The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rainmaker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
ning
View Profile
New user
From Sunny Singapore!
89 Posts

Profile of ning
The water shoots up reeeally high so it's no concern at all. And trust me... no hair for this, is way better than long hair on the performer! *whine*
illusiOHN
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of illusiOHN
I'm writing to follow up again on the noise issue that I discussed in my review. Again, there is a 1-2 second noise issue when the apparatus is activated as air clears from the apparatus. Peter posted that (the noise problem) could be easily solved in how you operate the system.

Peter made direct contact with me to discuss the issue and to offer helpful operating tips (thanks, Peter!). I had been setting it up and operating it correctly, but I appreciated his support and suggestions nonetheless.

This is an equipment issue, not a setup or operating issue.

During a presentation with Rainmaker, adequate misdirection to cover noise during the initial 1-2 seconds of rainfall might be challenging for some magicians.

Peter and I discussed my hunt for a piece of hardware that would solve the problem, but it doesn't seem to be readily available. Hopefully, a solution can be found.

I just wanted to follow up for those who might be interested. Although I still have two important cons to this effect (the size and the aiming of the apparatus, and the 1-2 seconds of hard-to-hide noise at activation), it is a creative effect with a lot of potential.

OHN
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
OHN, I don't have this noise as evident in my demo videos, nor do a lot of others that I have talked to. I know it can occur if the device comes under certain circumstance that we discussed, and it can be prevented. After talking with you, I agian took my own unit out, and followed my own advice, and it solves it. I know Dr. Specktor originally had the same problem, that along with the a battery/power issue with his first unit, he actually came to my house to pick up the new unit, and while he was here he had a similar question, I demonstrated for him exactly what you are taliking about and how the unit must be set up to avoid that, and continuted to operate the device while he was there. This can be prevented. Its frustrating that I can't help you.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
illusiOHN
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of illusiOHN
Thanks for your efforts, Peter!

If others do not have the same problem (noise for 1-2 seconds each time it rains), then maybe it's just my unit. I hope that's the case!

But, based on the components of the apparatus, I don't see how it *cannot* happen. It seems that the problem will occur in all units because of physics: air will re-enter when the rain stops.

That is why I wanted to pass it along as an issue that must be overcome during a presentation to keep from spoiling the effect.

Again, thanks for your continuing efforts!
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
It rains cats and dogs,
and I just stepped in a poodle.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
And I just got hit on the head by a gear wheel, it is raining Datsun cogs!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmm... mine is very quiet - my only suggestion if yours talks is to really get the participants to chant chant chant - the thing must have a subwoofer attached to it if they can hear it over the "RAINMAKER" spell
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
78 Posts

Profile of Kozak
First I want to thank Peter for a great invention. I am currently using this in the
"Meet & Greet" at The World's Greatest Magic Show here in Las Vegas. It is strong.
As with any new effect, each individual will encounter some issues in performance.
Magicians are "Problem Solvers"...your a Magician...act like one...quit whinning and......THINK
I offer up a couple of solutions, for the nozzle hook up and a direct aim with a quick change in clothing I am using a magnetic strip that comes on no pin name tags.
Most office supply stores can custom print these name tags, just buy the magnetic device that they attatch the name tag to, about $1.50. It has a metal strip with a peal off adheasive that you can attatch the nozzle to and then secure better with a piece off tin and super glue. It will hold secure under the fold off your collar.
My presentation that I'm offering to you will address any noise issue and speed performance. After engaging the spectator, I suddenly say excuse me my "watch" or my "cell Phone" is VIBRATING...I then either look at my watch or phone and say I have a special service I pay for..."A Weather Warning Update"... I then say,
LOOK, and I show them either watch or phone as I say, "It says there is a 99.9% chance of rain"...as they are looking to see where it says that...cloudburst!
after the amazement and they towel off, even IF they were to THINK about the event
their memmory will attribute any sound heard to the "VIBRATION" of the device going off.
I bought 2 of these from Peter as I am 7 days a week here in Vegas, no days off and wanted a back up as I do with all props that I use in this show.
Thanks again Peter....Well Done......Koz
Kozy in Hawai'i
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Koz,

For your first post here, that was a great contribution. Thanks for sharing with us!

Brian
illusiOHN
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of illusiOHN
Welcome, Kozak!

I'm not sure if you were directing your "quit whinning" comments towards my review/discussion, so I am responding. Simply put, I offered an objective review that includes discussion of the need to cover a noise issue that occurs for 1-2 seconds when the apparatus is activated, and some challenges with concealing and aiming the apparatus.

Before I purchased Rainmaker, I read discussions such as this from previous posts on this thread:

Teevee: is the effect totally silent?

Peter: the only noise your spectators will hear is the sound of the rain pelting off their head.

After purchasing Rainmaker, I've learned that there *is* a need for adequate misdirection to cover a hissing/spurting sound as air clears from the apparatus during the first 1-2 seconds. I simply shared this need in my review. Peter has offered suggestions to help, but it remains a key issue for performers in my opinion. Once the rain is on the way, then, yes, all the spec will probably hear is rain pelting off their head, lol.

Is it just a problem with my unit? It is possible. I've had some PM's with others discussing this. However, mechanically there doesn't seem to be any problem with the components. It seems that mine is functioning the same as others should.

Based on your suggestions, it appears that your units have the same noise as mine that needs covering.

As for concealing and aiming the apparatus, as you suggest, it might take some ingenuity. I agree, and that is why I mentioned it in my review.

Can a good performer think of good solutions to these issues, as you suggest? Hopefully, yes! But, in an objective review, I think one should point out the pros and cons to help others understand the item being offered for sale. Smile

I like your setup suggestions and excellent patter...thanks for sharing!

As I have previously mentioned, the effect could be very powerful under the right circumstances. It is a brilliant idea. I hope Peter keeps up the good work.

Best of luck with your show in Vegas! I'd love to be there to watch.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

:)

OHN
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2006-06-05 00:15, Bob Saget Rocks wrote:
What would be neat with this trick is having some way to produce the sound of thunder before the rain happens...that would make it perfect Smile

Not thunder, but you could use a "FISM FLASH" to produce the lightning.

ACE
magicforu
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of magicforu
"FISM FLASH" is not bright enough.....
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
How a bout a FISM FLASH attached to the back of the shirt instead of the front?

Huron
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
There are different flash products other than Fism Flash.
houdiniguy
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of houdiniguy
RainMaker fun is on the net.
http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g2/rainmaker.htm

It is also a great idea for "your" next TV special.

Have fun!
Tom

P.S. Peter, you have created a miracle!
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
Had two of these and both where defective, Got one squirt out of it and it stopped working. They are having a problem with these. I think it is with the pump.
Just a heads up on this item.

Anyone else have had this problem???
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
If you have any problems email Peter Loughran. I'm sure if they are defective he can help you.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
We offer a 30 day warranty on all parts and labour.

Some minor defects have been reported with the odd unit and this is to be expected to some degree since we had these mass produced, In most cases these issues are easily trouble shooted, such as a loose wire that can be re-secured etc. Please feel free to email me, but again we offer a 30 day warranty also.

Peter.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Fism Flash is probably not bright enough outside during the day, but I have a performance at the Aquarium next week, and I know the flash is bright enough in their dim lighting. And it is very bright for those night-time parties around the pool. At least the one I have is. What are the other sources of flash products, other than all the flash paper stuff?

Any ideas on patter and use in the Aquarium for the rainmaker??

ACE
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Acecardician,

Maybe you can do something with the mythical god Neptune/Poseidon (the aquarium seems to be a nice setting for a story about the god of the sea) and how he dislikes the creatures of the sea to be in captivity, threatening to raise a storm to punish those responsible. Just a loose thought bouncing in my brain Smile

Regards, Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rainmaker (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL