The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Miser's Dream » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
I truly appreciste the clear and understandable writing in The Book Of Secrets, and every trick is well thought out and the theory is surperb. The chapter on the Miser's dream has inspired me to work on my own version. Unfortunatly, I seem to have a problem with securing the extra stack of coins from my pocket to replenish the left hand's stack.. They seem to become jumbled and disorganized during the performance, and they are in a bad position to palm out under the excuse of putting something away. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep them in a neat pile that can be quickly be palmed? I would also appreciate any other tips on this great classic.
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Perhaps its just that pair of pants!

Seriously, some pockets are shaped like a sack and some are shaped like a funnel. The funnel shape tends to keep them together at the bottom. Very little adjustment is needed when getting them into finger palm.

The legendary Paul Fox had his pants pocket custom sewn so that the rear pocket was larger than normal, to accommodate the loads for the cups and balls. This may seem like a small thing, but not if you are a pro and you do it every night. A smaller pocket might create a second or two hesitation when it should only look as though you have put a small ball away. That hesitation is a problem that needs to be solved. If you have a suit that you always wear when you perform, why not? You might have a topit sewn in it.

So try it with another pairs of pants, and if it is still a problem, have a custom pocket made, or put some sort of clip gimmick in the pocket to hold the coins.....or buy new pants!

Personally, a clip is just another thing to worry about, and with practice, I have found that overall, it is not necessary.

Not only are you putting something away, but you might be walking across the stage or down into the audience, turning to your side as you address someone in the front row. Don't just do the move with your hand, let the whole natural movement of your body cover it.

best of luck,
Carney
The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
Thank you for the thoughtful advice. I will try to get my pocket modified sometime soon.
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 11:42, The Person With A Username wrote:
Thank you for the thoughtful advice. I will try to get my pocket modified sometime soon.

It occurred to me that you might have a false funnel shaped pocket as Carney suggests made to pin in your pocket when you perform.

Dwight Powell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Miser's Dream » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL