The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Original illusion makers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Kane
View Profile
New user
Sweden
36 Posts

Profile of Daniel Kane
Hi!

I´m looking for some very clean illusions for a show.

Some of the effects I´m looking for is:

1: Making a person appear in the cleanest way.
2: Making someone levitate, float, either myself or an assistant.
3:making someone disappear in the cleanest way.

These are some of the effects i´m looking for, but without the old style of boxes.
Are there any illusion makers in the business that are so to speak ''cutting edge''?

Please come with any suggestions, either in the thread or pm.

Best regards
/Daniel
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Gary and lenora ferrete (SP)

"Magic Makers" from sum where near toronto
Daniel Kane
View Profile
New user
Sweden
36 Posts

Profile of Daniel Kane
Quote:
On 2006-05-19 09:39, MagicalOdyssey wrote:
Gary and lenora ferrete (SP)

"Magic Makers" from sum where near toronto

Thanks!

I will check them out!

If anyone else has some other idéas don´t hesitate to write!

I´m looking for illusions that are very clean with no strange boxes.
If there are gonna be some props I want it to be ordinary props, like a normal chair, ordinary looking table etc.

Does anyone know of any illusionbuilders that has that style in their illusions?
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I think most designers and buliders are able to create those things, you just have to be spend a lot more money ... that's the secret.

But I reccommend: XR Illusions and Owen Magic (especially for theyr FOUNTAIN IMPAILED levitation), by the way you also might find something that interests you bit more from http://www.tilfordillusions.com/ and http://www.walterblaney.com/illusions/ Smile
Daniel Kane
View Profile
New user
Sweden
36 Posts

Profile of Daniel Kane
Quote:
On 2006-05-20 08:24, Face wrote:
I think most designers and buliders are able to create those things, you just have to be spend a lot more money ... that's the secret.

But I reccommend: XR Illusions and Owen Magic (especially for theyr FOUNTAIN IMPAILED levitation), by the way you also might find something that interests you bit more from http://www.tilfordillusions.com/ and http://www.walterblaney.com/illusions/ Smile

I was thinking if there are any that already has that ''style''.

I want to build a more believable setting for my illusions, and want therefore to use ordinary props or none.

Here are some examples:

If I were to make someone appear I want it to be on the floor and the only cover would be a draping. Or maybe have an ordinary looking chair and then cover it for half a second and the person is sitting on the chair.

These are some examples on making somebody appear.

The same with a levitation, I want it to be done on the floor, not on a platform.

Are there any new and ''revolutionary'' idéas?

Any suggestions are welcome!

You can pm me if you wish!

Best regards
/Daniel
sethman
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of sethman
You can do some unbelievable stuff with black art. Look into that.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
When I first started doing "Wizard Style" magic - that is, magic without boxes and tubes and big heavy suspicious looking props, Jim Gerrish built me a Garden Gate Illusion setting for a backdrop. He made it out of wood back then, but since then he has discovered the portability and cheapness of PVC pipe, so you'll find the instructions in his PVC Pipe book #1, in case you don't already know it. I used to do a version of the "Sidi Boo Said" but without the usual big cabinet.

Anyway, my routine for it sounds like what you are looking for: A small boy from the audience comes up and is handed a small basket. He is told to take a magic carpet from the basket. He opens the basket and looks, but the basket is empty and he says so. I waved my wand at the basket and he reaches in and this time finds a large six foot by six foot silk decorated with an oriental carpet design. He hands me the "carpet" which I hold up and then "capture" a "ghost". I put the ghostly apparation and the carpet off to the right and ask the kid for another carpet.

Once again he finds another six foot "carpet" decorated silk. Once again, I produce a ghostly apparition and set it off on the left. I ask for another carpet and this time he produces a 36 inch silk "carpet."

I tell him this must be where my flying carpet got misplaced when I was doing "spring cleaning" last year. I wave the carpet around and then make it stiff. It rises and lowers like a magic flying carpet. I ask the boy if he would like to take a quick ride on it. He says "yes," (naturally! who would turn down a ride on a flying carpet?). I picked him up and placed him on the carpet which was hovering about three feet off the ground (this was at a time when it was OK to pick kids up during a show without getting hauled off by the police).

He just sits still on the carpet while I pull a flowering vine off the Garden Gate Illusion and it forms itself into a hoop, which I use for the boy to "ride through." I then lift the boy off the carpet and set him back on the ground and the carpet suddenly flies off into the wings.

I ask the boy to find another carpet in the basket, which he does... another six foot silk. I use this for the finale to "Sidi Boo Said." I produce one more ghostly apparition and set it to front and center, while I take the basket from the boy and produce one more six foot by three foot silk- this time a blue silk with gold stars and moons. I stand behind the blue silk and suddenly it flutters to the floor and I have apparently vanished. The figure on the right, throws off its carpet and turns out to be one of my apprentices. He and the kid go to the figure on the left and uncover it to discover another apprentice. Now all go to the last apparation in the center stage and when it is uncovered, it is, of course, me, having reappeared. I then thank the boy and return him to his seat while my apprentices clear off the remains of the illusion.

If you don't know the "Sidi Boo Said" workings (it also went by the name of "Things That Go Bump In the Night"), they are included in Gerrish's PVC Pipe Garden Gate Plans. The rest of the workings should be fairly obvious, but it made a very nice stage piece with a plausible theme and story-like flow. I would have used it for my finale, but I preferred the Cape of Invisibility Illusion for that honor.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
Here are some examples:

If I were to make someone appear I want it to be on the floor and the only cover would be a draping. Or maybe have an ordinary looking chair and then cover it for half a second and the person is sitting on the chair.

THe boxes and carts that such magicians as David Copperfield use are for the expense reasons more then not looking clean. To go into a new theater each night or week and rebuild the stage with traps and elevators would be more costly then reasonable to perform. So, the replacements of boxes carts such is a brillant alternative to say playing in Las Vegas for seveal years.

If you are looking for a clean methods, the alternative is to redesign the stage. Very costly, but that is as clean as you can get.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Look a Jack Murray's site. It is http://www.dream-illusions.com . He is innovated and a top builder.

Patrick
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Wmhegbli you are absolutely right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Original illusion makers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL