The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Daniels-self opening book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Hi! Do you have any idea if this effect is available. Brett Daniels used it in his Marilyn Monroe effect. At the end of the illusion, the book closed by iteself. Thanks for your help!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Do you have a video of it?

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
No, sorry. I' ve just seen it. It's a book that closes by itself at the magician's command.
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
There are several ways that you that this effect can be accomplished. If you contact any builder they will be able to put that together for you. It is pretty easy to build depending on how much you want to invest in it.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
When I booked The Black Hart (Birmingham UK) to lecture on Bizarre magic about 5 years ago they had a large book that opened itself. The members were shook. It was simply done but very effective. Look for simplicity, not electronics.
Allen Tipton.UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Thanks Allen! Good idea.
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
Actually, I was quite puzzled by the Brett Daniels' book. The thing is - the book does not just simply close by itself... The illusion looks as follows: The book is seen on a little pedestal. Suddenly the pages of the book start flipping over one by one in a great speed, but it is very clear that they are flipping over separately and only when the last page has flipped over the book closes by itself. It really looks cool. The only idea that comes to my mind is the pages being sewn thru by a thread (the electric deck sewing, or as it is called in germany "Sprudel" sewing).
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Hi Magicque-

The effect you're speaking about was used on one of the WGM specials. Produced by Gary Oullet (sp).

I had several conversations with Gary over the years about the shooting and post production of the specials, as I am in that line of work. Gary spoke a couple of times about the "post sound" design on the shows. If you watch (and listen) you will be aware that many sound effects were added to the show to "punch up" the overall sound. It is common to do this sound effects sweetening and mixing to enhance the show.

So, how does this apply to a "magical book"?

If sound can be added to the show, it can also be taken away.

So a more practical solution for turning the pages would be--

A FAN

Then remove the sound of the fan in post and "bring up the music" and you have a very magical effect.

As for the closing of the back cover, that would fall under the field of "mechanical effects".

What Brett, Gary and the others of the production team did was simply use all the "tool and methods" at their disposal to create a very effective magic effect.

I am certain there are methods of performing this effect on stage. My suggestion would be to look towards "bizarre magic". This is the kind of effect that someone like Tony Andruzzi (aka Tom Palmer) would have been doing during his "bizarre" days.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck,

Michael
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Thanks Michael! Very nice of you! I'll certainly PM you. Bye!
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I second Alan Tipton. Great effect by Black Hart. I saw him lecture Manchester way and its a real class act. Not sure if he sells anything like this but his website is...

http://www.blackhart.co.uk/

He may be able to point you in the right direction.

Mark
Mark Daniel
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hi Allen,
I pm ed you, I need your help.
Thank you very much...

Cheers,
CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
mOzerian
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Global
230 Posts

Profile of mOzerian
I'm looking for an actual link or video reference that shows this Self closing book in Action. All the video I can find online, has this particular effect cut out or is not shown - Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21957 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the Girl in a Frame illusion with the book flipping pages.

Go go timestamp 49:32, and view until after the girl appears in the picture frame, then pay attention to the book on the pedestal, Stage Left.

Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Not exactly the same effect, but click here to see an interesting variation, built by a friend of mine who builds props for many Broadway shows.
Dr. O
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
222 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Very cool effect with the page slowly curling as the cover closes. Thanks for sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Daniels-self opening book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL