The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Back palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

biingruwu
View Profile
New user
Ching-Li, Taiwan
13 Posts

Profile of biingruwu
Dear all,
Now I am practicing back palm a half dollar, but I found that it was impossible for me to hold a half dollar by designated fingers. Somotimes I can hold it, but when I wanna transform from back palm to palm, the half dollar dropped. Is there anybody can give me some advises?
Thank you all,
Biing
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
What coin resources do you own? Bobo's book? Others?

One way is to I release the pinky finger and there are other, better back of hand concealments IMO.
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
The half may be too small for your hands. Try a larger coin, such as a Silver Dollar. Halves work fine for me in back palm, but then again, my hands aren't particularly large.

If that's not the problem, then you may still need to work up strength in the muscles that laterally support the index and pinky. Try holding the coin in 'position' for as long as you can. Once you've done this for a few days, try slowly going through the motions of transferring the coin.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Evil sleight. This is my unicorn....I just can't seem to master it.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
I had some trouble getting out of backpalm in the traditional manner with my left hand until I tried this approach. As opposed to reversing the backpalm sleight to get out of the position I turn the hand down and make a fist( ala goshman/tenkai pinch )and slide the coin out with my thumb.
The method Jaz mentioned is also excellent if finger strength is a problem.
I think you can find an illustration of that method ( correct me if I am wrong) in the back of Bobo's book.
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I said: One way is to I release the pinky finger and there are other, better back of hand concealments IMO.

Katterfel22 says: I think you can find an illustration of that method ( correct me if I am wrong) in the back of Bobo's book.

It's near the back, yes.
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
This is considered and obsolete sleight. Try either sol stone's first finger backclip or Tenki's pinch.

Joe Rindfleisch
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I enter tenkai/goshman pinch like doing a back palm with a coin, that is basically the same move and entry I would use for a card backpalm, but end up holding the coin in tenkai/goshman pinch. You might find that works for you.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
Something else that helped me. Get some larger coins such as silver dollars or any larger heavier coin you can find. Practice the moves you want to do with those and you will find it much easier to work with smaller coins. Also try doing the sleights blindfolded or with your eyes closed to get a better feel of where the coin rests on your fingers during a sleight. This will help you to realize when a coin is out of the proper position in the sleight/grip. Hope this helps.
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Why would anyone use this sleight? I can't figure out any advantage to it over the Tenkai Pinch or even a Deep Backclip.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
The only advantages are marginally better angles, but certianly for clsoe up the funny fingered look makes it pretty obselete.
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Quote:
On 2006-05-17 10:06, Jeff Corn wrote:
Why would anyone use this sleight? I can't figure out any advantage to it over the Tenkai Pinch or even a Deep Backclip.

A Backclip can have bad angles. I use a backpalm rather than any Backclip for this reason. Never fails. It protects me from curious eyes at adjoining tables.

Dan Watkins (I think) once suggested that if you can reach out and touch the shoulder of your customers, it's safe to use a Backclip. If you can't, it's not. I've never bothered worrying about it, but I'm sure this is good advice as it comes from Dan.

Personally, I don't think any sleight is obsolete. Each one has its use in the right circumstances.

Ian
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
I think the backpalm is superior to any of the backclips I have seen. I feel the angles are much better. When you get good at it, a backpalm has only 1 move to either place or retrieve where backclips often take a multiple moves to place or retrieve them. This can use up time and require greater misdirection to “get away” with.

KeithP
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Please perform coin through the knee with the same visability without using the back palm. Obsolete, sheesh, these kids!
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
To get back to biingruwu's original question:

In what orientation are you holding your hand when you transfer from back to front palm? By that, I mean are you holding your hand perpendicular to the floor (so the audience out front can see your empty palm), or flat and parallel to the floor (so your close up audience can look down on your empty palm)?

In my close-up work I use the backpalm while my hand is parallel to the floor (indicating how a customer should hold out their hand for me to place coins onto it). I originally found this transfer much easier than the traditional stage-like, Miser's Dream version. If you manage this, you and your hand will eventually learn the right finger positions and grips for it to work in the other orientation.

Also, I would suggest getting a good palming coin and practising with that. The sharp milling on (for example) a Nielsen coin makes the move much easier, and again allows you to get the right positioning without dropping the coin all the time.

I hope that helps.

Ian
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 15:57, Rindfleisch wrote:
This is considered and obsolete sleight. Try either sol stone's first finger backclip or Tenki's pinch.

Joe Rindfleisch

No I don't Thank So! I use The Downs Handleing All the Time! And It's even order Then The Bobo's Handleing! The Angles Are Better!!!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Back palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL