The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Violin Rosin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mstrpaige8183
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mstrpaige8183
I have heard that you can use a stick of violin rosin to coat the edge of coins to allow them to grip better to your hands. I've tried this but can't seem to get it to go on evenly. Also there is a noticbly "white" look to the edge of the coins after treatment. Even if I use the dark brown/black form of violin rosin.

Am I treating the coins properly? Or have I missed an important step in the process? Or is there a better method?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3944 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I think Roth talks about working it into the side of the coin. You don't want to lather up the thing, just get enough on it to give a better grip on the coin when it is in classic palm. Its a great idea, BTW!
First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a limited supply of books that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books are here and ready to ship!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
mstrpaige8183
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mstrpaige8183
So its not on the edge, its on the face of the coin? Front and back? I'm working a lot with the "edge palm" rightn ow. I can't seem to get rid of the "pinky buckle" on the last nuckle of the pinky, look from the back view of the hand while it holds multiple coins. I know for the classic palm when you first start out you get that "star fish" look of the hand, then with muscle control and muscle growth it goes away, but starts up again as you increase the number of coins you classic palm.

I assume its the same way with the edge palm. I figured if I got a better grip on the coin, I could hold the coins more "loosely" and that would help with the weird looking pinky-knuckle problem.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3944 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
No, the edge, sorry if I misspoke - I said the side, so as not to be confused withthe faces of the coin.
First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a limited supply of books that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books are here and ready to ship!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I tried it after hearing David Roth mention it at his WMS lecture. It works! Yes, it's light for the first few minutes, but "works in" quickly. It doesn't last forever, so you will need to reapply it occasionally.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Just do me a favor and please don't use Tartini rosin for this.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I did a quick Google search on Tartini. I never thought a wad of tree sap would cause such a fuss.

Besides being expensive, why wouldn't you use it on coins?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2006-05-11 10:32, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I did a quick Google search on Tartini. I never thought a wad of tree sap would cause such a fuss.

Besides being expensive, why wouldn't you use it on coins?

The company has split up and so Tartini Rosin will no longer be made. One of the guys is going to start another company and produce "Similar" rosin, but not Tartini. So not only is it expensive, it's out of production. It's also fantastic rosin and it would break my heart to know that it's going on the edges of coins.

Coins are not as fickle as violins and bows, so different kinds of rosin probably will not matter. All that matters is how sticky you want it. Light rosin is a bit stickier than dark rosin, and the rosins get stickier the lower in instruments you go (viola, cello, and bass being the stickiest). Just go with the cheapest stuff you can find, it will work fine. (Should only cost a few dollars).

Rosin also changes with temperature. Try blow-drying it before applying it to your coins, you may have better success.
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
Be careful not to overdo the rosin and get in on the face of the coins. The coins end up by being too sticky and will not slide over your hands. You may get into a CP and not get it out.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2695 Posts

Profile of Tom G
For some more rosin info. The Tartini was made supposedly based on someone buying a very old violin and finding a very old chunk of rosin. Had it analized and made it up for sale...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That's pretty much what I heard too. Although I think it was "analyzed" instead. The other way sounds... painful. Smile

I've had great luck with the cheapest brand I could find.
mstrpaige8183
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mstrpaige8183
Yeah, I just bought the cheap stuff at West music. I'm trying to find the "sweet spot" in the amount I need to put on it so its not too sticky and just grips nicely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Violin Rosin? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL