The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Charity Events (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
I have got a few phone calls asking would I do a charity event. I will do it on a few conditions, 1. Petrol, 2. Reference, 3. News paper photo. I have no problem asking for a reference or petrol money but how should I go about asking to get in the news paper?

Mike
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Charity organizations will rarely have control over what an editor chooses to place in a newspaper, telly report or magazine. Frankly, it has been my experience that the charities are more concerned about getting publicity for their cause and their star donors than for the "hired help." If it's an animal rescue cause, for example, they're more likely to want photos of the dogs and cats with children than of a magician on a stage.

It's often up to you to set the stage and attract the publicity yourself. I support three children's charities solely. All others are required to pay my full fee. When the photographer or news cameras are near I make a point of seeking out children supported by the charity. I then break out my best close-up comedy material so that the children are laughing up a storm and really enjoying themselves. This makes GREAT photo and media material and I nearly always make that evening's news or the next day's newspaper or magazine. Don't count on the charity group to do this for you. You're little more than a space filler for them.

The same goes for the reference. Check on the resources available from Jim Snack, Julian Franklin and John Cooper for the best advice in this area.

Finally, be careful. Once you become known as a "benefit performer" you will be deluged with requests for free appearances. I used to have a very hard time saying no...and was killing myself for very little return.

Best wishes!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20525 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Skip makes the point perfectly.

If you want to support the charity, then by all means do it. If you do charity work for free thinking it will benifit you in some way, then usually it does not benifit you as much as you may think.

The thing to keep in mind also is almost nobody is workign it for free. With few exceptions to this rule.

Fund raising is a big business and usually the performers are the only ones who don't know it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You can often times change a charity event into a fundraising event that will in return benefit both the charity as well as yourself. As Danny stated, there is big money in this if you go about it the right way. When I do a fundraiser, it is really a win-win situation for the charity or organization and it also guarentees me income as well. In this way both parties benefit from the relationship.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
You can ask to be put in the Journal. Most organization put out a Journal for the event and sell ads. You can get a free ad or article.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
There is always something of value that a charity can give to you in exchange for your services. They need to knwo you have value and worth and they can repay you in forms other them money. Nucinud mentioned a great one above.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
A few suggestions to consider when weighing the value of accepting charitable engagements:

Ask to be put into their program book, listing your company name, logo and web site and givinh thanks to your company for donating your services.

Have them understand that you will wnat to be able to hand out your business card freely but discreetly at the event, to the "right" people. Ask them to introduvce you to these "right" people that eveing during (or after) your performance.

Ask them to pay your regular fee, then donate it back as a charitable donation for a tax receipt.

Ask that they include your name in the pre-event invitations that are sent out to their entire constituency.

Ask for a web link on their organization's web site prior, during and for a few weeks following the event.

Ask them to direct the news photographer over to you when you are performing as to provide an interesting "action" shot , and to send out press releases (which you could write yourself), announcing the event and that there is a photo op since there will be an entertainer present doing visual and interactive tricks.

Or, refuse "free" shows except form the one or two organizations that you truly care about and wish to support, then charge these "other" worthy charities a "special" reduced fee, but do not reduce it too much more than your normal fee.

Let them know that you can justify this from any extra publicity you might receive (ie. see above ideas) and by having a green light to hand out your business card discreetly. Also, be sure to let them know that you will want them to write a nice testimonial letter following your event.

Hope the some of these ideas are of help.

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Charity Events (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL