The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending spoons.. Banachek dissapointment (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
psi-co
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa
134 Posts

Profile of psi-co
Just a question... and I know that the original post is a little old... but what did the video clip refer to look like? Can anyone remember? The link doesn't seem to work any longer.

-Alan
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Banachek and Osterlind's bends are classics of course, but also check Patrick Kuffs. He has some very interesting ideas in his metal bending videos, which also contain some amazing bonus effects (e.g., how to follow metal bending with a seemingly impossible drawing duplication!).
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
Psychokinetic Silverware by Gerry & Banachek is a great DVD. Very instructional but also a fun to watch due to the humor of the two. One of my better purchases.

Best,
G.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Saqib,

I just read your opening message to make sure your original question is being answered.

I have most of the dvd's being discussed above on utensils.

In my opinion, Osterlind's spoon bend may be a more "direct" effect for your needs.

It is done flatly in the palm, and without some of the finger-wrangling of others.

Hope this helps,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
For me it was an Al Mann manuscript that taught me metal bending.

It focussed on Banachek and Richard Osterlind. Since then I have bought numerous DVDs and Books and nothing compares to what I read all those years ago.

Al Mann put out some amazing stuff and this is one I will treasure forever.

Thank you Al Mann, Banachek and Richard Osterlind for introducing me to metal bending.

The prong/tine bend on the Banachek Fork Bend is out of this world. When people see it bend towards themselves they freak out!!!

You cant get better than the two masters.

(I bought liquid metal a while ago and thought it was a bit too "moovy". far too much going on and you can achieve the same result with a little bit more misdirection and time. I like for the bends to appear slowly not instantly)

Peace & Love

Matt
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18808 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I can only get a spoon to bend once or twice very subtley...i like it that way...

same with if I can make a coin bend, it always feels very hot to both me and the participant..and sometimes..just sometimes..it causes a little blister to appear on my finger too...
I've asked to be banned
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Again, it all comes down to putting in the hours and hours of practice that great magic requires. To be able to perform the trick or effect as second nature, without thinking about it, being totally confident you know what you are doing.
Spoon bending is powerful magic. Uri Geller made his name and reputation doing it, as have a few others. Its worth the work!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Wow, it's a very old thread !
Perhaps if you dig deeper you can find a thread before the Café was there Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2214 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Is it just me or should this thread be down in inner thoughts.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
[quote]On 2006-12-29 04:23, Sven Rygh wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I don't do them to perfection here, but again, what is perfection? Methods,gaffs, or presentation??
I have done that routine for years, on stage and close up and surrounded, and it has always served me well.

Sven

Perfection is fooling your audince not fellow magicians. We tend to over think effects just to be able to fool our fellow performers. I finally got out of that trap. I don't need to impress magicians. I need to entertain my audiance
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
honestly I don't like his bends or most of his material in general. psychokinetic.. is not what I'm looking for, too much non-directness... moving and bending, misdirection and stuff.

That 'misdirection and stuff' is the route to just about every wonderful, entrancing, amazing, wow-did-you-see-that!, possible life-changing moment it will ever be your privilege to give to a spectator or an audience. It's a shame that you place such little value on it. As others have said, give it time, grow in your experience and understanding of what it is we do, and explore the alternatives all you like. Eventually, you'll come to realise that 'misdirection and stuff' is the art that makes miracles possible. You will also realise that Banachek is the finest practitioner and teacher you could wish for.

There are two persistent and very damaging beliefs in magic and mentalism. One is that there is such a thing as a 'self-working' trick. There is another that effectiveness and greatness are available to anyone able to purchase the latest toy or device offered to the market. Both of these beliefs are just plain wrong. This is easily understood as soon as you invoke even a simple comparison with any other performing art, such as singing. Do singers browse through catalogues advertising 'self-singing' songs? Do they think owning the technology to mime to a song will confer praise and respect as a singer?

Learning 'misdirection and stuff' may take time and be difficult. Well, so be it, because there is no viable alternative.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Try pointing off stage and shouting "Hey LOOK a hedgehog!" great misdirection
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
scathmadre
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of scathmadre
For non-gimmicked bending: http://forkbend.com/
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of ventman
Banachek and Osterlind are the best. With their techniques I have completely fooled some brilliant minds. Audience management and direction of attention are the key. That doesn't come in a box.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 16:48, ventman wrote:
Banachek and Osterlind are the best. With their techniques I have completely fooled some brilliant minds. Audience management and direction of attention are the key. That doesn't come in a box.

I've fooled some stupid minds, does it means at last brilliant and stupid minds are similar?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
web
View Profile
New user
Roanoke, VA.
24 Posts

Profile of web
I love new gimmicks and fancy methods involving prep as much as anybody else. But I would never perform a mentalism/pk effect that I couldn't do via an impromptu method when necessary..silverware/key/coin bending...plastic bending...tk pen...moving objects..mind reading..all can be done without having any prep time or a single prop on you. That "misdirection and stuff" is the most important part of nearly every routine I perform..and if it's not misdirection it's certainly very indirect and psychologically driven/supplemented.
StJohn
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of StJohn
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 17:16, parmenion wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 16:48, ventman wrote:

I've fooled some stupid minds, does it means at last brilliant and stupid minds are similar?

I think he meant if you can fool brilliant minds then you will be able to fool less clever minds. This is not logical?
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Don’t own the book, but got to see Banachek do this at a lecture, sitting less than five feet away. Amazing stuff, no gimmicks, and very little preparation. You could do this impromptu if you had even 10 seconds alone (or with your back turned).

Actually, forget that. It's only one part of a routine; you can bend spoons instantly!

And that misdirection and stuff is the key to greatness. Immediately after the lecture I took my wife to lunch downtown, and was bending a spoon IN HER HAND as we waited for our food. Dynamite!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
One of the things that Banachek taught at is lecture I saw 2 years ago in Orange County, CA was that when it comes to spoon bending, sometimes less is more. Even the smallest of bends will amaze a lay-person. It doesn't take a lot, sometimes when you do extreme bends it looks more like a trick that something real.
RBMentalist
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RBMentalist
To be honest. It depends on your routine, how it's structured, and where you do it. I feel simpler is better but that's just me and my routine. I use, for example invisible touches and "hypnosis" to draw attention away enough to hide the slight.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending spoons.. Banachek dissapointment (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL