The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Favorite Carneycopia Effects? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2319 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey John,
Glad you could be with us finally! I have been excited about your visit for a long time.

My 3 favorite effects from your book are: Ethereal Pack, Current Classic, and Final Trace. The routines are just so well put together, I enjoy them so much! Thanks for publishing the material.

What do you still perform from that book on a regular basis? And what are your favorite routines to do for magicians and laymen?

Thanks John!
Brian
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Hey Brian,

I think my favorite trick I have come up with is The Logical Bill. It has good minor productions with a great finish. I like the fact that the trick is so self contained and that the finish to the trick is the gimmick! I love the simplicity of it.

That said, I still do this for people. I keep the prepared packet in a tiny bulldog clip in my pocket. If I see an opportunity, I will quietly get it in finger palm and remove the clip.....all before any magic is announced, of course.

I come back to many tricks in Carneycopia at different times, but some take a bit of practice to get me back up to speed. Mostly to memorize the correct order of things and that I don't leave anything out! I worked most of this stuff out at a time when I was at the Castle every night, and performing close up much more often. It was an exciting time, visiting and learning from the Professor, then going home to work on things to show the next night. It was a very creative period. I still feel creative, but I have slowed down a bit and channel the creativity into other areas of performance. I want to be an all around magician. I love it all.

I suppose I perform the sponges (Current Classic), Fruit Cup and the Coin in Bottle most frequently. The sponges are my bread and butter close up trick. It gets attention quickly and is a great opener. It is fast moving and to the point. I have done it under the most demanding conditions and it always delivers. But I feel it is more suitable to professional work (cocktail party, strolling) where you are expected to have props. For impromptu work, I prefer to look like I am not prepared (even if I have a bill-loaded lemon in my pocket). Tricks with table knives, pencils or perhaps cards are more suitable in these situations. The fact that you are prepared is part of the secret. So, it is great when you are prepared and they don't suspect it.

The coin in bottle was interesting, because I thought the way most people put it in and take it out looked unconvincing and inelegant. It should look effortless, instead of the frantic shaking of the bottle and other suspicious handling. I wanted to make it go in through the side and out through the side. It was one of my first attempts at thinking outside the box. Up to then, I was satisfied doing things the way they were described. Which is a good thing, I think, because I didn't start without any rules. I learned the rules from those that knew more than I, from books, from listening, and watching. Then, only after I had learned the rules, could I begin to break them. Now they are no longer rules, they are guidelines. If I break a rule, I have a reason, and it is compensated by my thought and experience.

thanks for the interest,
carney
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2319 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
John,
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I certainly love the coin in bottle. I have not read it in Carneycopia yet. I will do so tonight and have some fun with it.

And I agree with you on "Current Classic." It definately is an eye opener. People never stop gasping when I do this trick of yours.

Thanks,
Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Favorite Carneycopia Effects? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL