The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Modern coin magic dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Has anyone else seen this...http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/hot1.html...
modern coin magic dvd?

dug
Deckless Wonder
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Interesting. I heard not a word about this, but I note it says "Magic Makers" at the top.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Quote:
...but I note it says "Magic Makers" at the top...

I don't know what make of that... What do you mean?
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1277 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Interesting. It's definitely based on the Bobo work judging by the contents [and I admit I like the music in a perverse "huh" kind of way]...

Personally, I would hope a project of this nature would be produced by the best in the business - we'll see!
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
279 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
Probably like some of their other dvd's, filmed overnight and in the store shelves the next day...
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The "headless magician" whoever he is, (his name is not mentioned anywhere in the advertising) can at least execute Downs' "Ellusive Vanish", which is really odd looking, and something one bothers to learn either after learning everything else, or by accident at the outset, when one doesn't know any better.

Can't say for sure which path was taken by this particular magician.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are finger rings "in"?

I got the feeling a hand in a ruffled sleeve, wearing rings and sleeves was never convincingly empty... but maybe fashion has changed.

Great for beginners and perhaps as a reference work. Glad it got done.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1277 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
What does it take to secure the rights to produce somehting like this? It seems the book itself has a number of publishers - perhaps the copyright has expired?

If that's the case, it has been available for the top quality coin workers to produce also. It's a pity no has taken up the challenge...

That said, I haven't see this DVD, and it may well be superb. Anyone considering buying/posting review?
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1277 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Good points Mr. T. However, imagine a project of this nature recorded by the top talents around for each chapter... double the price and I'd still be a taker.

What I wonder is, why hasn't it been done?...
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4763 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
We are working on it... Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Further reading indicates the magician is a member here, Ben Salinas, who is a professional magician and a talented one, as advertised. I suspect he'll be a good teacher. It's reassuring that they hired someone who should know the material.

Watch the Skies....
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Interesting...I remember suggesting this exact sort of thing here once...Do you remember that JT? I always thought it was a good idea, I see you do too now. Smile At the time, the idea led to the making of website with clips of moves, The Bobo Community Project. Nice ongoing effort. But I specifically suggested this very idea and it was shot to pieces pretty much, though there were some here that thought it had merit - Guess it did Smile...I still thought it was good idea, and like you now JT, I'm glad it got done however it got done. Furthermore, also pretty interesting, as per Curtis here, that the magi Ben Salinas is a member on the Café here....Hmmmmmmm...perhaps someone was listening, thinking, and doing. Good shoot! I feel real good about this. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Marion, my opinion stands.
As a adjunct to the book, it will help some.
Unless the material is shown by exceptional people
such a video may serve to limit more than inspire.

I hope this video helps along the next generation.
And they get the basics down before they rush off to the newer stuff.

Tempted to pick up the set to see how well the guy does with the routines in the back of the book and the Milt Kort stuff in particular.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
JT, I found the original discussion/debate here on this very topic...Pretty interesting, and perhaps part of the history in someway on how all this got done. Smile Here it is, all the pros and cons on the matter, from the neophytes to the experts...Smile Glad reality had a place for this project to become, in this our here & now. Smile I'm honored that you're thinking of actually picking it up...That's something, considering. Smile Hey, in this early part of this string here now about this, I can remember both you and Curtis Kam in the original discussion back then when I first humbly suggested it and defended it. Smile

*Here's my original post and the original thread from over a year ago on this... From idea to reality...Now that's magic! Smile Enjoy and again...Boy, do I feel good about this. Smile -MB

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just wondering about the "headless magician." I'm not a coin guy at all, but I would think that an important part of learning coin magic properly, is about attention and misdirection. Wouldn't we want to know where the magician's eyes and body should be focusing at crucial points? Especially if one is a beginner?

Just asking.

Jack Shalom
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
222 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
Hmm... I was at a local magic shop on Wednesday and he had just gotten this in while iw as there. He had told me it was $160.00. I guess maybe he read his invoice wrong as that seems a bit high. For $60 it might be worth it as a visual guide to go along with the Modern coin magic book. As Jonathon mentioned I would love to see how they handle Milt Korts stuff. Will need to stop by there again next week to see if he has it marked regularly and might need to pick it up and get the scoop. I am only a hobbyist but love coin stuff. I do not see a video demo listed at the URL listed..where did you all see a demo? Thanks =)

Chris Johnson
Waterford, MI
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
Is this the DVD that is being discussed? It is already on Ebay.

There are several listings.

QH.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2006-05-12 16:33, Steve Brooks wrote:
We are working on it... Smile

A comprehensive instructive dvd on New Modern Coin Magic performed by the masters would be a dream come true. Any details Steve? Or are you just teasing us?
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4763 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Just teasing...for now... Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Modern coin magic dvd (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL