The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Modern coin magic dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights already teaches you all of the sleights that you need. The Roth series teaches you all the tricks you will ever need. The many DVD's by today's well known coin workers like Kam, McClintock, Gallo, Ammar, Dill, Hoosier, etc, give you many nice original routines. Not having seen them, its hard to pass judgement, but I can't imagine this set bringing anything new and helpful to the table.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
With all due respect, Doc..."I can." Mostly in that the younger generations aren't going to reach for the "hard stuff" first, even if the hard stuff (top guys) are explaining the fundamentals on their dvds - as all you guys do. I think they would reach for Bobo's first, as most here did...In the beginning as a cheap-enough book and now as an accompanying dvd at a very good price. Of course folks will branch out into all the more creative tributaries you mention, but they will more than likely float along this sort of river first, just as they did with the cheap-enough book. Also, I think it is the dvd itself that is "new and helpful." Not necessarily that anything on it hasn't been seen before. Perhaps it is better for the people who find it helpful to speak of whether or not it is helpful to them, as opposed to those that believe it totally unneccessary. Would be nice for an honest review of the new dvd to be given here. I fear that it will be over-critiqued by the intellentsia though, but isn't that the way it always is. Smile I believe that this dvd will sell greatly, the perfect accompaniment to the great book as that is most specifically from whence it came.

A little story....Smile

On the other side of town here, there are the big houses...they typically have central heating and air. On our side, there are more window/wall air conditioners, but there is also quite a few fans. I oftened wondered what the heck would a fan do in the face of such heat during the summers? Well, the newer fans came out that made fanning better. I still thought, a fan is a fan. But the people that got the new versions of the old fans found them to be most enjoyable and were quite happy that someone thought to keep improving on the old idea. Of course the folks with the air conditioners in the big houses and the smaller ones too, still couldn't imgaine how these new versions of the old fans was bringing anything new and helpful to the table. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hey back, MB! Of course, the DVD's will need to be looked at in order to give them an honest critique. That being said, we know what is in the book, and unless the performer on the series made an effort to cull out the non usable material and keep the good material AND PRESENT IT WELL, I would be dubious about the content. I am a big fan of the book, because a book allows you to read, choose, and adapt to your own style. I fear this will not be the case in such an effort. My opinion as stated earler still stands, but I will be open to changing my opinion after getting a look at the product.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I did say, "with all due respect." Smile Didn't mean to come off as over-bearing. I apologize Doc, if I did. Smile

Would be nice for an honest review of the new dvd to be given here. Anyway, I believe that this dvd will sell greatly, the perfect accompaniment to the great book as that is most specifically from whence it came. It's already on my X-mas list as a package gift to my nephew, the book and the dvd. And I can see at some point where sellers will offer the book with the set at the same or reduced price, and that will make it even more the bargain. I can see this eventually going for $40-50 bucks for the package, dvd (4 disk set) and paperback book. To me, that's a better bargain than a lot of this other stuff out here, a lot of it. And I think especially the beginners will see it that way too (and the beginners will always keep coming) Smile But we'll see. I'm already batting a .1000 in all this and I think I'll push all my chips back out onto the table toward what I believe will be even greater success. Just my view, but I been seeing pretty good lately. Smile

Again Doc, I apologize if I came off a bit too strong. Shake? Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mike says his encycelopedia of coins slights dvds teach all there is to know about coin slights.. I have always recommended Mikes dvds to anyone who was interensted in coin magic that his dvds are a must.
however Mike does not teach thre CRIMP.. this technique will be tought by me in my up comming lecture notes..
this slight can be used as a hold out and retention vanish (with a burn ) a transpoosition , click pass using 5 or six silver dollars, drop vanish, toss vanish with or without a burn.,penetration effects finger tip vanishes and a grip to get into most other slights and much more....
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-05-13 12:55, vinsmagic wrote:
this technique will be tought by me in my up comming lecture notes..

Godfather,
If this means that you're preparing for a lecture tour I certainly hope you have Seattle on your list of stops.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
How much will the notes cost, and will there be any other material on?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, I got a chance to see the new "Modern Coin Magic" dvd set and I gotta say that it's pretty good. It's quite comprehensive, easy to navigate, stays pretty true to its namesake in Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic book, and it is pretty well produced. The coin magi is Ben Salinas, a working pro that's really good and quite articulate. The video is not just his hands as in the clip in the link below, but Ben is seen speaking and giving introduction to all of the sleights and effects. His explanations of the moves are concise/straightforward and everything can be seen right up close, every move in great detail and angle. Nice!

I think this is a good package, at about $60 bucks for a 4-dvd set that's jammed packed with info sorta like the book, it's a great bargain. And I think the perfect accompaniment video instruction dvd set to the famous book. Don't get me wrong, there are several good vids out there that refer to a lot of what Bobo's teaches, but if you're looking for something new, something more of a "matching set," well then I think this new dvd set is a perfect compliment.

If you've ever said to yourself while reading Bobo's, "I wish I could see what he's talking about here," then this is the dvd set for you. Smile I expect that this new offering will be very popular, especially with people that are new to coin magic or returning to it. Everyone always says to get yourself the Bobo's book first, and I'd say get this new dvd second, or better yet, get it at the same time as a complete coin magic package, a "2-piece suit," if you will. Smile

The link below tells you all about the new dvds and even shows you a little clip of it. Again, it's a great companion for the book, and or can stand effectively alone on its own as a classic course in coin magic. I recommend it to all the entire new coin generations to come, as well as to anyone interested in coin magic in any way. Like all the many others out there, this new work deserves to be in your coin magic library. It's a great video reference, nice, new, true, very well done with a really good instructor in Ben Salinas. And though already great, it makes Bobo's better.

I was always a little stand-offish about giving my nephew the Bobo's book by itself, especially after the many time it confused me Smile. But now with this new video version of this great work, I'll be giving him a nice package to start him on his way for X-mas. Smile It's a fantastic journey now where the road has been paved quite a bit smoother with this the "latest" addition to what Mr. Bobo so graciously put together many years ago, to help us along our way always. Give the new "Modern Coin Magic" dvd set a try, I think you'll like it. Smile -MB

http://magicmakersinc.com/moderncoinmagic.html

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Modern coin magic dvd (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL