The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Slydini Vs. Bobo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
I've noticed a number of post referring to the talents and contributions of Bobo, but not many on Slydini. Watching Slydini on Ed Sullivan was probably my introduction to magic, so I'm pretty fond of his work...although admittedly, you don't hear his name mentioned with the same frequency or reverence it seems.

In the mid-70's, I lived in Pennsylvania an started attending meetings and lectures at James Swogers--he manufactured larger stage illusions and sold over-the-counter tricks as well. Probably the most incredible experience was the presentation made by several of Slydini's protages that came to demonstrate their skills and sell some products. Amazing, in-your-face work with coins, cigarettes and rolled up paper balls. I bought some Slydini books and propas ... and practiced 6 months on my coin roll until I finally got it down.

I'm starting to get back into magic...after way too long. It's unfortunate Slydini isn't getting the recognition he deserves. I'll have to pull those books out of storage and see what I can update to 2006. I suspect a master's work is never out style.

BooRadley
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
A search for Slydini related posts yields 2556 posts
A search for Bobo related postes yields 2387 posts

As you can see - there is no need for a "who is better" or "versus" type thread - they are both equally loved and revered (and greatly missed) in the magic community.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3499 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello

Yes, there are a great many admirers of Slydini right here in the Magic Café and we heartily welcome you! I've PM'd some updated information for your enjoyment.

Julie
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I think what Boo is getting at is that Slydini isn't mentioned in the coin workers sections as much as Bobo, but that's obviously because Slydini was famous for all types of close up work, not just coins. I love his torn and restored cigarette at a dinner table. Truly a thing of beauty.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Bobo wrote "Modern Coin Magic" which is probably the most recommend book for coin magicians.
Slydini has some great material available, but is not nearly as ubiquitous as Bobo's book.

The more ubiquitous work is more likely to be referenced more.
It has nothing to do with the talent, or showwmanship of either legend.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
I just doubled-checked my copy of Bobo's "The New Modern Coin Magic". The Bibliography lists "Magic of Slydini, The - Slydini - (1960)".
Seth E. Paternoster
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
For some reason folks have glommed onto the Bobo book as a primmer. It was not intended as such. The intended audience would have already read the Huggard book and worked through the material in the Downs and Buckley books.

Slydini was working from a different set of tools and ... well he was almost self taught. Smile There is MUCH to learn from his magic. Funny thing in that Slyidini and Ramsay were around at the time yet their work was not included in MCM. Go figure.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jonathan, would you list those three books please?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

A request for the books folks had read at the time? Okay...

T. Nelson Downs: The Art of Magic and Modern Coin Manipulation.

Arthur Buckley: Principles and Deceptions

Jean Huggard: Greater Magic and Coin Magic

Edwin Sachs: Sleight of Hand

Camille Gaultier: Magic Without Apparatus

Various (published by Tannen's) : The Stars of Magic

Just a quick list off the top. Please ask Paul Chosse and others a few years older for more items.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jonathan, thanks ever so much for that list. Some of the works I'm familiar with, some not. I want to check out that Buckley book.

I had heard that T. Nelson Downs put some impossible sleights in his book "Modern Coin Manipulation," sleights he never really used, such as 20 coins back palmed, to discourage would-be imitators. Is that true?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 19:07, CasualSoul wrote:
I think what Boo is getting at is that Slydini isn't mentioned in the coin workers sections as much as Bobo, but that's obviously because Slydini was famous for all types of close up work, not just coins. I love his torn and restored cigarette at a dinner table. Truly a thing of beauty.

You hit the nail right on the head.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I take it, since no one answered my question above (about T. Nelson Downs), that it is indeed true?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-05-24 23:01, Ray Haining wrote:
I take it, since no one answered my question above (about T. Nelson Downs), that it is indeed true?

what sort of presumption is that?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
OK. There are other possibilities here.

In addition to being true, it could also be that nobody knows or, if they do, they're not talking. That in and of itself may also be for a number of reasons.

Any other possibilities?
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Well Bobo said that some of Downs' sleights were impossible, and that some of those in MCManipulation he didn't perform, something about not enganging in such tom foolery on stage.
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Are there some video material on Slydini and Bobo? I only watch a short clip of Slydini manipulation on ball in Tim Wright's Multiplying Balls . And Bobo was on Coin Classic 2 showing his vanish coin.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
For Bobo, there is Vol. 23 of the Greater Magic Video Library, just released on DVD.

For Slydini, there is the 2-DVD set "As I Recall ...," which contains video of Slydini, performances and explanations of Slydini effects by Cellini, who was a Slydini student, and other material.
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 02:03, snowboard wrote:
Are there some video material on Slydini and Bobo? I only watch a short clip of Slydini manipulation on ball in Tim Wright's Multiplying Balls . And Bobo was on Coin Classic 2 showing his vanish coin.

Oh. I mistook Slydini for Cardini. I need to know well about both of great guys.

Thanks Ray for the video resource.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You think Slydini got short shrift in Bobo's, go back and see how many Vernon entries there are. I think I counted two. And nothing that hadn't appeared previously. Drop by my column in the "Buffet" section for more answers.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......9&17

Don't bother looking for the most recent entries. There aren't any. But I'll get back to this soon, promise. "Soon", as in "probably before Mickey's DVD or Palms of Steel 4 are released" that sort of "soon".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Slydini Vs. Bobo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL