The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request - Juan Hundred Dollar Bill Switch DVD by Doug McKenzie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
258 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Question - can I use this switch and then perform a bill in lemon/kiwi effect after? as apposed to using the 100 hundred dollar switch?
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
I don't know which bill in lemon effect you are performing, but the switch works perfectly for the one that I do (Bill Malone's version)

BR,

Doug
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Is it me? Is it not obvious what is happening? I prefer, Chevrie's handling better. That was more magical. Here there is more fumbling and the move is pretty much obvious for the trained eye. And keep in mind, I am familiar with the move and maybe that's the reason its obvious to me.
To believe is Magic.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Please PM me with what you think is happening. I would be very interested to see how accurate you are. This effect has fooled some of the best minds in magic and the behind the scenes work is quite detailed.

D
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
So those owners of Hundy 500 can just adapt their gimmick to do it in the hands of the spectators? Or is the gimmicke entirely different?
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Gimmick is exactly the same
therapysessions
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
41 Posts

Profile of therapysessions
Here's my review of the Juan Hundred Dollar Bill switch DVD

I'd like to start off by saying I am not familiar with the original handling of the Juan pablo bill switch, but I personally perform visi-bill and Hundy 500 almost all the time.

The DVD:

The DVD is VERY well made. The running time is about 35 mins. The DVD is broken up into many sections which make it easy to navigate. Rather than having to wait through an entire explaination to work on how to clean up, etc, the dvd is broken up into materials, prep, the change, clean up..etc. All easily accessable with the push of the skip foward or go back button on the dvd player.

The lighting and sound of the dvd are clear and we are given great over the shoulder shots to help us get through learning the effect and the best shot of all which I wish a lot of the other bill change dvds did is a direct upclose performers view of the entire effect. FINALLY!

Doug also gives great performance tips in terms of conditions and working with spectators barrowed bills and different sized bills.

Also included are some quick variations using the effect, my favorite is Dougs take on Paul Harris' nightshades, very clever and fun. But I have to say the Bonus Hundy 500 "Handy 500" effect where the bills change in the spectators hand is worth the price of the DVD alone! I would have never thought of it. Genius!

The effect itself

Basically, in comparison to the switches I use on a regular basis, the visibill, the Juan switch is much more of a flash switch. I personally prefer something more slow like the visibill, but the strength in this effect is that it does not require any folds and looks much much more "clean" in terms of the spectators eyes because there's basically no moves that would be considered "funny".

The required materials every magician should have and if you perform any other switch you will be right at home with this. The handling is very smooth, if you watch the demo you will see Doug does a great job performing and teaching it.

I also find The Juan Change much easier for me to perform. I've always had small problems with the visibill change and the original 100 bill switch because of the handlig, but I find the Juan change for me goes a lot smoother than my Visibill/100 dollar change.

Overall, I see myself using this a lot and will be adding it to my bank of bill switch effects for when I want to perform a bill switch that is open with no folding.

I feel that this was a very very good buy for me and I have basically nothing bad to say about this effect or DVD. So I'm giving it at 10/10.

Unrelated Question for Doug: Where'd you get that amazing Carter the Great huge poster in your BG?
therapysessions
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
41 Posts

Profile of therapysessions
^ oh nevermind. I just saw the credits and realized its david blaine's.
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
Doug Mackenzie is a new york magic hub and he has brought together many slices of the ney york big magic apple to create a peach.

Go Doug.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Thanks for your kind review. Im glad you like the handling.

BR,

Doug
p.aulo.r
View Profile
New user
Portugal
37 Posts

Profile of p.aulo.r
Does this work well with Euro Bills?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I really appreciate the mutual respect shown by both Lonnie Chevrie and Doug McKenzie on this post. Now that is the way it should be. No egos getting in the way as magicians attempt to push a concept to the nth degree and make it the best possible it can be. I liked the way both Lonnie and Doug were able to discuss the effect(s) rationally, calmly and objectively and how they weighed the pros and cons of each method. How refreshing. How professional.

In fact, this entire thread is a model of what reviews (and respectful questioning/disagreement) should be like. What a welcome change from NOT having a bunch of fawning hero-worshippers and "hangers-on" defending their particular hero and his method and 'dissing any other alternative and then having the thread degenerate into a big pi**ing contest and flaming war. IMHO, the posters on this thread (present company excepted) "did the Café proud".

What a nice thread. Way to go everyone!!!

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
It's easy to respect someone like Doug MeKenzie. A true gentleman and a brilliant magician. His work on the Juan Pablo bill change is superb. Anyone interested in this effect simply has to get this DVD. In my opinion however, the vertical movement during this effect should be longer and slower, but the handling that Doug has introduced is ingenious. Support Doug and other creative magicians like my friend Andrew Mayne, the products that they bring to the market are good for magic. I support their efforts and will continue to do so in the future.
Lonnie Chevrie
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1617 Posts

Profile of bugjack
First off, I don't know either this switch, Chevrie's handling or the original Juan Pablo. That said, am I the only one less than impressed by the actual change on the "Juan Hundred" demo? From the finger positioning -- thumb on front to four fingers on front -- it is clear that the bill is just being turned over. To say that it is changing because one is blowing on it seems like a stretch for the audience. Now, what is amazing is when the bill is turned over to reveal no other bill. That for me is the moment of magic... not the actual switch.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-05-17 15:16, therapysessions wrote:
Here's my review of the Juan Hundred Dollar Bill switch DVD

The DVD is VERY well made. The running time is about 35 mins. The DVD is broken up into many sections which make it easy to navigate. Rather than having to wait through an entire explaination to work on how to clean up, etc, the dvd is broken up into materials, prep, the change, clean up..etc. All easily accessable with the push of the skip foward or go back button on the dvd player.

The lighting and sound of the dvd are clear and we are given great over the shoulder shots to help us get through learning the effect and the best shot of all which I wish a lot of the other bill change dvds did is a direct upclose performers view of the entire effect. FINALLY!

[/quote]

AMEN!! I certainly wish more DVD performers/DVD makers would follow that format. The specific menu items on the "work" is very handy and the "over the shoulders" view makes learning sooo much easier that it should almost be mandatory on insturctional videos.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
Bugjack you are exactly right. This visual change has to be handled correctly or the effect is more of a vanish than an actual change. Something that will excite magicians more than the non-magician. Starting with your hands lower to make a longer vertical movement done slowly with minimal finger movement is the key. This can be an effective visual piece of magic when handled correctly. Otherwise the effect is "what happened to the other bill?"
Lonnie
J. Rose
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of J. Rose
Wow....I just purchased this effect today, and I think it looks awesome, but the handling however....
People who have this, how long has it taken you to perfect the handling of this?

Any tips?
J. Rose
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of J. Rose
Nevermind what I said earlier...The handling is genuis after some or should I say many practices. I even managed to find a way to use this without the gimmick. Very handy for impromptu tricks.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Im glad you like it. For versions that don't require using a gimmick, you should definitely check out the original Juan Pablo handling and Lonnie Chevrie's brilliant solution.

D
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
I agree with Bugjack, I was far more amazed by the lightning fast appaerence and disappaerence of the bill than the actual change. But that is also because I watch with an magician's eye. Very good effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request - Juan Hundred Dollar Bill Switch DVD by Doug McKenzie (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL