The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Metamorphosis: Which is Better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
Which do you find more impressive for the classic illusion of the Metamorphosis/sub trunk? Is it more appealing for the Magician to be locked in the trunk and escape while the assistant stands on top... or for the magician to stand on top and appear in the trunk where the assistant was just? Technically it's the same thing...just a person for person switch regardless, but if someone one was billed as the star of the show...which roll would you like to see that performer in?

-Eric D.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have always liked the "One, two, three, it's ME!" where the assistant ends up on top of the box. It just seems especially "lyrical", or something. I also liked the version performed by the Magic Plumbers, where they think it is such a nice illusion that it shouldn't be rushed.

;)

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
I attended The Pendragons Lecture at a local magic convention and this question was brought up to Jonathan Pendragon. He mentioned that the person who can jump down fastest should be the one going down and the person who can get up fastest should be coming up. Their metamorphosis is still lengendary...
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I find it easier to have the assistant start inside the box. I think it's more difficult to start as the person on the outside so I always do that. I've had 18 years of experience and I haven't managed to hold onto an assistant for more than 4 years.

Michael
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I prefere to start in subtrunk, cause then I will be appearing and enjoing the owations and applause Smile
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
What has always baffled me is the length of time it takes (many) to reveal the person in the box after the effect is over. As fast as we can do a costume change there's really no need to stall for time or drag out the presentation. Stretching the routine out on the front end is better.
I eliminated locking the box, it is logical if I'm standing on the lid it's not going to open.
POOF!
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I think that it is more magical for the magician to start in the box. He magically escapes from his bonds, and from the box. And then is on the box triumphantly!

This is when the magic happens. Bang, you're on the box! This is when the audience is suprised. The applause here is for YOU. Not for your assistant while you are in the box. You are the magician! The audience wants to show you the gratification, not your assistant.

In an act like the Pendragons, where both Jonathan and Charlotte are the stars, it maybe does not matters as much.

I agree with Kregg, I think that the time after the person appears on the box should be as short as possible. Basically once the switch happens, the magic is over. There is nothing to anticipate, an audience member could come on stage and finish the trick for you (unlock the box, help her out, etc...).

scott
Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
I think Doug Henning used to do it the otherway so it would be more astonishing when he was released from inside the trunk and wearing a different costume? Do you think this depends on if there's a costume change or not?

-Eric D.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm not a real fan of the costume change. It doesn't add anything of substabce to the effect, and it could leave the audience wondering if there is a third person involved.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
I have never actually noticed a costume change. It always had to be pointed out to me. It never seems too magical as it takes a long time to be able to open the trunk and, as you've all said, the visual magic is over with the substitution anyway.
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
evgulick
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of evgulick
I tend to see the subtrunk as being more effective when the magician is the one who starts in the box. The escape element that can be included into the initial presentation I believe adds to the performance. Also I do think that many acts hold the curtain up too long after the switch, that's one of the elements that really seperates performances. The "instant" replacement in the Pendragons act just is so much more effective than the wait wait wait wait wait...ok now drop the curtain performances.

In terms of the costume change I really like that aspect, it adds to the suprise factor. The one thing I have noticed is that many acts do not do enough difference in the costume in terms of style and color. There needs to be that dramatic change to catch the audiences attention.

Evgulick
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
To me, thematically there is rarely a reason to have the costume change. Logically, it would only make sense to me if both magician and assistant change costumes, but I haven't personally seen that. When I think about it, the most logical way to do it would be if their costumes trade colors or something, but that would make it harder to tell what the sub change was.

Perhaps if the change is themed into the story of the trick so that it is logical and looked forward to. Something like:
- A story of true metamorphosis where the assistant in drab colors, through the magician's sacrifice, appears in the trunk in a full butterfly outfit.
- a black and white film noir style where the magician and assistant change to vibrant color against the black and white background (maybe for a thematic transition in a Hollywood themed show)
- the magician, Gregor, changes into a giant bug (for the literary magicians)
- as a comedy routine, the trunk is shown first as "grandpa's old magic trunk" and has some old props and clothes in it. The assistant appears out of it improbably dresed in a ratty old oversized top hat and tails.

Well, thanks for letting me brainstorm here - that's what I love about the Magic Café!
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I personally like the idea of the magician escaping the trunk. However, simple logic to me as one who taught advertising at the university level for years, is that no one in the audience is in a hurry to see a guy get out of a box once the pretty lady appears. They are interested in getting her back!

There is a reality check. No doubt, the last one in the trunk has the hardest job and has to be the faster of the two. (Yep! That's Lucy!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Metamorphosis: Which is Better? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL