The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Real Time Design Duplication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Hello All,

I recently saw a mentalist do something quite remarkable - He had a spectator stand "back to back" with the mentalist, she was handed a pad and marker and instructed to draw ANY simple design on "the count of three." Anything. No forcing, no "use this index card" etc. Just draw ANYTHING.

While she drew her design, the performer simultaneously drew a design - yes, in real time - and they matched.

I have my suspicions as to how this is done, but this "miracle" is quite perplexing. Also, the format of the room and audience precluded pre-show work and I was very careful to listen for "dual reality speak."

So... my question to you all is this. This superb demonstration has suddenly piqued my interest in "real time design duplication". Are any of you aware of such an effect described in the current literature?

(By the way, let's rule out "pencil/marker" reading because they stood back to back. Also, I was literally 4 feet away, so stage mirrors and such seem NOT to have been used either.)

Any thoughts or ideas? Please also note- Such a method would clearly open up many other performance possibilities and variations for all of us! Your thoughts and guidance would be very much respected and appreciated.
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1473 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I can only speculate, since I was not there. I'd think, however, that when put on the spot and asked to draw something quickly on the count of three, that most people would draw something simple -- like a smiley face, perhaps. Do you remember what the drawing was?

Also, don't discount the possibility of PSW.

Ben
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Ben,

The design was that of a fairly simple flower, a daisy. However, if you think of the range of possibilities and the risk (!!) I find it unlikely he would tackle this effect in this manner.

Also, keep in mind NO additional instructions or "deletion instructions" to winnow down the list of available possibilities was ever used.

Interesting enigma, eh?

Thanks for the feedback!

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Would this have been Christopher Caldwell by any chance? If so, there's a clip of him performing this effect at:

http://www.chriscaldwell.net/draw.rm

I emailed Chris to ask him if this was his own effect or if it had been published previously but so far I've had no reply.
morrison
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of morrison
I've done exactly this using my slightly modified white board for the replication and a small item that costs les that £1. Hint: watch the stage lighting or somebody is going to "spot" it!
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1234 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Morrison, yeah, I use that, too. It's the back-to-back bit that makes it work.
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
There's a little too much being revealed here for the public mentalism forum.

Please make posts relating to mentalism methods--if you must at all--in the "Inside" area.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Hi Ben. I can't be sure - after all, I'm not psychic - but I guess you're referring to Steve Cohen. PSW is the answer, but I do agree with Mystic1, this forum is not really supposed to be about methods. There's a 'secret' sectin for that!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
I know this is possibly not the exact effect but I advise you (VERY STRONGLY) to buy BOB CASSIDY MENTAL MIRACLES(?). Can't remember what it is called but he has an effect which is a stunner which he tells a person the name of their dead animal, a friend someone hasn't seen for years and finshes off with a drawing dup., back to back, in real time. I decided to watch the effect a few times and try to work it out before watching the method...you would not believe it, It looks sooo sweet and there are no CTs etc.. Best of all, Bob doesn't even handle anything other than his pen and his pad of paper. Anyone else care to comment on this?
Other effects inclde memorising a pack of cards in 15secs (brilliant), a revelation of a previously thought of card on the same persons birthday in a diary. Lots of really usable effects onhere great little ideas.
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Thanks for the comments. By the way, I only 'discovered' the magic Café forum a few months ago, even though I've been an active 'mentalist' for years. I just have to say the quality of people on this discussion group - and quality of input - far surpasses any other I've ever been involved with. Glad to be involved with you all.

Cheers.

Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Ben
You said "...the quality of people on this discussion group - and quality of input - far surpasses any other I've ever been involved with..."
All I can say is that you obviously have not been to many other forums have you. Smile
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Steve Cohen
View Profile
New user
New York City
9 Posts

Profile of Steve Cohen
Ian,

Yes. Ben Cummings recently attended my show at the Waldorf-Astoria, and the 'mentalist' he was referring to is me.

Incidentally, I have some new double-speak that entirely eliminates any thoughts of PSW. I won't reveal it here, but this one scenario helps magnify the 'miraculous' revelation even further.

-Steve
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
ahh but you raise the bar Paul..but you're right - I ignore most people here including myself Smile

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Hello Steve,

Thanks for your comments! By the way, Steve Cohen's mentalism show is the BEST I have ever seen. If you're in New York City make it a point to go to Steve's show "Chamber Magic".

My girlfriend, who like most of our significant others is somewhat "magic jaded" due to being used as guinea pigs for our effects day and night... even she is still raving about the performance! (Trust me Steve, that in itself is a miracle!)

If nothing else, Steve's multiple phase book test is brilliant and stunning in presentation. You should have heard the gasps in the audience.

If you see only one magic/mentalism show this year, go see Steve's. (No, Steve is not paying me a dime to plug his show!)

Best wishes,
Ben

Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Does Steve have any books or videos out?
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Not that I'm aware.

Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1849 Posts

Profile of Lior
I can do real time
no Pre show
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
As I reflect upon this thread, it occurs to me that a very simple (not easy, simple) method for this exact effect has been around for many years.

Oh, oh. I've just given it away ... to a few experienced people.

Sid Smile
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
MikeTheRed
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of MikeTheRed
Sid...
your post made me laugh out loud...

Very clever you are....lol....

mike
brainman
View Profile
Special user
841 Posts

Profile of brainman
well...some should edit their posts a bit NOW...too obvious in an OPEN forum.
We know that you know but do you must know that others know that you know, you know...?
There are many methods out there for this stunt - but keep as many hidden from lurkers as possible.
Thanks,

P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Real Time Design Duplication (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL