The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Self Tying Shoelace (a really for REAL review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Actually I just wanted about 5, but since the minimum is 1,000, I caught a lucky break at only getting 100 Smile
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I think the real "value" or "impact" of this effect surpasses the method.

In Richard Osterlind's book, "Making Magic Real", he discusses that magic that should meets some practical need (albeit convenience). When magic is practical on some level, people can automatically attribute meaning.

... That evokes powerful responses. If you could do real magic you wouldn't have to tie your shoes. They would just be tied again!

Great thinking Jay

Sean
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
I LOVE this one!
recommended
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
This is one of those tricks that as soon as you open it and learn the gimmick, you start thinking of other ways to use it. I've had mine about a week and already have a few cool things I am working on. If you get 2 of the gimmicks, the possibilities are even greater. I wish I could say more, but don't want to give anything away.

Jeff
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
The reason I like this trick so much is because it is so natural and un magic trick like. I mean there are no cards, coins, odd props, stereo types or anything else. It uses something we all know, we all use every day. It takes such a mundane thing and elevates it into a special little bit of magic that can be done any time and any place. It just feels very different than almost any other trick out there.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I'll wait until summer.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 23:50, teevtee wrote:
Opinions yes, lectures no.

Ease off on the negativity my friend. Discussions are all about opinions. Your opinion is that you are delaying a purchase until summer, my opinion is that this is quite good so there is no need to wait.

This summer I will offer my opinion on the new version... no harm no foul.

I think your psost are great. Keep 'em coming!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
pablovaldes
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico
206 Posts

Profile of pablovaldes
Anyone knows why Ellusionist removed this DVD from their stock?
Wonderful things do happen
Magic is so relative, that we all think we know what it is
@pablovaldes
J. Rose
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of J. Rose
I asked them about it a while back...All they said was that they just removed it off they site but they still have some in stock if you want to order it.

I guess they're low in stock
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
This may have nothing at all to do with it but it is odd since the DVD and trick were produced by a regular member of the penguin magic gang... Ellusionist may (again, TOTAL speculation here) not want to directly support such a major competitor of thiers.

Just a random guess.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Or maybe they took it off because it's Luke Dancys, not, whoever released it.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Ellusionist I believe does stock it but they do not put it on their page anymore. You have to call in to order. This is most probably due to the fact that Penguin is a direct competitor.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-05-12 18:54, jimesw wrote:
Hi Doug

I sold a magic colouring book once. However I sent him a blank duplicate (without realising) of the book which you switch in. The guy who bought it was totally confused. He kept emailing me saying the book didn't work. I was confused how he couldn't get it to work - I mean there is nothing to it apart from flicking. He said he had flicked every possible way and eventually sent the book back to me. I realised the error and just imagined the poor guy flicking through the book trying to get a picture to appear.

Anyway, back to the review of the topic in hand ............

Ha ha ha!! That is so funny it kills!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2006-05-19 20:08, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
This is one of those tricks that as soon as you open it and learn the gimmick, you start thinking of other ways to use it.
Jeff

... zipper ... ?
tomcat
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of tomcat
Love it but it does not work well with warm ups at all. Its 90 something here every day so this is going to be a winter or evening trick for me. No way in heck am I wearing jeans during the day here.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Cute but not deceptive, imo. (I tend to believe laymen are more intelligent than we give them credit for).

That said, I could see it working well in some situations. I'd like to hear if any who are doing it regularly are getting busted, and how often.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I tent to agree with you bsears,

it did'nt fool me at first time I saw the effect. I wonder whats the reaction of spectator as you fiddle with your jeans right in front of them.

This does NOT mean that I only buy things that fools me but, this one I've got some mixed feelings.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I do this all the time and it takes a short bit to reset. I repeat it once or twice to the same people as well. Laymen will not catch you. They just won't because it's so amazing and is actually within the realm of reality. Stop thinking like magician's guys, you'll end up with a lot of magician fooler material that laymen seriously will not get and often give you a "uhm, that was neat."
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well. I'm not sure if I can answer the question really, but I will try.

it was asked " I'd like to hear if any who are doing it regularly are getting busted, and how often."

Well I am doing it regularly, very often in fact and I have yet to be even close to busted. The reactions have been very strong. You do not "mess with your jeans" or do anything that does not look totally natural and normal.

I guess if you performed it REALLY badly you might get caught, but what trick does that not apply to?

I'll be glad to report the first time I get busted but I doubt that day will be coming any time soon.
J. Rose
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of J. Rose
I'm still undecided if I should get this or not, It would be great for kids, but for Adults, ehh... After seeing some performances on youtube, it really doesn't look all to great. Anyone ever got caught?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Self Tying Shoelace (a really for REAL review) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL