The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » The Diagonal Palm Shift » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Hi John, thanks for being here this week. I have been working on this move via Erdnase's write-up and with Vernon's variant off of the Revelations DVD. It is still causing me some trouble and I was wondering if you might have some pointers?
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Krumb,
you said a mouthful.

I don't want to go into too much detail here, as I have covered a lot in my Book of Secrets and in my DVD On Palming.

I will briefly say that you want to minimize the action. Most of the time there is just too much going on from the spectator's point of view. If you inserted a card, you would do it, square, then let go of the deck with at least one hand or table the deck. Most magicians take about 5-10 seconds to do this simple action. Suspicious.

Vernon eliminated one problem by pulling the angled card back to the rear of the pack in the first stroke of squaring, where the side of his little finger could contact it and draw it from the pack in the second squaring action or in the action of putting the pack on the table. Also, the card is not palmed immediately as it comes from the pack, but rather is in a "suspended state" for a bit, then drawn into the hand by contracting. Do not open the bottom hand to recieve the card, rather, bend the card into the already curled lower hand.

The biggest problem besides specific technique is that the move happens at the wrong time. When everyone is looking to make sure their card is lost in the pack. I don't like doing any move without misdirection, no matter how "invisible" I imagine they might be. So, how to delay the palming action, or how to get attention off the pack after the card is initially inserted?

It would take several hours of typing to rehash what I prescribed in my book and DVD, so I think I will leave it there.

Identifying the problem is a big part of it...........then figure out how to fix it. If you think about it hard and long, you will. ......there is not one secret, but many.

best of luck,
Carney
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Thanks for the response...I have a feeling that it is going to take me a while to digest that whole post. Your dvd has been on my list for a while, and I do plan on ordering that from you in the not to distant future. Thanks again for sharing your time and knowledge with us.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » The Diagonal Palm Shift » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL