The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help - best coin in bottle glass bottle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 10:28, Charlie Justice wrote:
I guess I did leave that part out Godfather...that makes 8. By the way, the name of my signed coin in sealed bottle routine is called The Coin Accomplice...and yes, all 7 conditions (now 8) mentioned earlier are met.

peace, charlie

Is this the one that you are including with preorders of Prohibition? If so I'm greatly looking forward to receiving it.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Nat
View Profile
Elite user
500 Posts

Profile of Nat
I just received Prohibition and it is everything as promised: no preparation, any borrowed bottle, everything can be examined before and after - truly amazing magic!
And the DVD is comprehensive and professionally produced on location.

Nate

Quote:
On 2006-12-21 15:27, fooksau wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 10:28, Charlie Justice wrote:
I guess I did leave that part out Godfather...that makes 8. By the way, the name of my signed coin in sealed bottle routine is called The Coin Accomplice...and yes, all 7 conditions (now 8) mentioned earlier are met.

peace, charlie

Is this the one that you are including with preorders of Prohibition? If so I'm greatly looking forward to receiving it.
Hawk-Eye
View Profile
Loyal user
G'day from Australia
203 Posts

Profile of Hawk-Eye
In my opinion, the best coin in glass bottle effect is simply the folding coin method. You can borrow the coin and the bottle (both can be inspected, obviously) then the spec holds the bottle horizontally while you slam the coin in. On top of that, it's trapped inside - you have to work your magic to melt it outta there. Smile

Nick
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:

On 2006-12-02 09:03, Charlie Justice wrote:

1. Fully examinable or borrowed bottle
2. Fully examinable or borrowed coin
3. Spectator signs coin
4. Bottle is sealed
5. Coin visually penetrates the bottle
6. The hand that penetrates coin into bottle is immediately shown 100% empty at the very instant the coin appears in the bottle
7. The sealed bottle with the signed coin inside is then immediately handed out for spectator to keep

DREAM ON Smile

The trick is to MAKE it look like above conditions.

Past few weeks I'm trying to contact few people to get "something" where I can come close to an effect with such conditions.

It can never meet all those conditions but the spectator will remember like that.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 20:25, Mehtas wrote:
Quote:

3. Spectator signs coin
4. Bottle is sealed
6. The hand that penetrates coin into bottle is immediately shown 100% empty at the very instant the coin appears in the bottle
7. The sealed bottle with the signed coin inside is then immediately handed out for spectator to keep

DREAM ON Smile

The trick is to MAKE it look like above conditions.

Past few weeks I'm trying to contact few people to get "something" where I can come close to an effect with such conditions.

It can never meet all those conditions but the spectator will remember like that.

Mehtas,

This signed coin in sealed bottle routine is called The Coin Accomplice and is exactly as described. It is not simply what the spectator thinks or remembers but exactly how it is written. Your preconceived assumptions have led you to believe that those conditions can never be met. I assure that they are met everytime I perform it. When you limit yourself to certain assumptions regarding those conditions then you'll never find the answer. It is those very assumptions that completes the illusion. In a sense, I suppose I just verbally performed the effect on you...and just like those who see it live, you can't figure it out either.

peace, charlie
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Well, Charlie "Coin Accomplice" sounds real, real good to me! Don't think you can get any better than that.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Charlie,

I think we misunderstood each other as I wasn't following the whole thread.

I wasn't talking about your effect. I don't even know about it.

I was thinking about coin being MUCH bigger than the mouth and neck of the bottle.

Now that sounds like a dream as I said before. doesn't it ?

Brian
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
I completely agree with you now Brian...lol. Good form buddy.

peace, charlie
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-01 22:56, Nighthawk wrote:
....If you as a magician/performer have the ability and creativity to not so much to create the illusion of the penetration [which requires little if any skill] but to create the illusion that the effect is spontaneous....you will have a truly enchanted piece of magic at your disposal...

So to elaborate on your "if", then the holy grail of all coin in bottle effects would include an impromptu set of conditions as follows:

3. Spectator signs coin
4. Bottle is sealed

Did I miss any conditions for the ultimate coin in bottle routine?

peace, charlie

This reminds me of those lists the sports magazines publish of the 100 greatest baseball players of all time. Everyone, I think, will have his or her own criteria for a classic effect like this one. I personally have to quibble with some of the items you list.
1. This one, I think, is a "given". I can't see any way around using an (apparently) borrowed bottle for this. I think this effect becomes pointless if it doesn't at least appear to be impromptu.
2. Fully examinable or borrowed coin? Hmm, well yea, I guess, but I don't use a borrowed coin because I like to use a half dollar for this, so I usually have 4 walking liberty silver halves in my pocket, which I also use for other effects. They are legitimate and fully examinable, so again, for the same reason given in (1.) above , I have to agree with this one.
3. I don't know , this seems an unneccesary point if you are working for a lay audience, although I'd find it compelling if you are working for magicians.
4. Again, I don't know what this adds, if you are using a coin that is clearly larger than the bottle opening. That's why I use a half dollar. Again, I guess if you work a lot for "the wise ones", it's a cool point, but I find lay people are knocked out by just seeing a half dollar pass visibly through the bottom of a beer bottle.
5. Yes, I have to agree with this one. No quibble here.
6. Yes, this one is also important, again no quibble.
7. This is very cool, and a strong point, but I don't know if it's a necessity. I think it could add something in advertising value, if the spectater is going to display it or show it around, but I'd hate to have to prepare a bottle for every time I wanted to perform this effect.

Anyway, my point is, different strokes for different folks. The reason this effect has become a classic is because the plot is inherently strong, it's visual, the coin jangling around inside the bottle appeals to both the eye and the ear, and in spite of how old it is and how much the method has been exposed, it's still pretty amazing to many, many people.

It's one of my favorite effects, and I use the "classic" method. (Believe it or not, I have had spectators take the empty beer bottle home as a souvenir!)

It doesn't meet all the criteria you list, but it is the right "fit" for me.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Of course the coin doesn't 'have' to be signed and the bottle doesn't 'have' to be sealed. But, you really don't think these points would be stronger for a lay audience? Both of these take away all other possibilities besides the coin really penetrating the glass. Signed coin especially since without it the first thought will always be somehow the coin was switched.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 16:46, fooksau wrote:
Of course the coin doesn't 'have' to be signed and the bottle doesn't 'have' to be sealed. But, you really don't think these points would be stronger for a lay audience? Both of these take away all other possibilities besides the coin really penetrating the glass. Signed coin especially since without it the first thought will always be somehow the coin was switched.

In the handling I use, which is the same one Johnny Thompson and David Roth teach, the SPECTATOR is holding the bottle, by the neck, and he "sees" the magician pass the coin VISIBLY through the BOTTOM of the bottle. He then IMMEDIATELY "sees" both of your hands empty. I don't believe lay audiences, seeing this presentation, are immediately suspicious of the coin. In fact, most are more suspicious of the bottle, and all the more mystified after the coin is removed from the bottle and they are allowed to examine both.
The signed coin and sealed bottle are of course stronger, but I think with lay audiences, they fall into the category of running when nobody is chasing you. I'm not denigrating the new techniques, as I said before, I'm just relating what my experience has been. My little pocket size hoositz, ready to use in a second, has always wowed 'em. On the other hand, I'm personally impressed by the thought that has gone into the newer methods, and think anyone that wants to use them should do so, I just like the ease and near-impromptu nature of the old way.
I honestly believe most lay audiences, a week after seeing the effect, will only remember that you put a coin into a bottle.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10791 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Johnnie Thompson has aexcellent routine
however you are usinga gimmicked coin........and the bottle has to be held very gingerly if you know what I mean ,cap trap eliminates this ........
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Hi Vinny,
I don't have a problem using the the gimmicked coin, I like the fact that it's easy to carry and ready to do at a moment's notice, although there are horror stories in the past, I did have to learn the hard way to keep a fresh band on the coin, and over time I have gotten comfortable at handling the loaded bottle, but it wasn't always so.
I know some guys have an aversion to using gimmicked coins at all, and I respect that.
I guess it comes down to the trade-offs you are willing to make, I like having only the coin to carry, and not having a lot of prep work beforehand, I also like being able to end very clean, and I think, at least with lay audiences, the classic method packs just as much of a wallop as ever.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10791 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hello Glen I have been doing the Thompson routne for years I agree with you.
and there is nothing wrong with carring a gimmicked coin because I do other effects with such a coin...
however you can not do ainstant repete specatators alwys want to saee it again
with caop trap you can....and you can alsom give the coin and bottle away as a gift....
One more thing there is nothing wrong with doing both effects this just another view point
vinny
Come check out my magic.

DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Vinny, absolutely, and I love seeing new ways of doing things, or a different angle on an old idea.
By the way, my name is Don, the town I live in is Glen Burnie, MD. I think I better edit my profile to just say "Baltimore", it will cause less confusion!
I have noticed that all the guys here agree that you have some serious chops in the coin work category, I'm looking forward to getting to know you, seem to be some great people here!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6927 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Charlie...

Thank you for including "The Coin Accomplice" in my shipment! One favor?

DON'T RELEASE THIS!!!!

This is GREAT! You were 100% correct in ALL 7 points! Please make this an exclusive...it would be sad to see this on Youtube!

Very grateful for this!

Doug
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8841 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey DS, you've just found yourself some real magic in developing a friendship with the Godfather here...He's the best! And yes, he's very good and quite prolific in his abilities, creativity and sharing. He has hundreds of original ideas and effects, coins, cards, whatever! Smile Your journey in all this just got better...You're riding in "1st Class" now. Smile Oh, and welcome to the Café man...It's a great place and IMHO, Vinny is one of the great things about it. Enjoy! -MB Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10791 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Marion thanks for the build up ....... lol
anyway don a pleasure to meet you welcome to the Café...
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Thanks Vinny, I think I'm going to like it here.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I played around with Bannon's Vacuum Packed, but I thought the lid was too large, and I never got used to the tweezer extraction.

What I have been experimenting with recently is a 5 ounce hot sauce (woozy) bottle. I soaked the label off because it wrapped all the way around (I'll make a replacement label in PhotoShop). I have the quarter pre-loaded and the cap on (quarter hidden by the cap and shrink-wrap on the neck).

There are two drawbacks to this bottle:

1. The quarter does not stay in the neck. It usually slides into the bottle of it's own volition if the bottle is held sideways. The problem can be solved by handling the bottle upside down or at an angle most of the time and having the spectator hold the bottle at a slight upwards angle by the neck. Or you can enlarge the hole in plastic "serving insert" and load the quarter into the insert.

2. The quarter is sometimes reluctant to leave the bottle. I think using a larger band on the coin can fix this.

What I like about this bottle is that it is tiny enough to carry around, can be examined afterwards, is commonplace (seen in almost every Burrito or Tex Mex eatery), and takes a quarter sized gimmick. I basically use Roth's routine, as it is straight forward. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

There has to be a "hot sauce / quarter penetration" storyline in there somewhere, but I haven't discovered it yet.

Douglas M.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help - best coin in bottle glass bottle? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL