The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Lew Anderson (final Clarabell the Clown) passes away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Lew Anderson, final Clarabell the Clown, dies
Musician, actor, 84, broke clown’s silence in show’s final episode in 1960

NEW YORK - Lew Anderson, who captivated young baby boomers as the Howdy Doody Show’s final Clarabell the Clown, has died at the age of 84.

The musician and actor died Sunday in Hawthorne of complications of prostate cancer, said his son, Christopher Anderson.

Long mute as Clarabell, Anderson broke the clown’s silence in the show’s final episode in 1960. With trembling lips and a visible tear in his eye, he spoke the show’s final words: “Goodbye, kids.”

Though Anderson was not the only man to play “Buffalo Bob” Smith’s mute sidekick, he was the best, Smith said in his memoir.

With the Peanut Gallery looking on, Anderson used bicycle horns to give yes and no answers. For more expressive moments, he wielded a bottle of seltzer.

The show, which launched in 1947 when televisions were still a novelty, was the first network weekday children’s show. Anderson joined “Doodyville,” a circus town peopled with puppets and human actors and watched by a Peanut Gallery of kids, in the mid 1950’s.

Though his fame as Clarabell followed him throughout his life, Anderson was also a success as a musician and bandleader. In recent years, his All-American Big Band appeared on Friday nights at New York’s Birdland jazz club.

Anderson was born in 1922 in Kirkman, Iowa. He started a band while serving in the Navy during World War II and later toured the Midwest with bands before landing in New York.

It was when he joined the Honey Dreamers, a singing group that appeared on radio and early television shows, that he met Smith and became a clown

“Clarabell just fell into his lap,” said his stepdaughter, Lorie George.

Anderson followed Bobby Nicholson, who later played Doodyville’s J. Cornelius Cobb, into the role. The first to play the mute clown was Bob Keeshan, who later became known as Captain Kangaroo.

Anderson, who lived in South Salem, is survived by his wife, Peggy, two sons, his stepdaughter and five grandchildren.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
A sad day.

R.I.P. Mr. Anderson.

:(

Regan
Mister Mystery
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I remember the day Clarabell talked and Howdy Doody went off the air. I was nine. I still think that might have been the very day that America lost her innocence.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Last month, cleaning out my mother's house (my home as a kid) preparatory to sale - there in the closet way in back was the zebra-striped remnant of my little Clarabell halloween costume.

[*Sigh*]
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Lew Anderson (final Clarabell the Clown) passes away (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL