We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedic lines in mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Best line specifically for mentalism I can think of (Max Maven's): Start by describing what's supposedly going to happen, how you're going to send/receive images, etc, etc, and then add to the end "and we're going to do this without anybody getting hurt"

Another quick one liner, I've know it since I was in middle school
"I graduated from the school of psycho-ceramics. That's where they study crack-pots"
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
steve_sargent
View Profile
New user
Steve Sargent
89 Posts

Profile of steve_sargent
Derren Brown to a heckler: "If you don’t be quiet I’ll make you wet the bed for the rest of your life"
"Easy to do and completely angle proof"
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I respectfully disagree with the those who say don't use "cliched, worn-out, standard" one-liners in your act. If you can write brilliant, 100 percent origial material, wonderful! More power to you! But if you can't (and not everyone can!), then at least you've got something to fall back on. It is important, vitally important, that the line fits your persona and the situation. Don't just throw the lines in to throw them in (unless that is your persona).

Good comedy is expensive. When Jeff Dunham was touring in Sugar Babies many years ago, one of the comedians (an old burlesque pro who name escapes me at the moment) told him that if you buy a $5.00 joke book and get two good jokes out of it, it's money well-spent.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 09:33, bevbevvybev wrote:
Now I just want you to make your mind totally blank

... backed up with 'You've done this before'

I liked this one, bevbevvybev. Smile
Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
There is some good lines coming here guys.

I sometimes say I am the wandering mind reading magician and I was wondering if you wanted to have your mind read.

This usually gets a good hearty laugh.

Just my 2 pence worth.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 20:33, steve_sargent wrote:
Derren Brown to a heckler: "If you don’t be quiet I’ll make you wet the bed for the rest of your life"

I like that one. Most hecklers would not stop though. That is a hard promise to back up. Unless Derren is going to break into the guys house everynight and put his fingers in warm water.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
It's what I'd do!

JPL

Quote:
On 2006-06-02 22:59, chichi711 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 20:33, steve_sargent wrote:

I like that one. Most hecklers would not stop though. That is a hard promise to back up. Unless Derren is going to break into the guys house everynight and put his fingers in warm water.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
If you feel a nice warm feeling between your ears its only me getting to know you...if you feel it anywhere else meet me after the show..

Ok you have to be careful who you deliver it to.

Heckler- ask them to stand up. Get the spot light on them. And say you just wanted to see what arsehole looked like and continue the show leave them in the spotlight. It works.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Drunk: "I remember my first beer.............Jerk"
JoeMagician
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of JoeMagician
Bascom Jones actually catalogued all the great lines from MAGICK. It is an amazing resource for mentalists.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
692 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Quote:
Bascom Jones actually catalogued all the great lines from MAGICK. It is an amazing resource for mentalists.

It certainly is a good book, I have seen sombody else's copy, but I would love to get my hands on my own. Like Magick it's out of print and not available!

Franklin
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
What's the book called?

is it this

http://www.ronjo.com/thestore/prods/bkpropatter.html
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
"I'm not doing this JUST to be weird..."

"I prefer to remain anomalous."

"Normal? Normal is a setting on my dryer."

"That which does not kill me can only make me stranger."

(Are these lines giving you an idea of my persona yet?)
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
"My name is Jeff Richards, and I know what you're thinking....(pause for a long while, wait for laugh)...What the hell is a mentlist?"

Opening line, works for me...
xxx
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
If someone is overly enthusiastic I immediately see it as a threat and don't allow the unbridled participation to wreck my show. A howler of a bit I've used for years is to walk over to them with a large halibut (which I keep wrapped in plastic in my briefcase)use it to slap them across the face, gouge them in the eyes with my pinkies and pour a can of green paint down their pants while shouting "Suck my ****!!!" Boy, does it make the crowd laugh and let 'em know who's in charge. After that all of my "No, the clean hand" jokes REALLY go over swell.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Why not use the old line as a starting place? ...

Please make your mind a total Blank?

Now as an exercise, write 5-10 original replies to othe above line ... you may find one you like better than the standard line and it will play better because YOU wrote it ...

Here is one of the lines I wrote for the above ...

I glance at my wristwatch, "Wow! ... and he did that without the use of chemicals or TV" ...
JoeMagician
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of JoeMagician
Well if you really want to be a goofball,amd are collecting dorky lines, do the GAry Darwin thing, not sure if he wrote it or if it is someone else's. I'll have to ask him.
"I see you have a lot on your mind it's a vacant lot"
"You have an open mind, I can feel the breeze from here"
Aaron DeLong
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
278 Posts

Profile of Aaron DeLong
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 19:18, cfrye wrote:
Prepare to fail if you recycle others' material, especially those old lines. Let your humor develop out of what's happening on stage and your interaction with the volunteer. Yes, it means you must perform a routine a few dozen times for an audience before you have a presentation, with gags, that you can start to improve.

Curt

Curt,
I agree 100% with your statement! It is so true. My funiest lines are not the ones that I get from the patter section of the effect's manual - with the exception of HOLD IT BUDDY by Dan Harlan -

However, I use this bit in some of my mentalism. I have a card that has the words "I KNEW THAT" written on it. I tell them I will do some mentalism, ask any question and no matter the answer, I reveal the "I KNEW THAT". It gets a good laugh. I got that from Jon Allen's Silent Treatment. Its a lot of fun. And you can produce it several times during the routine.

Cheers,
Aaron
Michael Ammar will one day cure all known diseases as a kicker to his coins across routine.

Get the facts! Visit www.AmmarFacts.com!
www.tru-magic.com
www.doubledtour.com
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
692 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Hi Mesaboogie

Thanks

Yes, I think that is the book although I don't remember it being spring bound but that doesn't matter.

Thanks again

Franklin
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2006-06-14 08:03, Aaron DeLong wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 19:18, cfrye wrote:
Prepare to fail if you recycle others' material, especially those old lines. Let your humor develop out of what's happening on stage and your interaction with the volunteer. Yes, it means you must perform a routine a few dozen times for an audience before you have a presentation, with gags, that you can start to improve.

Curt

Curt,
I agree 100% with your statement! It is so true. My funiest lines are not the ones that I get from the patter section of the effect's manual - with the exception of HOLD IT BUDDY by Dan Harlan -

However, I use this bit in some of my mentalism. I have a card that has the words "I KNEW THAT" written on it. I tell them I will do some mentalism, ask any question and no matter the answer, I reveal the "I KNEW THAT". It gets a good laugh. I got that from Jon Allen's Silent Treatment. Its a lot of fun. And you can produce it several times during the routine.

Cheers,
Aaron

Wow Aaron! you and I have a lot of things in common! I LOVE Harlan's hold it buddy and hold it buster. So hillarious! harlan is my teacher and I just love the whole routine! I agree as well with what you are saying. Instead of asking ppl on the Café for comedy lines, come up with your own. don't put little one liners in your act unless they have something to do with your act. make sure what you say fits you and your audience!

Mike
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedic lines in mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL