The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper coins routine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Ooops sorry about the duplication....gggrrrr
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2833 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Was Tony eating Dorito's when he performed it? He has a bad habit of having cheesy fingers if you didn't notice Ron. : )

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I've thought about picking up a flipper for a while, but wanted to see a video of a routine with a flipper before I made the plunge. Anyone know where I can see one?
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
Some would not like to promote that they are using a flipper in a recorded performance...although I do agree with you, I'd like to see some routines with shells and flippers so we know what effects are possible in the hands of experts. I'm a hack, but I do know some of my work has mystified laymen when using a shell. I'd like to add the flipper and make some "real" magic.

Some think the use of these props cheapens the routine. I for one don't care HOW you did it as much as HOW WELL you did it and mystified me. I understand pure digital manipulation is an artform--and I appreciate it--but a whole lot of normal folks outside the magic community don't care if a prop was used. They just remember being entertained.

BooRadley
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a flipper when compared to a shell?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1902 Posts

Profile of tbaer
The videos I've watched either have a shell routine or a flipper routine. I have not seen any video routines that uses the flipper with the shell. I think that would make a great effect. Does anyone perform with this combo?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes folks have used the flipper with the e] to good effect. I believe Troy Hooser published some routines of that kind.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2006-05-29 18:00, Sleightly Small wrote:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a flipper when compared to a shell?

What they have in common is that you can show one coin as two or two as one.

However, the shell coin allows you to completely seperate the two coins. Also a shell can be used over multiple coins. You cannot do either with a flipper.

A shell is usually easier to seperate from a coin.

A flipper is harder to open and usually requires a flicking motion, unless it is one of the new gravity types.

Benefits of a flipper are that two coins become one without any moves - you can toss the two coins, and instantly they become one. You can also toss a flipper from hand to hand as one coin, a shell would fly off of a coin, unless it was shimmed over a magnetic coin.

Personally, I think a shell is way more versatile, though when you need two coins to become one by tossing them, or dropping them, a flipper cannot be beat.
Click to visit:
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Just in case anybody missed it, I forgot about this video that uses a flipper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXWeImSCS34

Although this is a nice routine, I'd like to see more with a flipper.

Johnathan, congrats on breaking 13,000....wow.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I just watched the clip mentioned by Casual Soul. Pretty routine. Interesting choice for accompanying music, though. I wonder if he directs his corporate clients to view that clip, unless his corporate clients are rap record labels. Hey, I think Frank Zappa's song "Billy the Mountain" is a really cool song, but I certainly wouldn't use it as background music for a magic clip. That could be a new technique for mis-direction. Right at the critical moment when the "dirty work" is about to happen...throw out an F-bomb, that would shake 'em up. I wonder if Mr. Vernon ever consider that technique???
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Coin magic as performed by South Park's Cartman?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 01:53, patrick flanagan wrote:
I just watched the clip mentioned by Casual Soul. Pretty routine. Interesting choice for accompanying music, though. I wonder if he directs his corporate clients to view that clip, unless his corporate clients are rap record labels.

Ha ha ha......

So far none of my clients have seen any of my work on the web, that I'm aware of....

This video clip was actually circulated among a small group of "like-minded" individuals in the magic community and the music was merely a joke. I was purposely added as an inside joke. Everytime I watch it, I roll on the floor laughing....lol
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Nate,

David's Flipper coin routine is called "Heavy Metal" and it's a great piece of magic.
Very streamlined, like all of Dave's work.

travis
It's all in the reflexes.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 18:05, patrick flanagan wrote:
Ron Jaxon gave me my first experience with a flipper around 1991-92 at the first Abbott's convention I had attended. I didn't know anyone at the convention, so I mostly stood around and observed. I happened to get too close to the action at the VFW and became a volunteer. He did a coins across routine in my hands and completely knocked me out. I had not heard of a flipper coin at the time. That moment was a special feeling for me to have been able to experience "real" magic. And that memory is still vivid in my mind. I could walk past Ron now, and he would have no idea who I was or how powerful that moment was to me. That moment has always motivated me to try and leave that same impression on people who watch me perform. I strive to create that type of memorable experience with the spectators I encounter. Thanks, Ron for that moment and the inspiration.
Patrick

I love finding out things like that. Makes me feel like I've done something right once or twice. Smile Be sure to go to the Abbotts get together again and come say hello to me.

Eric:
Nice coin routine on that video. I have something I've been cooking up for a while now that would make a great ending to that routine. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the info.

I've tried for some time to make a video of my flipper coin routine. The problem is it's hard to get the full effect on video. It's much better experienced live. The first two phases of the routine I do are in Mike Powers new book Power Plays. He didn't include my last two phases. He feels that the first two phases are so strong that nothing can top it. I agree to some point but I still perform my last two phases. The phases go as follows:

Phase 1Spectator shakes 4 coins between their cupped hand. One coin vanishes and appears in magicians hand.

Phase 2Magician holds one coin under the table. The spectator drops 3 coins on the tabletop. one coin goes through the table.

Phase 3One coin vanishes from spectators hand and makes a surprise appearance on the table next to the other two.

Phase 4Last coin travels from magicians hand and makes a surprise appearance in the spectators hand. The spectator now has all 4 coins.

I love the routine because each phase happens in the spectators hands and none of the phases can be explain with logical thinking (meaning they have no idea a gimmick is being used). Many magicians wouldn't place a gimmick in a spectators hand but after years of performing this routine I've come up with many subtleties to prevent them from discovering it.

If I where asked to perform one close up routine to someone this would be the one I'd do. Not much can top it in my opinion. Of course, you have to know how to present it as always.

I'll try to make a video of it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
Jeez Ron...I sort of like to see that one. I know video may not be the best experience for it...but I'm really interested in some flipper routines. I also like to get full details. You said part of it was published...is it available anywhere else. I really like effects that take place or use the audience hands. Having 4 coins turn into three in a spectator's hands is just too cool for school!

I think you should market it!

BooRadley
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
Jaxon,

Let me know when your video is ready . Thanks
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2833 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 23:52, meauxfeaux wrote:
Nate,

David's Flipper coin routine is called "Heavy Metal" and it's a great piece of magic.
Very streamlined, like all of Dave's work.

travis

Thanks for the reference man! I wish I would have purchased this years ago when it was still available. I can't even remember the routine now!

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magicday
Is "Heavy Metal" in a lecture notes or in a video ? Thanks
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Heavy Metal was an individual routine sold by David many years ago at his lectures. It came with the necessary flipper coin.
You'll be hardpressed to find it these days.
It's all in the reflexes.
poprocz
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of poprocz
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2362
Heavy Metal by David Harkey

This might be the same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper coins routine (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL