The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Stealing coin (matrix effects) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
I have tried the matrix on bill Malones on the loose and I have trouble making the steal as it just looks suspicous .
any tips please??
also do you think matrix is a strong effect to a laymen ?
Bill Malone didn't get as good reaction as he did with his card stuff and ive done a matrix for some laymen and didn't go as well as my card set

Thanks
Jeremy
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Check out the steal from Kevin Kelly's booklet Imterezzo. I believe it's called The Four Star Steal.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Try the one Dean Dill uses on his dvd's. I think it's the one Paul Harris came up with. It looks great
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Jeremy,

How long have you worked with the effect? It may be a case that is simply cured with more practice. You should check into Al Schnider's booklet on the thing. Paul Harris has some nice work on the first steal.

I think it gets a wonderful reaction in the right hands (Armando is a superb example of this). In my opinion, this effect is best done in a slow, deliberate manner (the way Al does his original, which you can see on his website or on L&L publishing's website). Bill's presentation obviously works for him, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. His was a little too quickly paced for my personal taste, but that is just me.

Sincerely,
Karl
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
I don't know about Bill's steal, but for me I just do the one from Shoot Ogawa. I guess that's the simpliest steal. With proper words the steal is un-detectable.

I've just perfromed Matrix for my friends during a re-union dinner. They should be laymen but have seen me perform for a couple of times.

What I did is a rather quick matrix and then a backfire (same logic as Curtis Kam). Originally I planned to use the line "Well... the first one is kind of fast, let me do it again much slower, just for you". But it turned out that after the assembly they were already thrilled, and assigned different person spotting each of the coins. I decided not to use my original line and simply say "alright... pay attention to your favorite coin..." Then... boom! They were ALL stunned by the backfire~! It was soooo unexpected and their reactions are the best I've ever received.

Having said that, a matrix routine with an assembly and then a backfire always grabs attention. Unless the spec. have seen it for many times. This is a wonderful routine, don't miss that... highly recommended~!
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
Ive just seen a new dvd the worlds greatest magic and about 10 matrix variations.
I have just checked out paul Harris free flight and it seems to be more of a coins to card than a matrix effect (very nice though)
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Hi Jeremy, I really like that version that Mr. Malone does on his dvd. I perform it alot. Just remember to not hesitate laying the cards down when doing the steal. Practice it over and over on a close up mat. I have never been caught on that steal. Have fun with it. Mark
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Does someone work on the Vallarino's matrix ?
Lot of good swindles and moves, with one point : visual !

I like the work of Mr. Neighbors, too, particulary his book on the 2-coin gimmick...
Kerwin
View Profile
New user
K
10 Posts

Profile of Kerwin
From a martial-arts perspective, if you can't hide a motion, then make ALL
other movements look like the one you are trying to hide.

In the case of the Matrix, I pick up and set down each coin under each
card. Then when I actually steal the coin, it looks the same.

I hope this helps ... and makes sense.

Kip

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=
Join the Free Weekly ezine ...

<b>The Magic Mentor</b>

"Become a Better Magician Now!"

http://www.CoinSnatching.com
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"In the republic of mediocrity, genius is dangerous."
--Robert Ingersoll
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I urge you to READ Al Schneider's thoughts on matrix in his booklet. Reading it gives you much more insight in why a steal does or does not work than merely copying it from what you see on a dvd.

I agree with you that a steal that is not detected and not suspected is one of the most difficult things in a cards and coins routine. I bet a lot of magicians think about this too easy. So did I to be honest...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Matrix is a very strong effect to a laymen.
timing is also very important when performing this.
what I mean is not making too long pauses or too sh0ort ones .lol . I hope this makes sense . I love the effect and use it quite often.
practice it for a while and you'll be fine.
good luck !

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I would recomened get Bruce Cervon's book Hard-Boiled Mysteries. I use this routine all the time with a lot of sucess. I also really enjoy the ending to this routine.
Rob Pond
ajaxone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of ajaxone
I believe the best matrix I know is daryls on the video coin classics.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
I have been sessioning this last night with another magician and have come up with some great presentations and subtleties and ,
I am going to follow the matric routine with paul Harris Free flight which would be strong you go from using 4 cards to one card
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Jezza,

Glad you enjoyed the evening. I certainly did. Its got me trawling through the coins for beginners thread. Actually, Jezza really got the knack of the Malone steal so it was looking very smooth and deceptive by the end of an intense and sometimes hilarious evenings entertainment.

Best Regards,

Paul H
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Shoot Ogawa has a great Matrix routine on "Shoot Goes to Hollywood". If you don't leave with a great routine after watching his DVD, I'm sure you'll at least pick up some great ideas... He's so technical!

Bryan
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
I performed the coin matrix for some boys at cub camp and they thought it looked incredible so I guess I have it now ,I also performed free flight to very good reaction so am very pleased indeed as have something new in my repertoire.

Paul yes I enjoyed the session the other night and I think you would enjoy some coin work (it is also addictive)

Regards
Jeremy
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
The Mano lift is increditable , called the de magnatized raven non gimmick.
this slight is well worth the practice. A coin worker can do wonders with this slight the matrix or shadow coins can be taken to another level.
it is featured on my dvd La famiglia
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Shoot Ogawa has quite a few variations to the classic Matrix. He has one called the No Steal Matrix, because you don't have to steal a coin. He also does a double Matrix on the videos. These are on Shoot in Hollywood and, though sparingly, in the Cultural Exchange videos.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes but Shoot needs a card to steal the coin with the Mano lift only the hand is used........... it looks just like the raven only no gimmick
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Stealing coin (matrix effects) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL