The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Monkey Fist Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
OK, I didn't know where to put this, but since they are made from rope, I thought you guys could help me. I am trying to make my own monkey fist balls, but I'm getting a little discouraged trying to tighten them. I am using leather shoe-laces, as recomended by a close magician friend. I can tie them, put the marble in, but tightening them is really hard. Any help at all would be appriciated.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13336 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Tightening them? sure, that's where most of the time is spent. There's not much to tell at that point except practice.

If you can make one in less than 30 minutes you're a good beginner. If you can make one in 5 minutes I would say that you are an advanced monkey-fist ball maker.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The place I would look for expert advice on these is the Blue Jacket Manual (US NAVY!)

This knot is used at the end of the line and shot over to the dock or another ship to start feeding the mooring lines to tie up. They start with a small size line and work up to the large ones that will really tie the ship to the dock or another ship.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
477 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there Bob, that's where I learned how to tie mine. I was in the Navy for many years and those cold watches in CIC were spent on moves and such. Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There you go Brian! The Navy created lots of rehearsal time!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
477 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Yes sir it did, got my spread pass down and many other things while protecting our great country!~
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Sunnydolan,
Once you have the knot tied and the core is in place, tighten from the center, working your way out. You will find it goes much quicker doing it that way. It is also easier to keep the latigo straight. A good set of needle nose pliers comes in handy. Be careful not to mar the wrapping.

Regards,
Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I just want to ditto what other said about doing it in free work time... I cant imagine how work days would go without magic as a hobby... everything else is too large to carry into work and even if I don't have anything, patter/presentation alone can use up all my free time Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Monkey Fist Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL