The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Self Tying Shoelace (a really for REAL review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Hi Doug

I sold a magic colouring book once. However I sent him a blank duplicate (without realising) of the book which you switch in. The guy who bought it was totally confused. He kept emailing me saying the book didn't work. I was confused how he couldn't get it to work - I mean there is nothing to it apart from flicking. He said he had flicked every possible way and eventually sent the book back to me. I realised the error and just imagined the poor guy flicking through the book trying to get a picture to appear.

Anyway, back to the review of the topic in hand ............
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I AM laughing. Oh man...that will stay with me for awhile...Smile Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I'm not sure that the STS should not STILL be listed as a kids trick, I mean it would be (was on the DB special) a GREAT kids trick... it also is a quite entertaining trick for adults. Again, the major selling point for me on this one is that the spectator approaches you and initiates the trick. You are not saying "hey, want to see something cool" or any such silliness. After THEY point out the shoe and you respond with the STS there are endless possibilities of showing them some other cool stuff. It's unique in that way.
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
The power you're seeing with it is due to the circumstances. No one's asking to see any "magic". At a lecture some years back, the lecturer compared two events-

Effect- You will produce a cheeseburger, real, hot, and with all the fixin's.

First situation : You're walking along with friends and you stop them and produce a cheeseburger. -Reaction- WOW, where did that come from?

Second situation : You're walking along with friends and one of them says "I sure am hungry" at which time you produce a cheeseburger. Imagine the reaction then.

Same trick, two different situations and two VERY different reactions. It sounds like this effect lends itself very well to almost always setting up the second situation, which makes for some very powerful reactions.

Interesting...
Steve
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
theoriginalman
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of theoriginalman
I don't have STS but I tried this (my method) at a middle school. No I did'nt say "hay look my shoes" I just waited for someone to look down at my untied shoe and then I asked them who taught them to tie their shoes and from there, how they were taught. I then told them that I was taught by a very strange teacher who taught me a very different way. Everybody who watched was shocked and in awe and of course they wanted me to do it again. Its a good trick and yes I will buy it.

Lassiter
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
The shoelace fooled me so badly I had to order it & very happy I did .
tops
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Yeh the coloring book post has me in stiches this is to funny !!! Imagine the guy looking for colored pictures to appear . It just ain't gonna happen FUNNY !
tops
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Coloring book. Never thought of it that way Doug:)

TOPS: Don't wear Army boots with this, LOL
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Gee talk about lifting info from Henning Nelms, Magic and Showmanship. It is a shame the lecturer did not give credit where credit is due. Although in Mr. Nelms book it is not a cheese burger but a sandwhich.

Quote:
On 2006-05-12 22:45, Magicpitch wrote:
The power you're seeing with it is due to the circumstances. No one's asking to see any "magic". At a lecture some years back, the lecturer compared two events-

Effect- You will produce a cheeseburger, real, hot, and with all the fixin's.

First situation : You're walking along with friends and you stop them and produce a cheeseburger. -Reaction- WOW, where did that come from?

Second situation : You're walking along with friends and one of them says "I sure am hungry" at which time you produce a cheeseburger. Imagine the reaction then.

Same trick, two different situations and two VERY different reactions. It sounds like this effect lends itself very well to almost always setting up the second situation, which makes for some very powerful reactions.

Interesting...
Steve
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 04:30, Candini wrote:
Coloring book. Never thought of it that way Doug:)

TOPS: Don't wear Army boots with this, LOL

Army boots or hockey skates Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 09:55, mghia wrote:
Gee talk about lifting info from Henning Nelms, Magic and Showmanship. It is a shame the lecturer did not give credit where credit is due. Although in Mr. Nelms book it is not a cheese burger but a sandwhich.

He very well could have given the credit, I don't recall as it was a few years ago. He did say Cheeseburger though, I do remember that because I was hungry when he said it Smile

By the way, will this work with flip flops?
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Quote:
On 2006-05-12 17:40, Doug Higley wrote:
If this hadn't been on the DB special it would have been listed under Kids Tricks.

You do all realize that the people who are amazed and entertained by the Shoelace would be fried by the Magic Coloring Book. Take your Coloring Book to the Mall...you'll see...in fact take your little plastic Ball 'n Vase to the Mall...it's ALL you...doesn't matter a hoot what the trick is.

The Magic Coloring Book may be too strong an effect to illustrate the point though. It is one of the best effects EVER. If you've only tried it on kids you are in for a surprise.

I am not too sure if I should take this comment as sarcasm or agreement. I will wait until it is further clarified before I begin to take a defensive stand.......... JPV
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd suggest you perform this effect in a place where it isn't too quiet. This effect is a killer with the right timing and at the right place!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
By the way, there may be a new version coming out. It's been discussed. It would have the work on the <original> version.

Keep your eyes on the horizon. No other news available except that it won't be until this summer.

Personally, I'm delaying any purchase, waiting for this version.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Thank you for your great review. I am looking seriously at obtaining this. It just sounds like so much fun. Let the "victim" initiate the trick. Would be interested in what Steve is referring to. Any one else hear of this?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
JPV...Coloring Book is one of my favorite tricks for ANY age...point was I guess if DB had done the CB on the special it would have gotten great reaction as well.
I really liked the Shoe Lace trick too! It woukld be a GREAT kids trick. If there is any editorial, it's aimed at the Mall crowd which seems is always good for shock and awe no matter what the trick is as long as the performer is on target. No need for defense!:-) Just a hint to grab a color book and do the mall! hahaha.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
DanielTyler
View Profile
New user
New York
95 Posts

Profile of DanielTyler
As it is summer time, this question seems appropriate... Can this illusion be performed in shorts?
- Daniel Tyler

www.tylermagic.com
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
No, you must wear long pants.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I don't know about any other or new version but I see nothing to improve about the current version. I guess the DVD could be edited a bit better but the actual effect is quite good and VERY simple to perform. Any effort to imrpove it will probably simply muck it up. How many times have we seen great effects made worse by "improved" versions. Look at Out of This World for a perfect example of that.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 17:57, DanielTyler wrote:
As it is summer time, this question seems appropriate... Can this illusion be performed in shorts?

You're kidding, right?
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Self Tying Shoelace (a really for REAL review) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL