The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Annemann's Complete One Man Mental and Psychic Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
I know that Stuart Cumberland Annemann-Act.com has put out an updated program of Annemann's work but I also notice that trickshop.com claims to have an updated program as well. Anyone who has both care to compare them? Thanks.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Here's the original, for $3.50:
lybrary.com

The first link in your post seems to describe the updated version extensively.

Here's the Trickshop.com version: trickshop.com

The only thing they say about their revisions (that I found): "Completely re-typeset with tips on updating the routine for contemporary performances"

Maybe others here can give you more info...
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Thanks, maybe someone can help me out with this.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Stuart Cumberland's version is described on 3 DVDs and one bonus CD. There is an ebook version as well if it is still being sold.

This is great stuff. Annemann had the right idea from the start in providing a full routine.

Stuart had the right idea in updating this for the 21st century. Although the performance only DVD is recorded horribly, it still gives you an idea about how the routine flows.

The explanatory DVDs and CD give you everything you want to know and more. Stuart has a strong personality and it comes thru frequently. Part of it is his passion for his art and the rest seems like impatience with people who aren't up to speed as quickly as he is. Still, he reigns himself in as necessary and this is a quality product.

I don't know what it is being sold for at present but it is probabaly too little.
You are not only learning the updated routine but the preparation, audience management skills, presentational skills, etc all by someone who obviously knows what he is talking about. I treasure this. While I haven't performed the whole routine, I have taken parts from it and they have played very strong.

Stuart has created something here that should be in any mentalist's library.

Bill
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Are we truly out of ideas that we must hack up another performers recently copyrighted released work and reissue it?

Do either of the two distributors above perform what their selling? I think not, or at least one I know doesn't.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Well, I understand that Stuart does perform this act and has for years.

I also understand the DVD's are a bit rough, but I do not have those.

I have the e-book version of it and it is very, very good. The improvements in handling and thinking are excellent and practical. It actually is an improvement over the original act in my opinion. It is explained well and with pictures to aid understanding.

The DVD's being rough (or so I've heard) do not detract one bit from the e-book...it is an entire classic act, improved, and taught well.

If someone else has the DVD's and has a different opinion about them, please post...my information is second-hand.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 00:18, mota wrote:

I also understand the DVD's are a bit rough...The DVD's being rough (or so I've heard) do not detract one bit from the e-book...it is an entire classic act, improved, and taught well.

If someone else has the DVD's and has a different opinion about them, please post...my information is second-hand.

I've got the DVDs and the e-book.

The e-book is still available and is well worth the money, I find the updating of the routines to be a good beginning/starting point for me. The writing and instuctional quality of the book is well worth the money.

I only wish I could say the same about the DVDs.

I was more than a little disapointed in the quality of the performance video, given that it lead the way with the advertising hype.

The performance show has a Mickey Rooney/Julie Garland "Grandpas' got a barn, let's up on a show!" feel to it.

To be fair, Stuart did say that the show piece DVD would not be L&L quality.

However, as he stated in the beginning of that particular, there was a rather serious glitch in that he had the video camara set on a tripod at the back of the audience set to wide view, but someone reset the zoom, thus cutting off a good chunk of the visual. The result is rather frustrating in that a lot of the action takes place off the visual of stage left/right. This ruined it for me as I was hoping to see the actual show from start to finish; which was the purpose of the shoot in the first place.

He did include an extract from another show that shows the use of the telephone book test, but it has an afterthought feeling to it.

Admitedly the other DVDs are excellent and provide a good tutorial on doing the effects.

I did send a note to Stuart asking if he had plans of doing a reshoot of the show, since he does perform it rather regularly. He said no he didn't.

This to me at the time, was a bit of a disapointment to me as from a marketing/PR standpoint Cumberland would have scored a lot more brownie points from those of us who spent a rather good chunk of change for what is for the most part an inadaquately produced set of instructional DVDs. He could have done a better job of customer care had he done another reshoot of the show, since he performs it regularly, and then sending it to those who bought the original sets. Given the limited relase of this set, he could even had offered it for the price of the duplcation.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
For the record, a friend has these and I´ve seen the performance DVD and one of the instruction DVD´s and it looked fine to me. Yeah, the camera angle on the performance was poor but I think, overall, that´s the price paid for doing a recording of a "real world" rather than the elaborate set-up used by L&L. I still think, despite those limitations, that I learnt a great deal from the DVD´s and when I weigh up what I learnt vs the limitations, the positive more than outweighs the negative.

Quote:
On 2006-05-18 02:35, mindguy wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 00:18, mota wrote:

I also understand the DVD's are a bit rough...The DVD's being rough (or so I've heard) do not detract one bit from the e-book...it is an entire classic act, improved, and taught well.

I've got the DVDs and the e-book.

The e-book is still available and is well worth the money, I find the updating of the routines to be a good beginning/starting point for me. The writing and instuctional quality of the book is well worth the money.

I only wish I could say the same about the DVDs.

I was more than a little disapointed in the quality of the performance video, given that it lead the way with the advertising hype.

The performance show has a Mickey Rooney/Julie Garland "Grandpas' got a barn, let's up on a show!" feel to it.

To be fair, Stuart did say that the show piece DVD would not be L&L quality.

However, as he stated in the beginning of that particular, there was a rather serious glitch in that he had the video camara set on a tripod at the back of the audience set to wide view, but someone reset the zoom, thus cutting off a good chunk of the visual. The result is rather frustrating in that a lot of the action takes place off the visual of stage left/right. This ruined it for me as I was hoping to see the actual show from start to finish; which was the purpose of the shoot in the first place.

He did include an extract from another show that shows the use of the telephone book test, but it has an afterthought feeling to it.

Admitedly the other DVDs are excellent and provide a good tutorial on doing the effects.

I did send a note to Stuart asking if he had plans of doing a reshoot of the show, since he does perform it rather regularly. He said no he didn't.

This to me at the time, was a bit of a disapointment to me as from a marketing/PR standpoint Cumberland would have scored a lot more brownie points from those of us who spent a rather good chunk of change for what is for the most part an inadaquately produced set of instructional DVDs. He could have done a better job of customer care had he done another reshoot of the show, since he performs it regularly, and then sending it to those who bought the original sets. Given the limited relase of this set, he could even had offered it for the price of the duplcation.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Mindguy = Moanguy
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
I only have Annemann's original version, so I can;t comment on the updates, though Stuart Cumberland's, particularly the e-book, sounds intriguing. For me, the value of studying Annemann's act has been a greater understanding of how to put an act together. From structuring and sequencing routines to prop and audience management, there's a lot to be learned here.
Adam Green
New York, NY
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
The advantage of the Cumberland update is that it takes something all of us should own (and which 99% of hte posters on this forum would probably overlook) and shows how it is still easily doable in the modern age. Cumberland has an obvious enthusiasm and a refreshing lack of ego in his writing (something increasingly rare in the Mentalism field) and it must be the Mentalism book I´ve re-read the most - every time I read it I want to get up and do the act.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I bought the PDF book of the update for $45 US - its still available on his website.... I found it was worth the price as it does add things to the original and the pictures help show the proper billet switching (I bought this ages ago before I got my Osterlind DVDS) - but is it worth $45 to a pro or talented ama. who already knows a lot of the techniques? I don't know... I suppose if you want to actually do the act itself as opposed to just learning some bits and pieces..- is it worth buying for collecting all mentalism things from the magic addiction point of view - probably - I know I didn't ask for a his disappointment offer.... but it was nice having to get some ideas and see other angles on classic effects - I figure the more angles, the more one comes up with oneself as well.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 12:38, Dr Spektor wrote:
I bought the PDF book of the update for $45 US - its still available on his website.... I found it was worth the price as it does add things to the original and the pictures help show the proper billet switching (I bought this ages ago before I got my Osterlind DVDS) - but is it worth $45 to a pro or talented ama. who already knows a lot of the techniques? I don't know...

Well, firstly a pro isn´t likely to NEED the book as, presumably, they´d already have a working show in action. As for a talented amateur, I think they´d get a LOT from careful study of the book. Firstly, like I´ve said already, the enthusiasm the man has for the act is terrific so it just might move the talented amateur into action (it did with me at least). Secondly, it´s a wonderful template of a Mentalism show - even if you don´t stick to the routines in the book I think it´s fair to say you could use the basic template and come up with your own routine. Cumberland obviously can´t take credit for Annemann´s genius in the set-up of the act but, like I said already, he shows how it´s still playable for a modern audience.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 08:23, shrink wrote:
Mindguy = Moanguy

Now now, let's not get personal here Sparky.

The comments made by myself "Shrink" are fairly tame compaired to those made by others.

You know full well that I'm not the only one who has raised and expressed their concern about the shoddy product that was sold.

I've kept the DVDs simply because of the instructional value of them.

However I am not out of line in commenting on the slip shod "professionalism" of the dvds, or of the rather strange reluctance on Cumberlands part to sort out that particular debacle.

If you get burned for a product costing over $100.00, and someone asks you about it, then why remain silent?

If those can moan and wail about Bob Cassidy for example and the poor delivery schedule he has, and at the same time continue to buy from him, why then am I not allowed to comment on what was touted as "the" presentation on Annemann and his show?

Shrink, frankly your response seems rather off....perhaps you need to get a bit more rest.

Posted: May 18, 2006 2:40pm
--------------------------------------------
Quote:
For the record, a friend has these and I´ve seen the performance DVD and one of the instruction DVD´s and it looked fine to me. Yeah, the camera angle on the performance was poor but I think, overall, that´s the price paid for doing a recording of a "real world" rather than the elaborate set-up used by L&L. I still think, despite those limitations, that I learnt a great deal from the DVD´s and when I weigh up what I learnt vs the limitations, the positive more than outweighs the negative.

In your opinon.

Now, does your opinon outweigh mine simply because you give a qualified endorsement to it, as do I?

In your opinon the shoddy show dvd isn't of much consequence. However there are many here on the Café and on other arenas, The Mentalism Asylum for example, just to refresh "Shrinks" mind, who take the opossing view, yet have kept, as have you and I, the dvds/cds due to the instructional value.

The simple reshooting of the show dvd, after all Cumberland does do that particular set on a regular basis, would have gone a great way to improve customer relations/feedback. Even had he re-shot the show and sold it those who bought it, at cost, it would have gone a long way from removing the stench of being let down.

Given the overall cost $120.00+ would that be too much to ask?

Since you haven't made the personal investment of the money your perspective might not be the same had you felt screwed by the poor return on the investment?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
You could easily send it back it has a money back guarantee I believe.

I can't see why your complaining. Why don't you reshoot it yourself if its that easy.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Come on guys; can't we have one thread that sticks to the topic and doesn't deteriorate into a P-ing contest? Lets just break out the rulers and be done with it! Smile

I find it interesting that Reuben said, "Admitedly the other DVDs are excellent and provide a good tutorial on doing the effects," and all that stood out was his, very valid, complaint about the performance video. This is way below par. Stuart knows and readily admits it, anyone who has seen it knows it could have been much better and we understand the glitch that was the major contributer to the problem.

I wish we had a better viusal example of the show. But like Reuben so accurately said, the other DVDs (and CD) are excellent. And this is where the meat of the whole thing is.

As for "does anyone really need this?," that is something for each individual to answer for themself. The same applies to the ebook.

I will say this. I will never perform the whole act. I have and will perform parts of the updated version, updated again due to the inspiration Stuart's enthusiasm and passion elicited from me. Even if I never performed any of it, I think these products are all worth the money.

I'm reminded of the oft heard complaint, "Why do I need to learn algerbra if I'm never going to use it in real life?" I had one great teacher (NOT a math teacher) who made it clear to me in a way I'll never forget: Learning algerbra teaches you how to think. I don't recall hardly any algerbra or geometry (something that beomes more painfully clear with each passing year of my daughter's eductation) but I do know that I still learned a great deal in my math classes about how to think. Once I opened myself up to that aspect, a lot of things started falling in place.

These DVDs, even if you never do a single effect from them, will help you understand what goes into thinking, creating and implementing good effects and a solid routine. I've heard this from folks with a lot more experience than me so I don't think it is simply my bias because I shelled out the bucks.

Good Thoughts,

Bill
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

So if I was a total novice do you think it would be better for me to see the act and learn from the DVD's or read the ebook?

Also if anyone has a set (legal copies only) they want to get rid of please let me know.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Like I said Bartles - beats me Smile - as a talented amateur myself, I did find it of value! But I'm an Annemann junkie
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 19:44, HypnotizeAmerica wrote:
So if I was a total novice do you think it would be better for me to see the act and learn from the DVD's or read the ebook?

Also if anyone has a set (legal copies only) they want to get rid of please let me know.

I got the ammended e-book before I got the DVD set.

IMO, the book is rather "reuben" friendly insofar that the updating of the effects are rather easy to follow. The book can and actually does work as a "stand alone" product.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
[quote]On 2006-05-18 14:35, mindguy wrote:
In your opinon.

Now, does your opinon outweigh mine simply because you give a qualified endorsement to it, as do I?
Quote:

Not at all - and I think we are both entitled to our opinion and free to express it as we wish. However in this particular DVD set we have that rare beast I nour field - something that comes with a money-back guarantee. What does ANYONE have to lose by buying it? It´s for that reason that I find your complaints puzzling. And of further interest is that you omit mention of the money-back offer when you complain whereas I would think that would be the first thing I´d highlight. And if you disagree with my opinion that the positive outweighs the negative then it´s even more puzzling why you didn´t just ask for your money back.

Quote:
On 2006-05-18 14:35, mindguy wrote:
In your opinon the shoddy show dvd isn't of much consequence. However there are many here on the Café and on other arenas, The Mentalism Asylum for example, just to refresh "Shrinks" mind, who take the opossing view, yet have kept, as have you and I, the dvds/cds due to the instructional value.

I´m in the Mentalist Asylum but don´t recall many people talking about the DVD. I´m not entirely sure I´d respect the opinion of most of that forum anyway. On the other hand I have two very good friends, one ni Spain and one in the US who have bought this and both are pros (one a Mentalist the other a Hypnotist) and both rate the set very highly. I personally think that anyone could buy this set and start a successful Mentalism career and not need to buy anything ever again. But that´s just my opinion.

Quote:
On 2006-05-18 14:35, mindguy wrote:
The simple reshooting of the show dvd, after all Cumberland does do that particular set on a regular basis, would have gone a great way to improve customer relations/feedback. Even had he re-shot the show and sold it those who bought it, at cost, it would have gone a long way from removing the stench of being let down.

He did reshoot the show, as you will know from his comments on the DVD but too many peolpe walked in front of the camera and the result wasn´t as good. And perhaps he was up against time to get the DVD set out. Regardless, You had the option of returning the set if you weren't happy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Annemann's Complete One Man Mental and Psychic Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL