarly.
Click to visit:
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
"they both look and work very similarly"

Sorry Dan, can't buy that at all, not even close or I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it. I was one of the first to actually own the new Lassen design, he gave it to me to road test about a year before he decided to release them. I LOOOOVVVVVVE it! When magicians see the guts of the thing, their eyes pop out every time. ART in it's truest form.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
So, what do you do, show the inner workings to your audiences? Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hey Todd, no worries my friend, I am not asking you to buy my opinion. I am not trying to have anyone buy my opinion. People know who I am and can judge my opinion for what it is worth. I have many quality gaffs from both sources, all top notch stuff. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due.

I will remain by my original assessment: Both coins open via gravity, both stay open under their own weight, both don't have a rubber band in the edge. They are functionally duplicates.

Maybe some people's opinion of art is straight lines or zig zags, some people's idea of art is L cuts or angled cuts. I think focusing on the "art” of the inside of the open coin is focusing meaningless minutia. That’s the part no one is ever supposed to see. I care about function. Art is something I hang on my wall… I perform magic with my coin gaffs.
Click to visit:
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
The cutting on a flipper whether it is visible or not is not a matter. I don't think anyone will hand their flipper to spectator for inspection.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Quote:
On 2006-05-08 22:35, Pete Biro wrote:
So, what do you do, show the inner workings to your audiences? Smile

Pete,
If you read above I never said anything about audiences seeing the inner workings. I said that about magicians not audiences...MAGICIANS don't PAY MY BILLS LAY AUDIENCES DO!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-05-07 04:10, Dan Watkins wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-07 00:41, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Can one use the Gravity flipper for the routines in Bob Swadling's instructions? The sudden vanish of a coin under a glass or on a handkerchief etc is VERY impressive.

For the coin under the glass you will want the normal "springy" kind.

I know with Schoolcraft's Flipper you can use two bands, or use a thicker band to vary the "springiness" for routines where you need the coin to snap shut instead of lay open flat. I personally never do this because the only routine I currently use the gaff for is my 4 Coins, Your Hands routine.

I love Bob Swadling's Coin Vanish under a glass routine. I have been wanting to get a Schoolcraft's Flipper for this effect. Maybe I'll have to get both!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I like my flipper to pretty much dangle open when I pick it up by the edges. It just seems to be easier to handle that way, at least for the types of routines I've been doing. To that avail, I ended up replacing the stock ru**er b**d that came with my Johnson with a lighter version that I bought through a dental supply company online. Now all I have to do is hold the coin by its edges and it opens.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper vs Gravity Flipper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL