The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle Pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSHEDDY
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSHEDDY
Hi, I'm having much trouble with the Muscle Pass. Can anyone give some tips or personal advice on how to perform this sleight. Is this a sleight that you can perfect with practice or is it that some people can do it and some can't no matter how much they practice?

Thank-you all for your help and time,

Justin
"Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
- Dai Vernon
merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
hello,

I'll give you my personal experience... I think anybody could do the pass, but some people will need more practice! First of all, get the right coin. It should not be a small size coin, a half dollar is fine. A edge grip can make the pass easier.
Now, I gues you've got a description of what to do, so do it, again and again, for hours, (my hands were blues!!) days after days if necessary (I guess one week end would be enough). Then stop for a while, to let your hand recover (with pain, it's hard to make the coin to jump)
When you'll start again, you'll have a nice surprise!!! hopefully at least...
JSHEDDY
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSHEDDY
Thanks alot Merlin for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
Justin
"Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
- Dai Vernon
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Check out Dan's site @ http://www.coinvanish.com in the foundations section. You'll have to pass a simple test to get in, but if you have Bobo's, it won't be a problem.
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Dan's site is a great foundation, and I think it will come with practice. I am still practicing mine, as the coin will only fly sideways out of my hand. But I have developed a great coins across/ 3 fly type of routine with it because I can invisible muscle pass the coin pretty well. I am still trying to work on the whole vertical thing...
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I'm at the same point as Ben721. I can only do a good horizontal muscle pass but not vertical. (Although, I didn't know it could be done invisibly)

Just keep working on it Justin. When I first started all I could do was get it to turn over. Then one day it jumped, not far, but it did jump. And it's slowly getting better . Right now, I can muscle pass about a foot horizontally, but only a few inches vertically. I've been working on it for around 3 or 4 weeks now.

Keep practicing and try different size coins to see what fits your hand best.

Good luck!
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
The best tip I saw was to move the coin further left towards the edge of the hand between your right index and thumb. This is a different position to what Dan uses and shows on his website.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2819 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Here is what worked for me. I first did it with a pop bottle lid from a 20 oz pop. And then I did it with a poker chip. Now I can do it with a silver dollar or a fifty cent piece.

Nathan Pain
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
Get the chinese coins from magicsmith that Curtis Kam uses in Palms of Steel 2 and you will double the height of your muscle pass. These things are so light they absolutley fly! I can get about two feet without the right hand assist, probably three with. they're a little tricky to catch cause they're so light.
CoinFreak
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of CoinFreak
Or get some norm nealson palming coins.thin poker chips, now THOSE go far. They give you a pap...coin cut on your palms though.
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Here's a repost from one of my previous posts:
begin quote

I have a quick suggestion. When I first started doing the muscle pass, my right hand could do it, but not my left. The key came when I was trying to teach it to my other magician friends, and here's what I noticed, if they held it in classic palm, and I
pushed their hand from the side (imitating the "squirting" motion), it would work! I didn't apply that much force either! After a while, it dawned on me what the problem was. Its a snapping motion, a quick close and open, not a prolonged high pressure
sqeeze till it pops, kind of thing(the coin gets trapped!). As soon as I realized that, my left hand began to do the MP too (albiet not as well). I can get up to 18" on a very good day on my right hand, and about 6"-7" on my left.

Hope that helps someone!

end quote

BTW this might help those people who have problems with it going sideways, the heel of your thumb could be deflecting it as it goes up.. thus it goes sideways Smile

Hmm, just tried it, it seems to go sideways for me if I don't snap it... gotta practice it Smile thanks for the tip, Ben!
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1841 Posts

Profile of Lior
I havnet done it for 5 years
I have to start all over again
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
know the basics then. practice practice and guess what..... practice
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Muscle pass:
Make sure the coin is not in the classic palm! The coin needs to high on the palm. When you squeeze your thumb inward the coin should be almost 90 deg to the base of your thumb. (With no coin in your hand squeeze your thumb in ((like you are going to classic palm)) look at the skin as it get like of a "roll" of fat like a love handle just at the thumb base joint. The very top of "roll should be just slightly higher than the coin. The extra skin is what holds the coin in it's in place. As you push the thumb down towards the palm the coin will be squeezed between the outer palm and the "roll" thus causing it to snap up from the pressure of being pushed/trapped under the "roll". Your thumb will be over the first and second finger when you begin to push down) this is the problem I was having I placed to coin to far into the palm. I watched Johnny Ace Palmer and where he placed his coin. It was very high on the palm. Closer to the thumb rather than in the palm. The edge of the coin is in the place where the center of the flat classic palm normally would be. Look for the center of your palm; place the outer coin edge (the rest of the coin is closer to the thumb) to the center and the rest of the coin towards your thumb. Hold the coin with your other hand's pointer finger. Move your thumb in towards the palm like above, catching the coin with the roll of skin. You need to squeeze hard (inward) to get a lot of pressure. This is what gets the height of the jump. Once the coin is under pressure then squeeze down with your thumb. When I say press Thumb Down I mean the whole THUMB, not just the tip of your thumb but from the base to the tip (the whole finger if you will) The middle joint does not bend. This is why I said the coin is almost at 90 deg. (maybe a 45 deg) to your base palm before you press down. After doing this for I would say three times the coin will jump over. Then it's was just a matter on getting it to go higher by getting the muscle stronger. I tried this when I saw Michael Ammar on his coin tapes, I could not do it!! I gave up then saw the Ace Palmer tapes and like I said it worked. HE does not tell you how it's done, I just noticed it .So I think it all in how you place the coin to start with. After you figure out where your spot is (after doing the above explained) you start with your palm flat and as you move your thumb in the roll and your set catch the coin. Hope this helps!!!! But like I said, place the into your position and get it locked in. After awhile you can move the coin into position with your middle finger from the same hand with the coin in classic palm without having to place it there via your other hand first finger.
hope this helps FD
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
JSHEDDY
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSHEDDY
Thank you guys for all the information it has greatly helped me. Now all I need to do is, " practice practice and guess what..... practice."

Thanks again,
Justin
- Dai Vernon
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Let me know if My post helped you..
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4844 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
To do the muscle pass first don't place the coin in the center of the palm. The position may vary depening on your individual anatomy but for me the coin is very close to the crotch of the thumb. Use a half dollar or poker chip of that size. You must tighten your hand so that the coin is wedged between the inside flesh of the thumb and the fleshy base of the index finger. I find it helps to keep the fingers tight against one another. Squeeze the thumb base rapidly and the coin will scoot out. With practice and calluses on your thumb you can get it go move fast. I can shoot a Morgan silver dollar about 12 inches vertically and a half dollar higher than that. I can shoot a half sideways in an arc from hand to hand separated aboout 2 feet using the above method. Warning: Give the fingers a rest if the skin on the thumb or palm gets sore. Practicing when they hurt is counterproductive.
JSHEDDY
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSHEDDY
Hi Flourish Dude, your Muscle Pass Explanation is the best and most discriptive explanation of the muscle pass I'v seen. Thank-you very much for the information I have copyed it to Word and and will put it to good use.

Thanks again and have a happy holiday,
Justin
- Dai Vernon
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
but did it help you DO it?
www.magicalmemories.us
JSHEDDY
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSHEDDY
Yes, better than I was doing before. I'm getting the coin to flip over off my hand but it is not shooting up-ward its shooting more to the side.
- Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle Pass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL