The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Copperfield's rose trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

robertk4you
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of robertk4you
Hi all.I would like to know,the name of this illusion,where David Copperfield created a rose from piece of paper,make it fly in the air,light it on fire,and turn it into real rose,and also I would like to know,where online I can buy this trick.thank you very much
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
It's called Floating Rose, and its from Kevin James. You can buy it from him VIA his website.
robertk4you
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of robertk4you
Thank you.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
How much practice in terms of range of hours, might it take to feel comfortable wth presenting this effect?

I have never worked with floating objects that use threads. How visible are the threads to the audience sitting up close near the stage?

How much work does it take to ensure proper lighting?

Do you need a special backdrop of any kind?

Might some theatres and hotel type venues prohibit the use the small amount of flash paper used in this particular effect?

How is the impact on the audience?

Can you hand out the rose, immediately,at the end of the routine?

Any negatives to this effect?

I look forward to your responses.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Kevin James Floating Rose is one of the best selling products of it type. Be aware that it DOES take some concentrated work to get perfected. The problem is that you will have to get to the point where you can handle the gimmick with ease and not look as if you are searching around in the air for it, etc. The feedback from customers who have used it is exceedingly positive. Best,
Brad Burt
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for the thoughtful comments Brad.

It would also be helpful to hear from any performers that are actually using (or have used) this effect in their show.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
I have perfomed this many times. It took me quite some time to really nail the performance of it. Yes you can hand out the rose immediately. I have never run into any problems with the flash paper anywhere. I do always make a point to inform venues that I will be working with fire. No special backdrop is needed although darker clothing is best.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
When you say quite some time, roughly how many hours of concentrated practice might it take to make it fluid and magical?

Please suggest a range, based on your experience.

5 -10 hours?

20-30 hours?

40Hrs+?

Many thanks.

When I look on Kevin James' web site and watch his demo of himself performing the effect on stage, the "moment" he grabs the rose from behind his coat seems so obvious.

Have a look at: http://www.kjmagic.com/catalog/videos/rose.html

Is the moment of production that obvious because it is (to the lay audience)? or just because we're magicians and know when the magic moment is coming?

Have your audiences come up to you after your shows and commented on this paritcular effect?

If so, what were the comments (ie. very favorable, disbelief, wonder, etc...).

Many thanks in advance MindPirate for your continued and insightful input.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
I Have performed the floating rose along with my friend Jack Stephens, you can see a picture of him performing the effect http://www.jack-stephens.com/seethemagic/pic13.htm he practiced daily at least three time the whole routine about 10 minutes long for about two and half months while we prepared for the show at camp MITIOG back in 2004. So we can feel comfortable handling the props… The IT is not visible from the stage, you need to use the correct lighting which is not hard to accomplish…. The person that you get to help you may see how it is floating but that's where good audience management comes handy… dark clothes will help hide the gimmick. You want to hand out the Rose right away that is why you are producing it! Here you can see my friend Jack with Kevin James the creator of the floating Rose Routine http://www.jack-stephens.com/seethemagic/pic20.htm If you have any questions feel free to pm or email me.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Ricahato:

Thanks for your informative reply and the link to some great pictures.

Might I suggest that below each of the pictures, you indicaate where each person is standing (ie. "lft to rt: Jack, Stepanie, etc..."). You get the idea. This will precvent any confusion of who is who.

All the best.

And congratualations on working the floatin rose into your show!

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Copperfield's rose trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL