The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye Tube flat or with ridge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
With the many styles of dye tubes, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the smooth flat style like a pipe and the ones with a raised ridge in the center of the outside? I plan to use it in a rolled up paper tube, and wasn't sure if the ridged one would snag on the paper during the load or if either style works well for that... I haven't bought mine yet, and wanted to see if there is any reason to buy one over the other. Thanks!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The rolled ridge (Rice's Simplex) makes it easier to steal out the tube with the finger and keeps the silks from popping out prematruetly in a barehanded dying routine.

I would suggest that you get Rice's sliding dye tube and the booklet "Thru the dye tube" . This type will work best with a paper. The booklet will give you a lot of information on using this type of tube.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
If you have a flat tube, you can wrap a ribber band around it to serve a like purpose.
POOF!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-05-08 23:00, folksingmagic wrote:
With the many styles of dye tubes, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the smooth flat style like a pipe and the ones with a raised ridge in the center of the outside? I plan to use it in a rolled up paper tube, and wasn't sure if the ridged one would snag on the paper during the load or if either style works well for that... I haven't bought mine yet, and wanted to see if there is any reason to buy one over the other. Thanks!

The dye tube you are refering to is a hand dye tube. For your routine using a rolled paper the plunger type is the one to use. See Rice Magic for the correct dye tube.

The rolled edge is for a hand dieing of silks, it permits the gimmick to be stolen with one finger, whereas the straight tube requires a 2 finger grasp to steal the gimmick.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Thanks for all the advice, and I'm going to try out the several types you've suggested as I go along. I just got a Morrissey Hand Model with tape (what my local shop had) and at first try it seemed to do exactly what I wanted, loaded well and could be ditched easily.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The kind with a "lip" at the opening enhances Al Baker's handling...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 16:00, folksingmagic wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, and I'm going to try out the several types you've suggested as I go along. I just got a Morrissey Hand Model with tape (what my local shop had) and at first try it seemed to do exactly what I wanted, loaded well and could be ditched easily.

Morrissey sells both types, turned in lip and straight, which did you get?
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I got what seems to be the straight-lipped one. Been spending a bit of time loading and reloading it with my 18" silks and they fit just right (one silk capacity). There's an occasional catching first silk in the tape, but I think from the very small amount frequency of that it's just a matter of loading the silk correctly in the first place, and I've only ever used a dye tube for around 24 hours in my life now, so it bears practicing with to get it all smooth anyway. It's about 2.5" long with a diameter of 1".
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Also just ordered the 3-volume set of Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic plus the newer 4th volume afer getting to leaf through a copy of I think Vol. 2 - looks like it might be as fun for me as Tarbell... so many ideas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would invest in a Rice Palmo, simplex dye tube and all three sizes of the Baker sliding dye tube from Ruth Rice while you can still get them.

I picked one of each of the larger dye tubes and 3 each of the Palmos and Simplexes. That should last my lifetime.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Yes, that'd be a good idea - having only worked with the one so far, I know I'll have much more versatility with a few different tubes that also have multiple-silk capacity and/or diferrent uses. Boy, I can't believe I've gone decades without a dye tube - I got my self-contained color-changing-silk years ago and always laughed at the idea of a dye tube. Shows what I knew Smile Having just one has already opened up a new world of possibilities for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye Tube flat or with ridge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL