The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Purse and Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
This is an extension on the holy grail thread. If I have to be honest my holy grail of coin magic is to be able to perform David Roth's Purse and Glass routine in a restaurant environment. Watching this routine is what led me down the path of coin magic and couldn't believe what I saw. I spent months learning every aspect of the routine the timing, the sleights everything (as a side note I always laught my head off when David has shown the purse and the glass to the audience - he is so far ahead it is fantastic). However, I have only performed it a handful of times as I work in an environment where the lapping etc would just not be possible. I have spent years trying to think of ways of performing the effect stand up without losing any of the elegance of the routine but I have had no luck.

Does anyone here have any ideas or know of any sources that I can explore that might eventually help me reach my holy grail?

Thanks in advance

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27152 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-05-22 02:10, Craig Petty wrote:...Does anyone here have any ideas or know of any sources that I can explore that might eventually help me reach my holy grail?

In Expert Coin Technique Roth offers some methods which work for doing the trick standup.

Curtis Kam also published some work which applies to this routine, as have Goeff Latta and others.

Enjoy
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
You may be able to do this routine with a stand up/Close up table,
and a servante..

That is what I do.

Good luck.

Shawn.
Shawn.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks Johnathan, do you know where I can find any of the Curtis Kam or Geoff Latta published material? I heard Geoff Latta had a version of the routine, isn't it a very quick version which is over in seconds? I will have to check my copy of the Roth Book I had no idea he offered advise on stand up handlings!

Good suggestion Shawn but I am never in a situation where I can use a servant, in fact I don't even oiwn a close up pad (just a shuffle board). I find that practicing material on a close up pad makes it difficult when I am out performing in situations where I haven't got one. I force myself to rehearse everything on normal tables or my little shuffle board which makes it easier for me. This makes matrix near on impossible but I do a lot of one card stuff a lot like the Free Flight routine by Paul Harris and a Business Card and Signed Coin Routine of Michael Rubenstien.

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Mike Gallo also has a routine called "In Purson" out of The Collected Almanac.

I hear ya though Craig with the issues that you're having. I too had the same ones. I ended up developing my own routine loosely based own Latta's version. Mine's called "Trading Places" It can be done entirely in the spectator's hands, uses no gaff coins and best of all only uses 6 coins and no extras.

Good luck in the search,
Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27152 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If it helps to put some of the pieces together for you...

I used a Chinese folding purse that becomes a flat rectangle when closed and started with 3 silvers in EG. You can probably find the HPC switch out of EG in Harry's magazine or book in an "instant wildcoin" item.

Then with three silvers openly displayed and three Chinese in LH fingerpalm, Roth's Hanging Coin method worked very nicely as half the method for making the coins change. This is an open thread so can only cite Ramsay's productions from the Cylinder trick for the other half without giving too much away.

That's what I used to do in College circa 1984. Folks liked it. I dumped in the three Chinese coins, then they held the purse. At the end I offered to trade them... (makes nice EG display moment) then let then say "no" and they pour out the coins into my open LH. A simple utility switch later I appear to have empty hands. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Purse and Glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL