The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walking On The Ceiling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
I have been researching this illusion for a friend. It was advertised in a 1944/45 USA catalogue, Leffell Devices by Leffell the Magician.Several performed it in the 19th. Century.Aimee the Human Fly (Hopkins Magic.) She used rubber suction pads. The mind boggles. There was a Japanese performer. I have a video coming from professional magic friends of a juggler/magician who walks the pros arch, upside down. The mind boggles. It is performed nightly in the London musical, Mary Poppins, by the chimney sweep hereo who walks up and across the pros arch, upside down.
Do any of you guys know of past performers who did it? And their methods (must have used magnets at least)unless therer was a track built into the pros arch. This is for research & study only, NOT to build it.
Allen Tipton UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi Allen,

There were a few patents filed about the effect. One was a Great Britan patent filed in 1912 by John Barry Fitzpatrick from New York. This created an effect very similar to the scene in the movie 2001 when the flight attendant serves lunch to the pilots. The person walks 360 degrees around the interior of a tube.

Another goes clear back to 1885 by C.H. Newman. This is an electro-magnetic device in the ceiling that holds the performer up by his shoes.

Finally in 1905, V Waid filed a suction cup device. This may be the one described in Modern Magic. I'll have to check.

I think there is one more modern patent for this effect, but I am still in the process of cataloguing my research for a book Chris Wasshuber will be adding to his Lybrary site, so I can't find it easily. Hopefully, I'll have the project done very soon and can let you know more.

I'll send you a PM with a bit more info.

Thanks,
Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walking On The Ceiling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL