The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A beginner's review of the 7 Deceptions and PK touches » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
These 2 items arrived in the mail yesterday, so I decided to add my 2 cents.

PK touches by Banachek
I'm not going to lie to you...I only ordered this for curiosity; and because it isn't very expensive I decided to give it a try.
When I began to read the method I smile to myself of how clever this effect really is Smile Why haven't I thought of that? Now, I get why you said this was all presentation. I'll definitely be using this in the future!
My only down point goes for the story...I really don't like the story behind it. I'm going to work on this routine try to find a more suitable one for me.
I only have this effect of Banachek, but are they all as good as this? I think I'll buy more...PKtime will be next Smile
IMHO this effect is really worth getting, you won't regret it!

7 Deceptions by Luke Jermay
I posted a thread about this one last week ("is 7 deceptions suitable for me"), and I was a bit concerned, I saw all the threads of people saying this wasn't for a beginner but I decided to take a change anyway...and I'm glad I did! I have only one word for this: WOW! (Is this a word Smile ) This material is absolutely amazing! It's really what I was looking for, impromptu effects (at least most of them) that I can do using nothing more than my words, and a deck of cards (in some).
But the advices that most people gave were right...this is not for beginners. For those of you who want who want to use this on stage you have to be very confident on yourself, and be warned that there isn't a 100% sure they will work. For those who do have some background on NLP (like me) and even if you don't have much practice on mentalism effects, you'll love this, they require some work and practice but it'll be worth it!
I spent yesterday afternoon learning only one effect to perform at a party I had last night with some friends. I learned "A darker Dai" and it killed! It's a simple effect, not very hard to learn and if well performed gets great reactions from the audience; I used the addition advised by Luke and fortunately for me they have chosen that card. Their reaction was priceless! Smile
Now I need to master the other ones, especially "For Andruzzi", it's like Kenton said: "is an absolute classic and the effect legendary".
This material is really powerful you won't regret getting it!
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
Good to see you like the books, many don't appreciate the sometimes "simple" methods and try to go for more complex techniques which stil results in the same (or sometimes less) reactions. I decided to change the story in PK TOUCHES and use a diferent method to "cleansing", as neither worked for me. As my persona is not of a psychic etc but as a pyschological illusionist , I use it as a "synchronicity" experiment where I will get a couple on stage and perform it. I have devised a close up routine which MAY be going in the book I am currently writing, the effect is a spec closes his eyes and counts the taps on his hand, he names "3" for example yet everyone will swear you never touched him, only gestured touches-I believe Derren used this on one of his shows...I thought I had created the effect, so I am looking into whether I can publish my method. The "story" I use for this that I use linguistics for them to feel sensations, using suggestion etc (snigger snigger!)

Both Lukes and Banachecks books are great, you should seriously consider having thembought you for christmas! lol. depending on you character, pk silverware is an excellent video, i vary rarely use it nowadays but kills when i do.
anyway, let us know if you get any more of their books,
bryan
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Quote:
I only have this effect of Banachek, but are they all as good as this?

Yes, Banachek doesn't put out crap (well he hasn't yet, he has a good track record) and the effects are exactly what's written on the box (i.e. adverts)

As for 7 deceptions, I'd be a little more stoic if in my review. Its a nice piece and certainly worth consideration. Quite a bit of it is new or modified presentations of well known principles/effects (no complaint here, we like new presentational ideas don't we?) and as such I would have perhaps liked to have seen clearer attributation for a couple of them...however...there is a little bit of something for everyone (although most people will find things that aren't to their taste at all):

Suggestion
Pulse Stopping
Alternative Perception
Card force
A modernized old sound reading routine.
A billet routine with a potential bonus

I've adapted the Butterfly Ballet to use a chimpanzee instead - much easier to catch. Smile

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
hittman,

Are you sure that this 7 deceptions could be done by beginner magician?
What skills do we need to perform the effect on this book?

Hengky
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Hengky, I can't see anything in 7 Deceptions that will be useful to a magician, to a mentalist however the booklet is useful.

As it draws in on several different skills and previously acquired knowledge I would suggest you have *at least* a good overall rounded knowledge of mentalism before you buy 7 Deceptions.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3340 Posts

Profile of Looch
is this avalible in the uk?
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1849 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2002-12-07 08:22, bigplumbz wrote:
I have devised a close up routine which MAY be going in the book I am currently writing, the effect is a spec closes his eyes and counts the taps on his hand, he names "3" for example yet everyone will swear you never touched him, only gestured touches-I believe Derren used this on one of his shows...I thought I had created the effect, so I am looking into whether I can publish my method.
bryan

Hi
This is my effect and my method.
I am doing it for more then 14 years.
Please don't publish it in any book
you write or any video you produce.

I will publish it very soon
And then you can buy it and buy the rights
to do it on TV if you like

thanks
Lior
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Hengky Ciptanegara: like AllThumbs said, for a magician it will probably don't have much use, but for a mentalist is GOLD!
But I don't have a "a good overall rounded knowledge of mentalism" (I've only read the 13 steps) and I can still perform the effects in there, this is because of my prior knowledge of NLP; for me this kind of language is not new, so it becomes much easier to perform the effects. I think that if you're a mentalist (or a wannabe mentalist like me) or at least know the basics of it (like a billet switch, double lift, etc), already have some basics on NLP and a good presentation skill you will find this stuff amazing! However if you're just starting in mentalism (again like me) but DON'T have any skill what so ever on NLP, or presentation, it'll be hard for you to get used to this kind of language and suggestions.
Remember these 7 deceptions are mostly based on LANGUAGE, there are some sleights (i'm not sure if I can call it this way) but these are the easy part of the effect, the trick is all on the language and your presentation skills.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3340 Posts

Profile of Looch
Well lior, youu better get in contact with Mr. Brown, as it already appeared on his tv special. I'm sure many people over the years have come up with something like this, not just you! Smile
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1849 Posts

Profile of Lior
I didn't understand your post looch...

Lior

PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
Thanks Hitman -

I have not really looked into NLP and suchlike much, but am fascinated by the whole thing. What kind of qualities do things like this need?

Is it really really amazing stuff? Like i said it has me gripped but am just not sure if i will be able to pull it off.

Thanks,
wiggys
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of wiggys
Lio, I think he means you don't own the rights to an idea, or to an effect that already exists.
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Quote:
Hengky, I can't see anything in 7 Deceptions that will be useful to a magician, to a mentalist however the booklet is useful.

I found quite a lot if useful! Smile
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Lior, Looch is saying that Derren Brown apparently used your method on TV. Did Derren acquire the rights from you?

He is also suggesting that many people have independently invented your method and that because of this you should not be complaining.

Looch, Lior has apparently been using his method for close to 15 years. I have only heard people discuss it or starting to claim it as their idea since it was exposed here at the Café and the number of people who have been using or known about lior's method until recently has been quite low. I suspect those people that came across the post at the Café do it rather obviously unfortunately. Lior is now faced with the rather uncomfortable position of having to publish all his ideas to prevent further pillaging and to be properly credited. An idea, I'm sure he's not totally happy with.

So everyone be careful about the information you give out on these boards. An exposure is an insult to someone who has spent years perfecting a particular routine and helps nobody - not even the people who think they gain from reading such revealed knowledge.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1849 Posts

Profile of Lior
Thanks Kris for your words

Dear wiggys/Dear looch
I invented this effect. It wasn't exist before I did it. I think that I have all the rights about it .
I did it on my TV shows in Israel and did it
in the first PEA meeting in NJ 1998 that I attend.
How can you tell me that I don't have the rights to an effect I invented???

Can you name others that invented that effect??

thanks for your help
Lior

PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3340 Posts

Profile of Looch
lior

my apologies, the method is a different version to what ive seen
all the best
looch Smile
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
Wow, guys...didn't mean to start a war! This method you guys talk about (I ain't gunna ask what it is) I had no idea it had been exposed. That is terrible that Lior must now release his thoughts in order to keep them wrapped up, if you understand me. I did genuinely have no idea that this effect was yours lior. I will PM Lior now to explain what has happened etc, Thank you guys for your input anyway.
Bryan
Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
I think the most important thing to know about effects such as those in 7 deceptions is that the performer should already have a routine that is well performed and completely believable. Without a firm grasp of the basics of mentalism the effects in 7 Deceptions may well be interesting to the beginner but next to impossible to actually perform.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I also just received 7 Deceptions and PK Touches. Great work, both of them! When I read PK Touches, I was astounded at how diabolical the method was.

I also just picked up Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties." It too is an amazing piece of work
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Hittman,

What do you mean by "you have to have a good overall rounded knowledge of mentalism"?

Yes I am called myself a magician not mentalist but I do not see any big difference at all. For me, the main point of doing mentalist is "Forcing" and "Toying" with your languange and presentation. That's it.

You said that 7 Deceptions use a kind of languange, is it mean that any language outside English could not be used to make this effect work, isn't it?

Hengky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A beginner's review of the 7 Deceptions and PK touches » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL