The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Mastercard Commercial » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2315 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I looked on your site, it states you did a Mastercard Commercial. Can you tell us what it was like? When did it run on TV?
Brian
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
This was about 10 years ago. It was a fluke that I got it.

A friend at the time, was having car trouble and asked me to help him out by driving him to an audition. I did not have an agent to represent me, and really had NO interest in the auditioning process, so I just dropped my friend off and came back later to pick him up. He had not auditioned yet, so after waiting around for an hour, he suggested, "Why don't you sign in?". I was reluctant, but eventually, I signed in.

I looked at the script and quickly jerry-rigged some magic to fit, and went in to have it taped. Afterwards, I took my friend home......when I got to my home, there was a phone message with a call back! I went in more prepared this time, and taped it again. I custom designed some stuff for the shoot that night, had a meeting the next day.......... then shot the thing two days later!

All of the sudden there were dozens of people......advertising people, the MC people, writers, producers, a director, and technicians all looking at me to deliver on a million dollar commercial.......just a bit of pressure. Three days before I was just killing time pacing the parking lot of the casting director! How did I get here!

They asked that I do it all without stopping, no cuts. It was very difficult for the magic handling to not stop, and I did not have the comfort of misdirection. The unblinking eye of the camera was unforgiving. We shot things over and over, for perhaps 10 hours.....it was a lot of pressure, a lot of things to figure out and a lot of work! Then, after all the extra work to do it straight through, they edited the hell out of it. I could have used easier methods. But it all looked pretty good and some people thought I used camera tricks.....but it was all live as you see it.

It only went regional (less $$ than a national) so I didn't buy a house with the money.......but did buy a nice new car!

By the way, the "friend" that I drove to that audition, resented me for getting the commercial and this was instrumental in the dissolution of the friendship. Its easy to be friends when nothing is up for grabs, but when the chips are down, you find out who your real friends are!

If we have the world view that there is only scarcity in the world, then we will always feel like we are not getting our due, that others are "stealing" our opportunities. If we have the world view of abundance, we will know that the only thing that stands in our way is our own selfishness and short-sightedness.

No matter how great you may become at magic, you will never be a successful human being without maturity. Be a complete person, not just a magician.

T. Nelson Downs, in the Art of Magic said, "Just because you can do some magic, doesn't mean you don't need to know anything else".

good luck,
carney
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Great story- thanks for sharing it with us. Your thoughts on competitiveness and friendship and maturity are very wise and I appreciate reading them here.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
thecardtrick
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
72 Posts

Profile of thecardtrick
Haha great story. I think the real lesson here is that it's important to put yourself and your work out there. A lot of the time the big break is a fluke, lucky timing, whatever. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2315 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hi John,
Thanks for a great story. It is unfortunate about your old friend. Too bad he had to be that way.

Brian
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3499 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Quote:
On 2006-05-11 23:57, John Carney wrote:

If we have the world view that there is only scarcity in the world, then we will always feel like we are not getting our due, that others are "stealing" our opportunities. If we have the world view of abundance, we will know that the only thing that stands in our way is our own selfishness and short-sightedness.

John, if I may say so, that's very nicely put. Is that something you've come to, or inspired by someone else? If the latter, I'd like to read more. If the former, well, I was already a fan.

Truth discovered through magic, who knew?

Everyone else has already said the rest--thanks for sharing.

Curtis
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Curtis,
I don't know where I first heard this concept.....but it seems to have a lot of overlap in many philosophies.

I am in no way connected to or am endorsing this site, but I googled it after reading your post, looking for a reference, and don't find anything on this single page I disagree with or cringe at. Reader beware.....

http://www.healthesteem.com/explo_main.html

best of luck,
carney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Mastercard Commercial » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL