The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Help with Viking Nest of Boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

I just got a honey of a deal on a brand new nest of boxes by Viking Magic. It is a precision made prop. Does anyone have any performance ideas other than the ones that come with the trick. Better yet does anyone have any suggestions I could used to perform this trick? What do you guys used to vanish? A watch seems pretty big to conceal and a coin/dollar bill too small for the inner box. Your help will mean a lot to me. Thanks.

Patrick
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Patrick,
I have what I believe is a great routine for the nest of boxes. I built my own from my own design. But, I'm afraid I can't share my routine; it's my own creation. I can't just give it away. However, good luck coming up with one. I love the effect.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
First and formost, What ever item you place in the box, make sure "IT IS IN"

I wrapped the watch in tissue paper and did not tape the tissue. An edge got caugth and busted the inner box.

I love the watch, especially when I smash it with a hammer. I use the same watch because it really never breaks.

I vanish it, by using a cheap egg bag. The spare is in the egg bag and I palm the original dumping it into the box as the volunteer is holding his "belief" the ral watch. Simple method.

Other sleeve it, and drop the other from the other sleeve.
Dennis Michael
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Like Den, I use a watch. I also wrap it with tissue paper, but then wrap elactic bands around it instead of taping it.

I use a special bag that Pat sewed up to vanish the watch and leave the the volunteer holding it. The original is taken by me using the old stand by F***ch D**p and loaded.

The key here, and I think Den and all who do it, would agree, is to pick a volunteer (usually female) with a watch that is small.

All the best.

Rob
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hi Patrick, the Viking nest of boxes is the same one I use...its so clean, and as you said its such a jewel of a prop too! I use it in a husband and wife effect I came up with where they both submit something valuable of theirs on the basis of a telekenesis experiment so I get the guy's watch or if he's not wearing one like a large denomination bill and I use the wife's wedding ring. After a bunch of "magician in trouble" premises they both end up in my "treasure chest" since I've had when I was a kid. The man's item is in a bag of old big league chew and the woman's wring is in an old box. I have the man pull both items out of the box because I don't' want to touch them. the guy gets his item first then he reaches in for the woman's. I stage talk him to get down on one knee, he does so and opens the box to find the woman's ring. It makes for a cool little moment and some good laughs throughout the routine.
DANSPERRY.COM
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Quote:
On 2006-05-11 11:11, sperris wrote:
After a bunch of "magician in trouble" premises they both end up in my "treasure chest" since I've had when I was a kid. The man's item is in a bag of old big league chew and the woman's wring is in an old box. I have the man pull both items out of the box because I don't' want to touch them. the guy gets his item first then he reaches in for the woman's. I stage talk him to get down on one knee, he does so and opens the box to find the woman's ring. It makes for a cool little moment and some good laughs throughout the routine.

Very interesting idea!!! But the man's item goes to another place? Not in the box? Only the wedding ring is in the box??? Can't make both items go into the box?

At last, when the man take the ring out of the box, ask him to think back the day while he was asking her to marry him. ^_^

Another thought, you can put the ring in the nest of boxes openly, then vanish the man's item, making it to join the ring. Just a thought suddenly come to mind. May be useless.
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

Thank you so much for your help. You guys/gals rock!

Patrick
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I also like to pre select a person for this routine. I ask the host if there is a gentleman who likes to clown around and would not mind helping out. This works well most of the time.

I do go early and look for a prime candidate for this effect. I look for a timex watch with an elastic band. (Its a duplicate of the one I bust up.)
Dennis Michael
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
261 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Here is my vanish for the watch which has even fooled magicians. First I have a fake wrapped in tissue paper to resemble the real one that I am about to wrap up. I then place the fake under the devils hank and set it on a table.

During the routine I wrap the real one and hold it in my right hand as I pick up the fake under the end of the devils hank as one. I place the real wrapped watch under the devils hank but really switch it for the fake and leave the real one in palm position under the cloth. I grap the fake through the hank with my left hand at the middle of the cloth allowing the four corners to hang toward the floor. At this time I bring my palm to my left jacket sleeve and dump the real watch in the sleeve. This action cannot be seen because my hand is still under the devils hank. I then come out with the right hand (real watch in sleeve) and point to the fake under the hank. This action casually shows the right hand empty. I then have the spectator grab the four hanging corners and I let go. I ask him to raise his right hand above his shoulders to display the hank.

What you now have is the fake hanging inside the devils hank but not in the secret pocket. The left hand is pointing while the real wrapped watch is in the sleeve. As I go to display the Nest of Boxes my right hand falls naturally at my side and the real watch falls into my hand with the back of my hand facing the audience. I then say "Ladies and Gentleman I present to you the Statue of Liberty" as I point to the spectator. This always gets a laugh and covers the load as I pick up the box and do the sneaky stuff.

All that's left is your presentation and the reveal at the end. This handling that I came up with has always served me well and I hope it helps you in your routining.

Puck

Posted: May 12, 2006 11:55am
I just read my post and I see that I made an error. The right hand dumps the real watch into the right sleeve not the left as I incorrectly wrote. I also forgot to mention that during my routine I have the spectator allow the hank to open and this allows the fake to drop to the floor. Since it is wrapped the same as the real no one knows it's been switched. I then take the hank from him and fold it for a devils hank vanish and put the fake in the secret place for the vanish. Sorry about the mix up it's harder to write then explain verbally.

Puck
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
Believe it or not there's a routine in Bobo's Coin Magic book involving a nest of boxes and a funnel...
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Check out the Books of Wonder Vol 2, or Visions of Wonder Vol 3 by Tommy Wonder, He discusses 2 methods for vanishing a watch. One with a gimmicked bag, and another using the cummerband. He's also given an amazing of thought to the Watch in a nest of boxes concept.

I began thinking after I finished his books. He spends a lot of time thinking outside of the box. Then I realized why. It's because he has no choice, he can't think IN-side of the box, because all of his boxes are full of borrowed watches. (OMG, that may be the cheesiest thing I've EVER typed, I can't believe I just said that)
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Also on Essentrics 1, Charlie Frye demos the ditch in the top of pants method. Works great on a thin person but one with an extended waistline, cannot do this.

Please re-read Pucks, method above. It is his method and routine that sold me on the Viking Nest of Boxes.
Dennis Michael
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

This is exactly why I love the Café. You all helped me out immensely. As always.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Help with Viking Nest of Boxes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL