The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Conference on Magic History » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Could you share some of your experiences being part of the Conference on Magic History?
Thanks
Andrew
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
On one of your early Stevens Greater Magic Library video tapes you said (I'm not quoting exactly ) The study of the history or past magicians of our art is as enjoyable as the study of the effect..well something like that... What are good sources for the history of magic and who do you suggest to study.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
The LA Conference on Magic History has been some of the most enlightening events in my life. Before my first one, I appreciated history, only so far as I could find "moves" in old books. I didn't much care for apparatus magic or illusions. As it turned out, I just don't care for ordinary apparatus and illusions.

One by one, different things were presented to me, things I was totally unfamiliar with. I learned what is special about the Keller Levitation. I saw an incredible effect called the Million Dollar Illusion. I saw the holy grail of card magic, Hooker's Rising Cards, and it matched and exceeded my expectations. I saw the Blue Room Illusion, with people and things appearing, disappearing and changing, live on stage, but it looked like trick photography! I got to see the amazing, "trickiest trick there ever was", The Mascot Moth....amazing!

Sometimes you need to be reminded, YOU DON'T KNOW IT ALL. When you start to get bored with magic, dig deeper, or check out something you wouldn't normally read or see. It could start you in a new direction.

The History Conference also afforded me the opportunity to take part in a few small "magic plays". Working with Jim Steinmeyer was a revelation. Previous to these, I had never actually written a "script". But here, Jim had the lines written out, along with the action written between. Writing it out this way allows you to move things around on paper, looking for the spots that need cover, motivation, or special attention. Now I try to write out all my stuff this way. This way, it is mostly worked out by the time I pick up the props for the first time.

The plays allowed me to act, integrating magic with the characters and stories.

In all they have been wonderfully educational and fun! They manage to rekindle my love of magic like no other convention. This is directly the influence of the organizers, Steinmeyer, Caveney and Gaughn. My buddies and heroes. Its like taking a course in magic where they choose the curriculum, as well as teach!

carney
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Oh....on the subject of reading about history.......

My favorites in this genre are Carter the Great, The Memoirs of Robert-Houdin, The Life and Times of Augustus Rapp, and David Bamberg’s Illusion Show. Milbourne Christopher’s Illustrated History of Magic and David Price’s Magic offer hundreds of fascinating profiles and insightful perspective on magic’s development.

There are many others, it just depends on what you are interested in.

best,
carney
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Wow That's great !!
Thanks John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Conference on Magic History » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL