The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending spoons.. Banachek dissapointment (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1724 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 11:09, RBMentalist wrote:
I feel simpler is better but that's just me and my routine. I use, for example invisible touches and "hypnosis" to draw attention away enough to hide the slight.

That doesn't sound all that simple, but your mileage may vary. In my experience, the monkey business in Banachek's metal bending routine requires very little misdirection, and what is required can be provided by speech and body movement.

Just my opinion though of course.

Phill
Get the elegant Amethyst DMC ELITES V5 deck while stocks last (8 bricks left from this run):
-+: https://store.dmcmagic.com/ :+-
daleshrimpton
View Profile
Regular user
the u.k
135 Posts

Profile of daleshrimpton
I put a spoon on the table, or in their lap, and cover it over.

I then give them another spoon, and ask them to try and physicaly bend it.. whilst they think about bending the one on their lap....
needless to say the one on their lap is bent when they uncover it.. and they are unable to bend the one in their hands. ( because its a really solid spoon, and I make them hold it at their finger tips) Smile
music
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of music
Chad Sanborn has a nice bend that uses one spoon and can be given to the spec at the end if you want. It is a visible bend and is very easy to learn.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I was watching SUPER 8 the other day, fun movie, especially the kid's movie at the end.
Yes, I know this seems off topic, but it isn't. When I listened to the commentary, there was a surprise, a recreation of something that Uri did back in the 70s, all I Could do was smile.

There is a lot of wonderful work on bending, A recent addition is the beginning of Kranzo's routine on his BOONDOCK MENTAL DVD. Although not for purists, it is a neat addition that also hides any dirty work.

Richard Osterlind also provides some wonderful tips on a technique from Ben's wonderful book, G3LLRISM R3V3AL3D (I only mention this as the reference was not quite right on the DVD) on his latest project.

Personally, I love the Harris move mentioned above, Guy's work, and David Williamson's contribution. Bold is beautiful.

Also, can we move this downstairs?

Tony
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12060 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yes indeed please come on downstairs by the fire.....
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Kuffs tape has been the best I've watched in terms of variety of bends. You can't go wrong with that.
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
964 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Banachek and osterlind are the best in bending metals in ny opinion.
I left all gimmicked trick I bought and I switched to banachek improptu bending.
study the time for misdirection ,the type of spoons the moves.
you will be satisfied with his methods.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3303 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I use in my show a mixture of methods (Banachek, Osterlind and others) and I have created a nice routine with a builded crescendo and works really great!
No gimmik, nothing, only spoons and a lot of imagination....
:)
mike herbert
View Profile
New user
mike herbert
56 Posts

Profile of mike herbert
Quite frankly I think the whole thing comes down to presentation ie framing and context. I recently stumbled across a clip of Geller, early on in his career, and I marvelled at the mileage that he got from a tiny bend in a key. The audience were astounded, his presentation made them beleive. Of course we are in a different time now and possibly the hardest misdirection is establishing who and what you are together with the appropriate presentation so that when you leave your audience they are talking about your powers??? And NOT how the trick was done.
Mike
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2121 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Well said, Mike.

I saw Uri live in the early years. AMAZING. And you re-iterate a point I've been making over and over here at the Café: PRESENTATION. Yes, Uri could hold an audience spellbound for 20 minutes putting a MINOR bend into a spoon. It was surreal. It forced you to question your understanding of the universe. This was showmanship at it's finest. World headlines underscored that!

An example of over-throwing the laws of nature (as metal bending implies) DESERVES respect and space. Piling one bend upon another, over and over, does not do this. It may be very clever, but it is no longer PROFOUND.

I secretly (well, not anymore) wonder if Uri's career would have been entirely different (maybe a lounge act in Vegas) if he had started his career with one of today's interpretations.

Cheers

Ben Harris
(author: Gellerism Revealed, 1985)
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
mike herbert
View Profile
New user
mike herbert
56 Posts

Profile of mike herbert
Ben
Your "gellerism revealed" was the first piece of material I read on Geller and still is my favourite. I smile when I see the fancy gimmicks for bending a key when your book shows how to bend keys with no gimmicks and totally impromptu which is still brilliant.

I work as an entertainer mix and mingle but not as a magician, I often entertain? A crowd after you guys, and 90 percent of the time I hear them discussing the marvels that they have just seen. You would be astounded how many of the times I hear the correct solutions being given for the tricks by Mr know it all. Surely you would want the people to be talking about you and your abilities rather than the tricks themselves. We need to misdirect them away from the tricks and more onto what we are claiming, whether it be supernatural, an expert in sleight of hand, body language expert etc. Gellers act was brilliant, the concept, the character the context, etc. He even let the scientists test him to gain a better understanding of his powers. Remember a magician is an actor playing the part of a MAGICIAN. The question is what is a MAGICIAN? Framing and context are everything and the rest should follow. I look at a lot of magicians and wonder as to what they are trying to be, including the big boys. Don't get me wrong I don't have answers which is why I do something else, but I am getting closer.

Sorry to digress just a problem I have been (and still am) wrestling with for years.

Mike
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2121 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Mike,

The question, "What is a Magician?" is a fascinating one. In today's world technology seems so magical in itself. The famous saying, "A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic..." seems strangely relevant.

Cheers.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending spoons.. Banachek dissapointment (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL