The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My first illusion - And it worked! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I had an experiment in the boldest type of "hey look over here!" misdirection last night, and I believe I pulled it off.

We all have to start somewhere with illusions, and like many, I have started with the classic victory cartons.

I recently got a hold of a set of victory cubes after winning a mail-in drawing from Creative Magic. I am using them as a prop ditching station/stage decoration.

LAst night I did a Mother/Daughter banquet at the church where a friend of mine is pastor. I asked her if she wanted to appear magically. This was desired. We ran through the very simple victory cartons floor level presentation earlier in the day, and it was going to be fine.

Only one problem: the "stage" area was at one end of a church basement, right next to where we had the banquet. There was no curtain, and no side door to the area. Anyone walking up on the stage would be seen easily.

I decided to make a go of the boldest, possibly, dumbest form of misdirection. "Hey look over here!" And you won't believe me, but it worked!

I set this up during dinner. I was the only man in the room, and everyone knew I was the guest entertainment. It was a potluck. I set us up at the other side of the room, by the food. I set up my camcorder there, so this all seemed normal. During the meal, I announced to the ladies that there was a cake on the dessert table no one was cutting, because it was so amazingly gorgeous. I cut the cake so no one else would feel bad, then they could eat it. This got a laugh.

Then, at the end of dinner when it was time to actually introduce me, I again went to the dessert table, and asked for their keen attention. I was going to make the calories disappear! Oh no ladies, you got half of this done already! Big laugh this time, and I then introduced my wife and toddler-daughter.

My voice is loud and commanding, and my daughter is cute as a bug's ear. So every eye in the room was on us, exactly 180degrees away from the stage, where the pastor got into place easily unnoticed. Why not? The show hadn't started yet.

When she popped out of the cubes, there was definitely a solid reaction. Sure, thinking backward everyone knows she had to be hiding somewhere at some point, but the element of surprise was retained.

Someone seated at the same table told her after the show "I didn't even notice you were gone!"

That was the idea. Smile
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
380 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Congratulations
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Nice!
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
The K.i.s.s principal at its finest!

You did good.

Ray
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
I loved that story.....Thanks
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Great story... I love the cake/calories joke....

I use to perform a shadow box just made out of old wooden pallets that I painted black with white fabric. The peices sat on the stage/floor while one my assistant was hiding behind the wall...

Anyways, this story brought back the memory of me trying to hide her behind there...
In the past I would bring my crew out and we would set the planks up and hold a sheet around it...talking away.. Then she would just dunk underneath.. NO one noticed....... The sheet was removed during the act and it crated a cool movement as it was wripped away revealing the illusion...

The sheet actually hide the girl before the act as people were walking around as well...

OHhh the days when I would settle for a $50. prop now they are $5,000 .......... Why do toys cost more when you get older???

Cheers
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
MagicofCurtis.

I think that magicians are little boys trapped inside a grown body. We still love playing with our toys and making people smile and laugh if they play with us by watching.

Ray
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Something similar happened the last time I performed. First off, I am no longer a performer, but I participated in my local Ring's fundraising show a couple of years ago. One of the pieces I did was the Kuma Tubes production. After producing lots of silks and the rice, I produced several umbrellas, a forty-foot silk streamer, and a six-foot butterfly silk. My wife and I held up the butterfly silk to signal the end of the performance, and then whisked it away to reveal my eight-year-old daughter, who had been crouching behind my prop table and simply stepped behind the silk. There was an audible gasp from the audience.

A wise person once said "Don't run if you're not being chased!"

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
So long post, but the story is nice Smile
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Well done - most of the time, direct and simple is the best way.

The whole art of magic is to look natural, so what is more natural than you and family introducing yourselves?

Sometimes magicians like to over-complicate things where it is needed.

This works on all levels; even when building illusions: Why use 98 bolts, 12 springs, 8 hinges and special fabric when yon can do exactly the same thing with say 4 screws and a sliding planel? The more machanics that you add to an illusion just means more weight and more things that can go wrong. If there is a direct simpler way to do the same thing, do it!

Good luck with Illusion number 2!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My first illusion - And it worked! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL