We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Vanishing Air Conditioner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Wile the hacking up of an appearing pole might seem sacrilege, using the store bought substitute will give you a rounded flexible "corner" that you can fasten on one side, and have "wrap" gently to cover the side panels.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Quote:
On 2006-05-16 18:43, kaytracy wrote:
Wile the hacking up of an appearing pole might seem sacrilege, using the store bought substitute will give you a rounded flexible "corner" that you can fasten on one side, and have "wrap" gently to cover the side panels.
k

I'm wondering what you mean by "appearing pole" and the "store bought substitute". Is there a readily available substitute for an appearing cane, or are you talking about something entirely different?

Seth
Seth E. Paternoster
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
The appearing pole is different than the appearing cane. Cane are generally under 3 feet, whereas most poles are mostly over 5 feet and are pulled out of something smaller than them, rather than appearing magically. There is a common thing you can buy that will allow you to construct your own appearing pole. Unfortunately, I have yet to see a store bought substitute for an appearing cane, Sepaternoster.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Thanks for the clarification. It's probably best that the appearing cane isn't found as a commonplace item; it might spoil the trick. Anyway, I'm off to the store to buy an appearing pole. Smile

Seth E. Paternoster (I really am going to have to figure out why my "signature" doesn't work.
Seth E. Paternoster
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Ok back to the vanishing AC... Its built!!!!!

Now, for the cloth.... The way I designed it my AC dosent have a top. (I will be on a stage with the television cameras on the ground)

Now I am thinking the gimmick in the cloth can be a piece of strong cardboard the same size as the non existing "top". It cant be dowels or a folding frame because one of the 2 assistants "lifting" the AC will sneak his hand underneath and hold the cardboard "ala waiter tray" Then I do the pull off for the vanish.

Now.. The cardboard glued in between the 2 cloths.... should I glue it only on one of the sides or both? I am thinking if I glue both it will show the outline on a side.. Any other tips and ideas for the gimmick? Thanks a lot I will post a video of the final result when it airs..
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
I don't think you should glue it at all. Just run strings from the four corners of the "top" to the four corners of the cloth. That way, when you pick up the cloth by its corners and spread it, the "top" will find its way to the center, but you won't have the outline problem.

Seth
Seth E. Paternoster
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Instead of the entire rectangle, could you use stiff wires on the two ends only, or on just the ends and the front, so that the frame could collapse when the cloth is whisked away? I've never tried it, but regardless of how you do it, the cloth would need to be double thickness and the sewn/glued part should be on the back/bottom only, I would think.

Semi-related to this, I once saw a magician use a quilted cloth for a vanish. Only now have I realized that it was probably to conceal the gimmick.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
It might be neat (I was going to say cool), as you vanish the AC, if a flurry of snow blows from under the cloth.
POOF!
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Oouuuuuu strings in the 4 corners...Love it.....

As for the convincer effect.... When they lift the AC off the table the electrical cord will be seen dangling from beneath... Then when I whisk the cloth away the AC "morphed" into a gift card.. (thats their promotion)

I will make 3 cloths and experience with all the different ideas here.... Keep them coming guys... I am presently on a trip in Thailand and this !@#*x! AC is all I can think about....a bientot
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22515 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Most companies that request certain illusions, have them built by their master craftsman. I wonder why you did not see if they would build the AC for you. Most of the time, in the end they let you keep the prop if you want it. Or they commission you to build it thru a professional magic illusion builder. They have the budget to for realistic props.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I completely agree with that comment........

Home Depot headquarters called me and asked me if I could make an Air Conditioner vanish. I said yes. They said they could supply me with an Air Conditioner. I told them I would have to build it, and quoted them my fee for the media launch, plus a fee for supplies. We signed the contract and I built it... It actually looks and works great. I am happy with what I have accomplished..

I don't really understand what you meant by:

"Most companies that request certain illusions, have them built by their master craftsman"

Real world companies have master magic crafstmen? I don't get it... I would of/should of asked an ILLUSION builder to build this for me. But at the price I would of paid, considering I am only using this once, I passed. (what do you do with a vanishing AC in a real show?!)

So I built it myself with help from Chance Wolf and a few others who gave me amazing tips here on the Café and over the phone. I did my research, the prop is now built, works beautifully...and cost me................. 90$...

Do I consider this as "cutting corners"? I Guess.... But the pride I feel when this thing vanishes is unexplicable. I never built an illusion before, it was an amazing experience.

Thanks again to everyone..
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Can you post photos somewhere so we can see how well you did, despite our advice? Smile

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Despite your advice??? what do you mean? I got TONS of advice from a lot of people on here.....But yes...i will post the video of the media launch when it airs on June 6th...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22515 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If a company wants a one time illusion just for them they pay/make for that illusion, not the magician. Like for trade shows, a company will pay $100,000.00 for a display booth.
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
I was also thinking that it might be possible to use the "waiter tray" technique for only a short period of time. Once the "top" is in position, the assistants might be able to support it merely with the friction against their bodies (upper arms, chest). They could, perhaps, just stay close together, pressing it against one another as they "carry" it forward. This method would allow both assistants to have both hands "carrying it from the bottom".

Just a thought...
Seth E. Paternoster
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
That is a GOOD idea Seth...Good call
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
K I need help with one last thing for this AC.... I need a logo on it, to make it look more authentic. The box is silver and white. I was thinking like a word written in cursif, so it cant really be read.

Like hard metalic writting kinda like on a car. Any ideas? I am going through salvation army's (thrift stores)to try and find an appliance with something written on it I can take off and glue onto my box. Worse comes to worse I will get a silver sticker, like from a skateboard company or something. But ideally I would like a hard, metallic writting.

Any ideas? Thanks again
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
How about a home depot logo? it's basically just a stencil...

if you just want a chrome logo then this place has a lot of chrome emblems and letters:

http://www.chromeemblems.com/

or you can print your own out on sticky stock:

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/hikersden/chrome.html

or you can make your own in photoshop:

http://www.signcraft.com/Davis119.pdf
http://tinyurl.com/gqmou
http://members.tripod.com/~caretaker_2/chrome.htm
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
It seems like you should be able to chrome letters at an arts and crafts store such as Michael's or A.C. Moore.
Seth E. Paternoster
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Ok so reherasal is tommorow, show day is Tuesday at 10am.. I took the "rost of an Aerostar van logo and used it as my brand, "Rost"..It looks great... I made everything hold together with velcro, looks/works very nicely. I have pics, if you'd like to see it, let me know! Thanks again
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Vanishing Air Conditioner (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL