The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Charlie Miller Indian Style Cups History ... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Would appreciate some help in locating information pertaining to the history of Charlie Miller Indian style cups.

I understand that Morrisey was selling Charlie Miller Indian Cups but I am not able to find it at their site now.

When and how did this set of cups started? Did anyone (including Charlie) actually use this set of cups in their performances? Where can I find a set - I would love to buy one too.

Thanks in advance for the much needed info (for my indepth learning on all kinds of cups and balls history).
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
James,

Morrissey still has these Indian style cups listed. (Their web site can be a bit difficult to navigate sometimes.) Check this page, a little more than half way down, right below the Chop Cups.

Greg
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Not sure if it is really true, but someone told me these were "end pieces" from drapery rods. Anyone know? (Palmer?)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You know, they do look like that! But Morrissey has been manufacturing those for probably about 25 or 30 years. The set I have is one I inherited from the same guy I got my Charlie Miller regular cups from. I wouldn't be surprised, though.

In an article he wrote for Genii, I think he recommended using those Indian bells and cutting off the bottoms of them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Where can I find info on when and how did this set of cups started? Did anyone (including Charlie) actually use this set of cups in their performances? Was this the first set used and were there any other Indian style cups that Charlie used?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2006-05-08 20:10, geemack wrote:
James,

Morrissey still has these Indian style cups listed. (Their web site can be a bit difficult to navigate sometimes.) Check this page, a little more than half way down, right below the Chop Cups.

Greg

Thanks, Greg, will get a couple of that sets from Morrissey asap.

Really appreciate your info

James Tong
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Charlie Miller published his Indian Cups & Balls routine in Magicana. Anyone know the year/issue - and if it's the same version as is/was sold with the brass Miller cups?

Thanks

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Charlie Miller covered the Indian Cups and Balls in two Magicanas: Genii Vol 33 No 3 Nov 68 and Genii Vol 33 No 4 Dec 68. In the first issue he introduces the props and sleights and in the second he explains his routine.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
That's great - thanks Mitch.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2006-05-16 16:37, Mitch Schneiter wrote:
Charlie Miller covered the Indian Cups and Balls in two Magicanas: Genii Vol 33 No 3 Nov 68 and Genii Vol 33 No 4 Dec 68. In the first issue he introduces the props and sleights and in the second he explains his routine.

Thanks, Mitch for this valuable piece of information.

Are this two manuscripts currently available, in any magic shops?

I would love to get them.

Anyone in this forum selling them?
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Quote:
Are this two manuscripts currently available, in any magic shops?

James - I bought my copies on E-Bay. You might check with Richard Kaufman at Genii Magazine as he has back issues of Genii available. I don't know if he has those issues though. You can also check with Michael Henkel of M.H. Magic Magazines:
http://www.mhmagicmagazines.com
He has quite a selection of old magazines and I have bought some hard to find magazines from him in the past. Hope this helps.
Mitch
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Mitch. I will just do that and hopefully either Richard Kaufman or Michael Henkel has those copies. You are a great help.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Since we're on a roll here, I wondered if anyone can help out with another reference that I've tried to chase without any joy. I have a reference to an Indian cups & balls routine by John Pratt called the 'Hindoo Cups and Balls', but I don't know the year or the publisher. ?from the 1940's

Grateful for any info.

Richard
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
That's Johnny Platt, who spent the last years of his life in Hollywood. He was originally from Chicago. Johnny did an Indian Fakir style act. I'm sure Pete Biro remembers him. Abbott made a wooden set of Indian cups at one time, and Tayade from India made a beautiful set. There are several routines in print over the years - I have a file on this and will post the things I have when I get a chance to review the file...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Platt's routine also included a bag and a funny gimmick inside the bag that deliverd one ball at a time... as the routine wound up with production of several, maybe a dozen, balls. It took me years to find one complete.

I believe Magic Inc. turned the cups Platt marketed, and I have a set that Jay Marshall gave me that was not finished (the top knob was not completed).

With permission, I included a set of Platt's instructions when I sold sets of my cups. (temporarily out of stock).
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
One of my disappointments was seeing Johnny Platt on Don Alan's Magic Ranch TV shows do the cups and balls. He was in full hindu wardrobe, sat on the floor ala the Fakirs, but did the standard cups and balls with NON Indian Cups.

Sadly, in his later years, at the Magic Castle, he kept doing the cups and his skill level had dropped off to the point his final loads were constantly flashed.

You got to know when to fold...
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks Paul & Pete for the info.

Paul, if you get a chance to post the sources for Johnnny Platt's material I'd be very grateful. I have a copy of one of his booklets for cups and balls - though that refers to regular cups rather than Indian cups.

If I remember correctly, Jim Riser has a picture of the Platt Indian cups on his website.

Thanks again

Richard
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Pete, when do you think you would put your Hindu Cups in the market again? I am interested in them too.
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Gentlemen, thanks for sharing the informations.
Took the plunge on Gary s Cheppum Panthum, whose material includes techniques AND patter in local dravidian language.
It does not include any tips on final loads from the bag though, where could I find such material ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Charlie Miller Indian Style Cups History ... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL