The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Into DVD to coin magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gink103
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of gink103
I was looking at some coin DVD's at stevensmagic.com. Could someone tell me what two I should get for starting out with coins? I am planning on also ordering Bobo's as well.

Thanks.
Aguas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Aguas
Can't open the link you pointed. Says an error has occured.
Here's my tip anyway ( dunno if it's avaiable to purchase at your shop ): The first Coin Video I saw was Ammar's Coin Magic, and when I first saw it, I knew NOTHING about coin magic no palms, no switches, no passes, nothing... but that video tape taught me a lot.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey gink, You're perfect for this...Smile

There are a lot of good beginner coin magic dvds out there, but I'll mention here (since you mentioned Bobo's) that perhaps it might be good for you to give the very new "Modern Coin Magic" dvd a try...It is designed and patterned directly to be the companion dvd to the book. Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic Book can teach you most of everything from the beginning. And this new dvd might be all you need with the book to be well on your way, with practice that is. Smile Give it a whirl, you'll be one of the first to endeavor with the book and the new dvd (actually a 4-dvd set - a nice value) as a coin magic learning package. Wish I had this when I was learning from Bobo's. Smile Hope you give it a try and let us know how you like it. I suspect that this new dvd offering will be a very popular expansion on all that's so wonderful about Bobo's. Anyway, welcome to coin magic, good luck and enjoy. Smile -MB

*Here's a link to the new dvd and short vid of it, just available off the shelf...Looks good. Smile http://magicmakersinc.com/moderncoinmagic.html

...and you can buy it at the Magic Warehouse:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/hot1.html
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Here is my advice, read THIS, and pick something.

What Marion advised above might be a good choice too, but can't recommend them yet because I have not seen them, so I cannot offer an informative opinion beyond a wild guess.

Did you watch the DVDs yet Marion?
Click to visit:
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
I second Dan on that (you'll read until your eyes get dry). But if you'd like a quick and easy answer, witch in my opinion, you can't go wrong with: David Roths Expert Coin Magic Made easy vol 1-3. Go buy, go watch, go practice and don't come back until you're ready. Smile

Jim
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
David Stone's videos, a much more interesting style, I think at least to Roth, and simply teaches better effects than Ammar.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17159 Posts

Profile of joseph
I also vote for Roth....Get one, and you will want more..... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
No Dan, I haven't seen them as of yet but the clip looked pretty good. I've seen here where people have pretty much condemned it without seeing the new dvd, so I thought I might support it without seeing it - seems fair...sorta seeing the glass as half full over seeing it as half empty, choosing optimism over pessimism or something even worse. I will be taking a look at the new Modern Coin Magic dvd for sure, as I have a particular interest in this offering. Smile I recommended it to gink for the reasons I stated, and I think it's probably a good choice. As I also stated, there are many choices out there for sure, a lot of good stuff...but if I had the now chance to get the pants to match my jacket, I think I'd try it in establishing a suit. Just my view on it. Your list is a good one to be sure of the oft-travelled roads, but here's a new one that's connected right to the source. If many of these guys go into this new dvd offering with biases against, then I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with many of the same biases...It could be because they don't like Magic Makers (which many have said), it could be because they think someone else is better, it could be because they don't like one move or how it's done, it could be because they think they are better, it could be because of this or that...Easy to find reasons "why not" when you really don't want to. Smile I suspect the dvd is pretty good, as the demos are done by a pro and a good one at that. No, he is not Roth, Rubenstein, Ammar, etc., but truly, does he have to be? I don't think so. Just my view and I still recommend the new dvd as a great companion to the great book. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Well I am not one who will blindly condemn any DVD set without seeing it, nor endorse it without seeing it. I think a recommendation for or against the DVD set is utterly worthless (and is pure speculation) unless the person making the recommendation has actually seen it.
Click to visit:
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, I would go along with that as long as you go both ways with it, as you did. I don't mind you calling us "all" blind (for we are in this case - me, Rubenstein, JT, Justin Miller, etc, just on different sides of the matter) Smile But "utterly worthless" is so harsh, and to be honest "speculation" does have its place..Smile

That being said, there are loads of things that I didn't see, that when I did see them, they were pretty good...That also went the other way at times. I didn't see Broke Back Mountain, but when someone asked me for a good/provocative movie to see, I recommended it, without seeing it...I just saw clips. From that, I thought it was pretty good. The person that saw it on my advice, said it was wonderful...pretty much so did the world. Go figure. Smile PS - I have seen Broke Back Mountain now, and it was as I speculated - pretty good, actually it was better than that - it was excellent! Smile

Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I did not mean to come across harsh, just very opinionated Smile
Click to visit:
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
No problem, Dan my man...Smile I'm pretty opinionated myself. Smile

mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 09:39, Dan Watkins wrote:
Well I am not one who will blindly condemn any DVD set without seeing it, nor endorse it without seeing it. I think a recommendation for or against the DVD set is utterly worthless (and is pure speculation) unless the person making the recommendation has actually seen it.

Well said...I couldn't agree more! I don't think you came off harsh nor opinionated...just dead on. Most times you see a clip...you are seeing the best the movie or dvd has to offer!

Mike
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Beginning coin enthusiasts are so fortunate to have a plethora of wonderful books, videos, and DVDs to choose from. There are several excellent threads here that describe them well and can help guide your selections. David Roth, in my opinion, made a tremendous gift to coin magic when he so thoroughly explained fundamentals in his Expert Coin Magic Made Easy 3-DVD set! I think it would be a shame to not include them in any beginners work. The DVDs reminds me of that other NY'er, Nobel Laureate, Richard Feynman’s 'Lectures on Physics' books in which he went back to help, not just the cream of doctoral students competing to work with him, but the whole sea of beginners in his field for now and into the future.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hearing this new dvd is having incredible sales out there. I thought that it would. Dan, have you received a copy yet to review on your CoinVanish website? -MB

Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
No one has contacted me to submit it for review.
Click to visit:
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Posted this in another string, but thought it was appropriate here too.

A brief review of the new "Modern Coin Magic" dvd set:

Well, I got a chance to see the new "Modern Coin Magic" dvd set and I gotta say that it's pretty good. It's quite comprehensive, easy to navigate, stays pretty true to its namesake in Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic book, and it is pretty well produced. The coin magi is Ben Salinas, a working pro that's really good and quite articulate. The video is not just his hands as in the clip in the link below, but Ben is seen speaking and giving introduction to all of the sleights and effects. His explanations of the moves are concise/straightforward and everything can be seen right up close, every move in great detail and angle. Nice!

I think this is a good package, at about $60 bucks for a 4-dvd set that's jammed packed with info sorta like the book, it's a great bargain. And I think the perfect accompaniment video instruction dvd set to the famous book. Don't get me wrong, there are several good vids out there that refer to a lot of what Bobo's teaches, but if you're looking for something new, something more of a "matching set," well then I think this new dvd set is a perfect compliment.

If you've ever said to yourself while reading Bobo's, "I wish I could see what he's talking about here," then this is the dvd set for you. I expect that this new offering will be very popular, especially with people that are new to coin magic or returning to it. Everyone always says to get yourself the Bobo's book first, and I'd say get this new dvd second, or better yet, get it at the same time as a complete coin magic package, a "2-piece suit," if you will.

The link below tells you all about the new dvds and even shows you a little clip of it. Again, it's a great companion for the book, and or can stand effectively alone on its own as a classic course in coin magic. I recommend it to all the entire new coin generations to come, as well as to anyone interested in coin magic in any way. Like all the many others out there, this new work deserves to be in your coin magic library. It's a great video reference, nice, new, true, very well done with a really good instructor in Ben Salinas. And though already great, it makes Bobo's better.

I was always a little stand-offish about giving my nephew the Bobo's book by itself, especially after the many times it confused me. But now with this new video version of this great work, I'll be giving him a nice package to start him on his way for X-mas. It's a fantastic journey now where the road has been paved quite a bit smoother with this the "latest" addition to what Mr. Bobo so graciously put together many years ago, to help us along our way always. Give the new "Modern Coin Magic" dvd set a try, I think you'll like it. -MB

http://magicmakersinc.com/moderncoinmagic.html

IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
567 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
You might find this link in the reviews section interesting:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

Take care, Ian
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
Before anyone accuses Ian of blowing his own trumpet, I will confirm that his CD is an excellent buy. An even better buy is to subscribe to his "Virtual Sessions" web site:
http://virtualmagicshow.com/vsession/index.php
It covers all the Basic Coin CD, plus his CD on cards, plus other stuff (which is emerging gradually).
Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Into DVD to coin magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL